Light

Light

A Story by Trevor
"

One of my roommates had a dream. This was his dream. It's a story of fear, demons, and lots and lots of water.

"
Nick was a swimmer for his college.  After being a swimmer for years, he was used to being around a lot of water but never like this.  The wave towered high above his head.  The wall of water seemed like a beast charging from the ocean, devouring all in its path.  Nick wanted to avoid ending up on that list, so he ran.  The nearest building would not be quite tall enough to escape all of the water, but it would do. 

Behind him, screams arose.  The closer to Nick the screams erupted, the closer he knew the water was getting.  Glancing back, Nick could see the people he had passed in his mad dash being engulfed in the near-living water.  Reaching the building, he climbed the fire escape to the roof.  Leaping over the ledge to the safety of the roof, Nick surveyed his surroundings.  The remaining members of his swim team were already there, along with a few strangers.  A deep swimming pool stretched out before Nick.  This was where the team's meet had been earlier that day.  Most of the team that made it to the roof was in the pool now, swimming around without a care in the world. 

Before he could ask what everyone was doing in the pool, the building shook violently as the wave hit.  The force of the impact threw Nick forward into the pool.  He swam easily to the pole at the side of the pool to climb out.  Nearing the edge, he could see the bit of water that reached the roof slide down the pole.  Nick grabbed the pole and tried to pull himself out of the water, but the pole was too slick.  Every time he grasped the pole, his hand slid off as if the piece of metal was greased. 

He tried to yell out that they were trapped in the pool, but the noise surrounding him drowned out Nick's call.  When he tried to yell again, he was cut short when the water suddenly began draining.  Screams of terrified swimmers rose from all directions.  Cries of "we're trapped! We'll never get out of here!" were heard from all over the pool.  Just as suddenly as it dropped, the water level began to rise once more. 

Why the water lowered and rose so quickly should have crossed Nick's mind, but it did not.  All he cared about was escaping the water that seemed to have a vendetta against him.  The water topped the edge of the pool, and Nick scrambled to the solid ground.  A door was open not far from him, so he ran to it, hoping to find some means of escape. 

As he walked through the door, it closed forcefully behind him.  Nick jumped at the sudden slam.  Looking around, he realized he was in a bathroom.  A couple stalls lined either side of the walls.  He sighed.  Nick didn't think he'd find an escape here, so he turned to leave. 

Before he could reach for the door knob, the lights flickered.  Nick turned back to the room to see the room much longer than it had been mere seconds ago.  The walls now stretched nearly as far as he could see, and the few stalls had become dozens, if not hundreds, of doors lining the walls.  The lights flickered one more time and then went out entirely.  Nick could feel the water slowly rising around his ankles from under the door.  He tried the door knob.  Locked. 

Nick began walking down the hall.  Maybe one of these doors will help me get out of here.  He tried the first door on the left, locked.  The right, locked.  Door after door was locked.  After a quarter of the doors were checked, Nick happened to look behind him.  Small red lights glowed in the darkness.  Each light had one right next to it.  Thinking about it, Nick noticed that they looked eerily like eyes.  A pair of lights started to move toward him, then another, and another.  They are eyes!  He shouted in his mind.  Nick broke into a run down the hall. 

A voice appeared in his head.  Nick, you must find the Excalibur of Light!  It is the only way to kill the demons and save yourself! 

Nick shouted in reply, "who are you? What is this Excalibright thing?  Why is this happening to me?"  He received no answer, so he kept running. 

With only a third of the hall left, Nick saw a small light shining at the end of the hall.  Finally!  A way out!  As he ran nearer, he could see the light was emanating from a sword on the wall.  This must be the Excalibur thing that the voice mentioned.  Every step Nick took was a struggle.  The water had risen to his knees and wasn't slowing.  He was almost close enough to grab the sword.  Gnarled, clawed hands grasped his shoulders and waist, pulling him back.  With all his might, he reached one more time.  His fingers closed around the hilt of the sword. 

Nick spun to face the demons and raised the sword above his head.  A bright flash From the sword blinded him for a second.  When his vision came back, the lights were back on.  The demons were lifting themselves from the water, having been knocked back by the wave of light. 

He knew the only way to get away from the demons was back through the door he entered from.  Nick hacked and slashed his way through each and every demon.  None stood a chance against his blade.  The Excalibur of Light shone with a brilliant white light, brightening with each kill.  The blood that flowed from the demons left no trace on the sword.  The blood only seemed to fuel its light.  Nick reached the door and ran the final demon through.  "Finally," he said aloud, "I can leave this place."  He opened the door.

All Nick could see was darkness.  He was laying down.  When his eyes adjusted to the dark, Nick could see he was in his bed.  "It was just a dream.  Wow, crazy dream..."  He sat up and looked around.  His eyes passed over two red lights in the corner.  Two more appeared.  Then more.  Small red lights appeared all over his bedroom.

© 2010 Trevor


Author's Note

Trevor
Nick's dream really ended when he woke up in the story. I just thought it'd be creepy if the rest happened as well.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Kgling! Things I was afraid of before reading this: Marshmallows and butterflies.
Now I am also afraid of small red lights.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

410 Views
2 Reviews
Added on October 20, 2010
Last Updated on October 21, 2010

Author

Trevor
Trevor

Aberdeen, SD



About
I closed my account 2 years ago. Haven't written a word since then. Guess I just figured it was about time to start again...so here's my "about me" 2 years from the last time I wrote this: 25 year.. more..

Writing
The Window The Window

A Story by Trevor


Sequel Sequel

A Poem by Trevor