The Other Side of Life

The Other Side of Life

A Stage Play by turtlegirlluver
"

Princess Isabel has everything she wants, but when she loses it, she finally realizes how well off she really was.

"

Present Day

Kingdom of Balsuria

 

Princess Isabel: (a teenage girl- siting on a bed in an over-the-top bedroom. Expensive things clutter the room. She is talking on the phone) I know! It's so unfair! They won't let me get a new iPod, because my last one is sooooo old. (Pause) Yeah, I got it last week, but I need a newer one. And they won't give me money for it. (Pause) Yeah, James is coming to pick me up soon. (another pause) I don't know, a few parties, movie, haven't decided yet.

 

Queen Charlette: (from offstage) Isabel! (knocking on door) Come down to the parlor, we need to talk!

 

Isabel: No, I'm on the phone!

 

Charlette: (offstage) I don't care, you need to come down now!

 

Isabel: (on phone) Yeah, she wants me to talk…I didn't do anything wrong…If anything it's something they did that I'm getting blamed for. Okay, I'll call you later…sure, bye! (hangs up. Groans and slams door stage left-blackout)

 

(In palace parlor right after last scene)

 

King Alexander: Sit down, we need to talk.

 

Isabel: Naw duh, that's why mom came to get me.

 

Alexander: We need you back here by eleven pm. We know Prince James of Ashnic is responsible, so don't blame things on him.

 

Isabel: What? He's the one that goes against you. I didn't do anything. (a knock on a door is heard) That's James, bye! (runs offstage right)

 

Alexander: Come back, we're not finished here!

 

Charlette: Oh, what are we going to do about her?

 

Alexander: I don't know. She thinks she needs everything, that she's always right. She tries to rebel against us.

 

Charlette: We need to set down some rules. This can't go on any longer.

 

Alexander: Yes, tomorrow things are going to change. (King and Queen walk off together stage left-blackout)

 

(Next morning in parlor)

 

Alexander: Isabel, somethings are going to change around here. For example, you will follow our rules, you will not get everything you want, and curfew will have to be a lot earlier. Considering the last night you came back at one in the morning.

 

Isabel: I didn't do anything! The party went late and James wanted to stay.

 

Charlette: Stop blaming others and take some responsibility!

 

Isabel: What! But I didn't do anything! You try to control my life! I just want to have fun!

 

Alexander: Just listen! Fun can come within reason, but you have gone too far!

 

Isabel:  But I cant' have fun if I don't get what I want!

 

Alexander: We have spent all our money on you, attempting to keep you happy. You should be thankful!

 

Isabel: So? It's what you should do. And besides, it isn't working anyway because I'm not happy!

 

Alexander: See, that's what's wrong. All the riches of this family can't even make you happy.

 

Isabel: No, listen to me! I know what makes me happy and I don't have it!

 

Alexander: No, this is one of those times where you need to keep quiet and listen to me.

 

Isabel: But, I…

 

Charlette: Issy, please be quiet and listen to your father.

 

Isabel: Why do you always take his side!

 

Alexander: Not everything revolves around you. Sometimes you need to think about other!

 

Isabel: Why can't you see things my way!

 

Alexander: That's it! I can't stand it anymore! The world is not about you. Just…just go…leave.

 

Charlette: But, Alexander, don't do this, please.

 

Isabel: No, I just want you to know that me being banished wasn't just your idea. (crying Isabel exits stage right-blackout)

 

(lights up in the slums of Balshuria. Isabel enters form stage right, arms crossed. Whispers and stares form the crowd)

 

Man in crowd: Hey you!

 

Isabel: Who me?

 

Man: Yes. You're Princess Isabel aren't you?

 

Isabel: Yes.

 

Man: You! (points finger) You ruined our lives!

 

Isabel: But, what do you mean?

 

Man: You want everything, and of coarse your father gives it to you. Instead of spending money to help his kingdom, he spends it on you. We are now poor, homeless, and hungry, all because of you. (crowd comes in with exclamations of agreement)

 

Isabel: But I… (the crowd starts to gather around her, angry. Isabel runs off stage left. Blackout)

 

(lights up in a small run down house. Isabel sits in a chair, afraid. A knock from offstage) 

 

Isabel: Who is it?

 

Messenger: (enters through door) It is I, a messenger, bringing news from the palace.

 

Isabel: How did you know I was here?

 

Messenger: The villagers said they saw you come this way. Since then I have searched high and low to find you.

 

Isabel: So, what's the news?

 

Messenger: You might want to sit down (seeing that she is already is sitting, he continues somewhat embarassed) Oh, right. Um, I really hate having to be the one who has to tell you this.

 

Isabel: What is it!

 

Messenger: (Rambling) Um, Prince James heard about you being banished and came to take revenge on your father. James stabbed your father, killing him. A guard killed James, trying to protect your mother. Your mother ran away, to save herself. She hasn't been back since. Nothing was left for you in your father's will. A new king and queen will be anointed.

 

Isabel: Why did James kill my father?

 

Messenger: He was mad at your father because he banished you. He was very happy when he was with you, so without you his anger rose. He wanted you to come back, but his anger got the best of him. All I know is that there was a big argument between your father and James. Let's just say that didn't go well. Out of anger, James killed him.

 

Isabel: (slowly realizing what has happened-stunned) But, what about me?

 

Messenger: You will live here, among the locals. Maybe the new king and queen will have money to help the poor. I'm sorry.

 

(Isabel starts to cry as the messenger leaves stage left. She has learned her lesson and regrets her actions. Hold pose, blackout. End of play)

 

 

© 2008 turtlegirlluver


Author's Note

turtlegirlluver
I wrote this for my english class (we had to write a greek tragedy) I know the format is not correct, but it's my first stage play. Sorry if there's grammar problems.

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Featured Review

nice funny bit there with the messenger.... "you might want to sit.... oh right"

i can imagine the actor slapping his forehead with an embarrased look on his face.

for first stage play it's really pretty good. i would love to see more descriptions. what was the parlour like? what kind of clothing do the characters wear? little details and what not. plus you could always expand the character of james. i felt a little cheated not knowing much about him other than he loves (or has a major crush on) isabelle and also has an anger problem. i'd love to see the scene between the king and him. what was said?

i think you have potential to be a really good storyteller or playwright. keep it up!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

nice funny bit there with the messenger.... "you might want to sit.... oh right"

i can imagine the actor slapping his forehead with an embarrased look on his face.

for first stage play it's really pretty good. i would love to see more descriptions. what was the parlour like? what kind of clothing do the characters wear? little details and what not. plus you could always expand the character of james. i felt a little cheated not knowing much about him other than he loves (or has a major crush on) isabelle and also has an anger problem. i'd love to see the scene between the king and him. what was said?

i think you have potential to be a really good storyteller or playwright. keep it up!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

:) i liked it lol lil weird in places but i ignored it since i figured ur english class prompt for this was prob weird...

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
2 Reviews
Added on September 2, 2008
Last Updated on September 29, 2008

Author

turtlegirlluver
turtlegirlluver

About
I love to perform, write, and read. I love sea turtles and want to save them. I am obsessed with music and listen to it any chance I get. I feel that writing is one of the best ways that I can express.. more..

Writing