Jesus And The Internet

Jesus And The Internet

A Story by V. Smith
"

Short bit of dialogue between two characters I'm working on.

"

"I have this idea. You wanna hear it? Of course you do. I hate most people in this world-"


"That's your idea, you hate most people-"


"No, let me finish. . ."


. . .


"Can I finish?"


. . .


"Thank you, I was saying, I hate most people, that's not really part of the idea, I was. . .what'd you call it? qualifying this-. . .I don't f*****g know, I was just saying I hate most people. I mean, with their stupid lives, stupid faces. Lives full of meaninglessness-"


. . .


"Okay, don't misunderstand me, I know that I'm not some rarefied being, enlightened, superior, of the upper tasty crust, but I think that I have an understanding of my subconscious that a certain group of people share, ya know, I'm in touch. . .I'm not self-important, well, only to necessity, I mean, we all have a need to be self-important, it's required for our sanity that we assign significance to our own personal time-lines-"


"What's your idea?"


"Right, the idea is, I start this group. . ."


"A group? . . ."


"Ah, come on, you don't even know what's it's for. Why'd you say it like that?"


"Aaron. . ."


. . .


"Aaron, every time it's with these groups. I mean, it's like you think all you need to do is start some group and-"


"Well, yeah, that's were it starts, finding like minded people."


". . .What does that even mean? a group? You want to go some place and. . ."


". . .talk."


"Talk?"


"Yes, talk. . .you know communicating, that happens to be how we as a species interact, with these funny things called words."


. . .


"What do you have against my groups? Look at all the greats, they all started with groups. I mean, you got. . .umm."


"Ha."


"Shutup. You got, ummm, like, Jesus."


"Jesus? You're gonna give me, Jesus."


"Yeah, Jesus, disciples and s**t. Yeah, you got Jesus, and take any great author. The author wasn't great on their own, it took a group of people to make the work of the author great. Through critiques, readings, editors, all that stuff. And. . .and, you got the Internet."


. . .


"What do you think that is? Uh?"


. . .


"It's a giant f*****g group. So, I'm gonna start a group, like Jesus and the Internet."


Drew wasn't admitting his defeat to Aaron by silence. He's preoccupied with looking for their exit. He leans over the steering wheel, his skin takes on the light from the instrument panel. He cranes his neck to catch the passing signs. Hushed, to help his search among the reflective lettering of the passing signs, he breathes, "Jesus and the Internet."

© 2012 V. Smith


Author's Note

V. Smith
Working on developing these two characters for a longer piece that I'm working on. How does this dialogue sound? Natural? Humorous?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is written so wonderfully. What a pleasure to read.
You really got conversations down pat- even the awkward pauses that people have while talking while driving.
Your characters are very real.
Thumbs way up

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

V. Smith

11 Years Ago

Thank you, I'm glad it flows and sounds like a real conversation. Thanks a lot for the read and revi.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

154 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 21, 2012
Last Updated on December 21, 2012
Tags: Jesus, Internet, Dialogue

Author

V. Smith
V. Smith

Austin, MN



About
Unpublished writer; full-time corporate employee; father of two; married (nine years); 31; live in small town; gaining confidence; crafting craft. more..

Writing
"Jazz Blood" "Jazz Blood"

A Story by V. Smith