chapter 2 , Was Home Worth  IT

chapter 2 , Was Home Worth IT

A Story by lastchildborn


Chapter 2
Was Home Worth  IT

I was invited to stay on for awhile  by the  WW11  veteran  he was going  to  help  me fine peace in  my  brain  also help remove the ghost of war if he could. The next morning I ran in a pasture with soft green  grass now instead of battle fields burnt  and torn apart that once was beautiful and green. Now I had other problems as I trun to see a bull chargeing  with  a warning   this pasture wasn't  big  enough for both  of us so he did his best to  chase me down. I  manged to fine a tree to climb up . Mr. Bull  was determined he was going  to  bring  me down.  Digging  his huffs in the ground , snorting mad as a bulldog trampling  round and round that old rotten tree I claimed at the moment  to be my  best  friend .He just  didn't  want  to be  defeated by a tree and a stranger in his pasture. After awhile  he just  looked at  me as if to  say   chicken ,, with  his last  snort he truned and left. I stayed there untill  he was clearly  out of sight. I got down  and ran  to  the edge of the pasture and walked alongside the fence just  in  case Mr. Bull came back . Finally  I got to  the dirt road and climbed over the fence . I felt  much  safer now heading up the dirt road kicking  stones as I went  alongside the pasture  I heard a nosie look up   saw that  bull  watching me so  I picked up  the paste  nearling running rather than  walking  just  to  get  out of his sight . A while later I came across a pond conected to the road. I relized I was on the dam  . There I saw logs floating  in the water on  them  was turtles , reaching  down  I picked up  a rock rolled it around in my  hand to  fine the best hold on  it  then tossed it at  the turtle hit  the log  instead , I keep on untill  each  throw was further away each  time I threw it, guess you can say my  arm  was giving  out or either I was a lousy thrower. I heard a bumping rattling trun round  and saw the  town  barber riding  toward  on  a bike. Hey boy ,  what bring  you out  here on such  a beautiful day? With a chukkled  a grin on his kind face? Just looking  around sir . Can  you give me a hand for awhile  son? Yes Sir be my pleasure . We then began walking down  the road  he was asking many questions , where I was from , what was my plans ?.Do you ever call  my parents ?  Well  I never did answered anything  he asked because before he was done with  one quistion he had another one waiting  to  ask .  He seem  like he would be a nice grandfather that  cared for others .  Ok  now we are going  into   the woods here, we  went in about ten  feet he then  laid his bike  down  began covering it over with  a few limbs  looked up , said this  is why  I ride a bike when  I come here  with  another grin. We began  to  walk  again   he said I am  glad I ran  across you today I needed a extra set  of hands ,,yes I'll  be glad to  help  you sir. We made our way deep back into  the woods  we came to  the same pond I was throwing  at  the turtles in. The old man  trun  and told me   this had to be our secret   I agreed It would be. He began moving  limbs away from  the path, finnaly  I began  to  see a  object  relizing it was a poudtune with  a big  can  on  it. The more I looked the more wiered it got. We climbed on board  meet Sally he said  ,my  boat  her name is Sally . Well  whats all  this on  her sir. Again he chuckled   thats right son  you're from  the city I forgot,, well  young  man  this here is a bootleg  steal  , I make the best  in  the county, handed me a small  tin  can  have a  taste of it , I did as he asked then nearly  lost  my  breath as I swolled a mouthfull,  Lord did it burn I mean  deep inside  I had  a fire I yelled for water he said that  want  help  it will  pass in  a few minutes , I must have trun  ten  shades of red for I have never seen  anyone ever laugh  so  hard in  my  life as the barber did,    son  you have now had the best  moonshine in all of South  Carolina   our county sheriff been  trying  to  shut  me down  for years he first got to locate  Sally  with  her floating  steal .  Every  now and then  we move to diffrent  parts of the shore .  Yea we keep  the  dogs confussed also our sheriff is mighty puzzled .  Plus I have a friend  who  works for the sheriff  who  lets me know if he is getting  close to  my steal  mainly  because I give him free moonshine  . Well  anyway  I am  going  to  move Sally  now, that is why I needed you, You pick  up  that  long pole  push on  the bottom away  from shore then  we will  move up  to  one of my  other places.   Now I use to use   firewood   besides I don't  think  Sally  would like it anyway with a grin he chukkled .. So propain  is the best way to go there is no  smoke to lead anyone here, yes it might cost  a bit  more to  use but  you can  set  a timer to replace having  to  be here to cut  it off or on.
As I pushed on  the pole it sunk  deep  into  the mud it got tight and hard to  pull out . The barber yelled at  me we got to  get  this out of sight before someone pass by so  push  boy harder son.   I was thinking  to  myself what  in  the world ,I had gotten  myself into at that  time he said well  done now we can  start  the engine just  had to  get  out of the mud, after awhile it sinks into  the mud a bit  you got it out,, when  I was younger I could do  it by  myself but  guess age is catching  up  with  me. Here's where we will  park  Sally, mighty  nice place , she will  like it here I know I do  . Ok young fellow let hang the netting  over those low limbs it makes a great camouflage . Should anyone fine Sally theres a trip wire that  fires  a flair gun toward town that  warns me not to  go  anywhere near her .Here is the pilet light it comes on every three hours for a hour by  that  time it has gotten  hot enough  to  boil the pot of mash. We been  here long  enough  lets make our way  back to the bike  to  go  home. O thank  you by  the way  for your help. No problem  sir ,,  We walked awhile and he then  said  here is a short cut  and no one will  see use return and wonder what  we been  up  to. I walked behind him then  we came up  behind the  general  grocery store  . We said our bye's and went  our on  way.

By Rodney Ray  Hatchell     3-9-09 .

 

© 2009 lastchildborn


Author's Note

lastchildborn
this is not a finished writing will have to edit .

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

218 Views
Added on March 9, 2009
Last Updated on March 9, 2009

Author

lastchildborn
lastchildborn

Batesburg-leesville, SC



About
I am only myself I try not to deceive anyone or try in anyway to get on there so call good side ,,I write to please Jesus and myself. So everyone else can take it with a grain of salt. Ho.. more..

Writing