Respect

Respect

A Poem by James K. Blaylock

Respect

 

hearts of darkness,

do not try placing claim over me...

 

for this razor-edged-life has made

this hide tough, and this tongue tougher

 

so now, let us evade from

doing harm to one another,

 

and instead, pass each other

with mere glances; of some respect

 

3-24-08

 

© 2008 James K. Blaylock


Author's Note

James K. Blaylock
The poem means whatever it means to the reader, really. But as for me, I'm unaware as to who the Conrad you speak of truly is. Sorry.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

amen. good to see a writer who can 'stand' against the onslaught - with integrity. I don't get much 'onslaught' - I am one of the great unread, but I know those who do recieve a lot of 'sludge' for their craft...and your poetic idea is the better option. Well stated. peace.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very nice. I can apply this to my job. Ugh. lol
People in general, are often what make other people the way they are.
There is no such thing as respect any more. We live in an effed up world.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Conrad came to mind for me as well! Maybe that is indeed the Heart of Darkness connection as well, good and to the point here, like more should be in honesty.

Posted 16 Years Ago


Wouldn't it be a much nicer world for us if people had more respect for their fellow mankind? Even those who have developed the tough skin still need some kindness shown to them. Very thought provoking, good job

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hey Dude,
Glad to see we're buddies!
I spent a full evening last week with your stuff and loved it! Which is progress for me as I don't usually get on with poetry...

Here, I'm just reminding myself here of Conrad (just thinking aloud really as it's difficult not to make the connection!), who you rely heavily upon there for your opening - (......it may or may not have been intentional (?)
(although I see you use him in a different context - you are still using him...)

I see Conrad in 'Heart of Darkness' intending a much more profound message when Marlow is observed edging around the truth at the end of this powerful little book. There is much more to the end than Marlow merely being kind or spineless, so for me the whole meaning of "Heart of Darkness" becomes much more of a human issue... rather than merely a reference to being disrespectful (?)
I know that sounds picky and long winded - just a personal perspective...
As Conrad himself was a mariner he describes water passage with such feeling, maybe this is why I read:

'this high tide tough, this tongue tougher'

now that's including a bit of respect for the provider of your opener man!

do not try placing - I read: place no claim

merely glancing respect - I don't know... hmmm?
I was always taught that respect had to be earned! but I do like your referring to this
'razor-edged-life'
cool!
cheers and thanks!



Posted 16 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is good! It's short and comes right to the point! I think the structure worked well. The poem flowed easily. Great work!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

i like the edge you added to this. it made it stand out

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is great James, and you're absolutely right. We all need to respect each other more. I believe there's also a song by Aretha something called R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

This goes to favs. Keep up the good work.

Love it



Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I LOVE this. Yes, love is even in caps...

It's short, but honest. I can relate.

-R

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

well-written....simple, to-the-point, and speaks on a very basic level......so easy to identify with.....love it!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

453 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 24, 2008
Last Updated on March 30, 2008

Author

James K. Blaylock
James K. Blaylock

Tyler, TX



About
Hi, I'm James K. Blaylock and I'm a poet/writer. I'm 39, and I live in Texas. I was born and raised here. I have been writing now for 13 years and I've been blessed to be published a number of times. .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


youthful tears youthful tears

A Poem by Nico