Tapiddy Tap

Tapiddy Tap

A Poem by IcyDicyDo
"

I looked into the graveyard mist, these words came to me with a Steven King twist.....

"

Tapiddy tap tapiddy tap plunk

 

As I looked out into the swirling mist

 these words came to me with a Steven King twist.

 


I was having lunch while parked alongside a gravel road beneath a canopy of giant pines and drooping hemlocks.  It was drab day with light rain falling straight down tapping out a drummers lament on the truck roof. 

 

Tapiddy tap tapiddy tap plunk.

 

I gazed out the truck window into old neglected graveyard that has been forgotten in the folds of time.  Ancient headstones hid in the long grass, others lean like drunks against their neighbors, taller monuments were glacially tipping over hurrying to join their fallen friends laying scattered in the weeds. 

 

Tapiddy tap tapiddy tap plunk.

 

Moss and dark lichens cover the old stones leaving them with unsightly green and black blotches.  In the dim background rests an old log cabin that has trees growing through its rotten roof.  The air was pregnant with a damp musty smell.

 

Tapiddy tap tapiddy tap plunk.

 

A tall, time worn Madonna stood patiently watching the decades march into the folds of time.  She too is covered with green and black blotches, except for her face which is surprisingly clean.  Try as I may all I can see are the shadows of her eyes.

 

Tapiddy tap tapiddy tap plunk.

 

Coming alive the mist swirls around the old headstones, gathering then disappearing like so many ghostly waifs.  Through the thickening mist the old cabin seems to float in and out of focus, blinking at me from the shadows of a rainy day.  

 

Tapiddy tap tapiddy tap plunk

 

The mist grows as the breeze slows, a Blue Jay shrieks in the distance Jay Jay Jay.  In moments all sounds are swallowed by the growing mist no sound just the rhythmic, primal

 

Tappidy tap tapiddy tap plunk

 

A tall weed quivers when brushed aside by the passage of something that cant be seen.

 

Tappidy tap tapiddy tap plunk

 

A spot of color appears dancing across the headstone settling on Madonna face.

 

Tapiddy tap tapiddy tap plunk.

 

A strong gust of wind wailing like a banshee scatters the mist and confuse the shadows.

 

Tapiddy tap tapiddy tap plunk.

 

I can see Madonnas bright eyes, she is looking right at me

 

Tapiddy tap tapiddy tap plunk

 

The wind shifts, trees drip, the shadows move quickly. silently.


Tapiddy tap tapiddy tap plunk.

 

Thin strands of mist flow out of the graveyard wrapping around my truck.

 

Tapiddy tap tapiddy tap plunk.

 

As I inhale the graveyard mist, time reverses; the years tumbled away.

 

Tapiddy tap tapiddy tap plunk

 

They have gathered around the truck and are watching me, They are very thirsty.

 

Tapiddy tap tapiddy tap plunk

 

The truck door opens and they rush in.

 

Tapiddy tap tapiddy tap plunk

 

I don’t feel right.  Im cold and very tired.  I can barely keep my eyes open; I think I need a nap……

 

Tapiddy tap tapiddy tap plunk --- SLURP

 

They are still there waiting for YOU THEY ARE STILL THERE WAITING FOR YOU and they are very thirsty.

 

© 2017 IcyDicyDo


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

86 Views
Added on March 3, 2017
Last Updated on March 3, 2017

Author

IcyDicyDo
IcyDicyDo

Clifton Park, NY



About
I strive to create a visual picture on the readers mind. Writing is fun, I have been writing for years but never did anything with my product, maybe it is time. more..