Pr(ison)otection?

Pr(ison)otection?

A Poem by Curious Cat
"

Oh, are you protecting yourself? what about from the dark?

"

I was born in this small land. This land was called the same as I am. It was plain and flat, but it was peaceful.


In this land, I built a house. It was small and simple, just some walls, a ceiling, a door, and two windows, but it was comfortable.


One day, I heard some news. It was about the cannibals, they raid homes to eat and steal. They have come and they were near. And foolish me, and in my hurry, I did what I only knew. I locked the door and barricaded the windows.


The first night they came, they knocked on my door, knocked on my window. I didn’t answer, I was scared. I know I am. They know I am. They told me kind words. They told me they’re friendly, and that I should open the door. Still I didn’t answer. And after a while they left. They could have busted the doors with force, I know they can, but they didn’t. I wonder why, perhaps they were too amused playing with my fears to kill me the first time.


The second night they came, they did the same, they said the same things, and I was scared the same. I didn’t answer. They left the same, but this time they did something different, they laughed before they left. Perhaps they weren’t able to contain their laughter. I am scared. They know I am.


The third night they came, they did the same, they said the same things, but what spoke was a different voice. Was it really them? Was it help that arrived? But they did the same and said the same, so I was scared the same. I didn’t answer. After a while, they left.


I needed a greater protection, I know I do. But foolish me, and in my hurry, I did what I only knew, I removed all the doors and windows, and replaced them with walls. That way I know they can never enter. And it did give me the feeling of safety. I was relieved.


The fourth night they came, they didn’t knock, they didn’t say kind words. They laughed, this time even louder. And this time, they told me mockery and insults. But I was no longer scared, so I tried to sleep. But I can’t sleep, their laughs and insults are becoming louder. After a while they left.


I needed a greater protection, one that not even their laughs can enter. But foolish me, and in my hurry, I did what I only knew. I made the walls so thick that not light nor sound can enter. I was relieved.


The fifth night they came, they did the same. But I was now able to sleep.

Wait, did they? Did they laugh? Did they leave? Did they even come? I wasn’t able to know, I wasn’t able to feel.


...


The fiftieth night, I don’t know if they still came, If they still laughed. But it doesn’t matter at all.


I need no safety, I need no relief. Not anymore.


I built myself the greatest protection, but I locked myself in the worst prison.


This prison is my graveyard, it is small and simple, just some walls, a ceiling and more walls, and it is dark, cold and quiet.


I died in this small land. No, this land is no longer called the same as i am. I don't know if it's still the same plain and flat, but i'm sure its no longer peaceful.

© 2018 Curious Cat


Author's Note

Curious Cat
Hello, i'm still a new writer so any of your thoughts would be great :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

63 Views
Added on September 23, 2018
Last Updated on September 26, 2018
Tags: life, sad

Author

Curious Cat
Curious Cat

About
Likes: reading, sometimes writing, coffee, thinking, crafting, anything that keeps me away from boredom. (:/)/ more..

Writing