I Wanna Be Santa Claus

I Wanna Be Santa Claus

A Screenplay by waubbafet
"

A little late but here's a Christmas story I've been working on for the past month

"

INT. LIVING ROOM OF A HUGE HOUSE/ FIREPLACE LIT/ CHRISTMAS TREE

JAXSON, around 5, partially jumps down the stairs with excitement. His parents wait for him by the giant Christmas tree with a ton of presents off to one side of the room. The whole room is decorated. Tinsel and lights wrap around the stairs, and streamers hang from the walls. The house looks out of a magazine.

His parents look so happy to see how excited he his. JAXSON runs to the tree and opens the first present he sees. It's a suit. JAXSON looks a little confused at first, but he smiles.

JAXSON

Thank you.

MOM

I'm glad you like it. It's your first suit. So one day you can be like me and mamma.

JAXSON

But I don't want to be like you and mamma.

MAMMA

Well that's fine. What do you want to be?

JAXSON

I wanna be Santa.

MOM

Well honey, that's a little unreasonable. Don't you think?

JAXSON

(upset)

But I wanna fly around with reindeer and make people happy!

JAXSON runs off.

MAMMA

(to JAXSON)

Honey wait

(to mom)

Trying to argue reason with a five-year-old?

MOM

He's going to have to learn eventually. Life doesn't work like that.

INT. LAW FIRM/ 25 YEARS LATER/ A FEW DAY TIL CHRISTMAS

JAXSON in a suit that look similar to the one he got. The room he's sitting in is very nice and new looking. He's speaking to a client in a board room. They're both dressed up and look very professional.

CLIENT

My company would like you to fight this case.

JAXSON

This is just a simple workers compensation case. Most companies just try not to make a big scene. As your lawyer I advise you to do the same.

CLIENT

If one person gets the money they'll all clamor for it. Like vultures. No, he has to be made an example of.

JAXSON

The police have investigated very thoroughly. They have a lot against you.

CLIENT

We pay you enough. Change that.

JAXSON looks shocked on for a second. Then he changes back to emotionless.

JAXSON

I have some connections. I'll see what I can do.

CLIENT

Then I believe we're done.

The CLIENT holds out his hand and JAXSON shakes it professionally. Then the CLIENT stands up and leaves. JAXSON signals for one of the people standing outside the room to come in. She looks like an INTERN.

INTERN

Yes?

JAXSON

Make some calls about the Man vs. Powell and Co. case. Let's see if we can't get the police on our side with a couple of Benjamen's. You understand?

The INTERN looks scared but nods her head anyway.

INTERN

Yes

JAXSON

Then go. Get it done.

The INTERN nods then leave.

 

INT. COURTROOM/ DAY/ SNOW ON THE GROUND

Everyones there. Prosecution and defense lawyers on either side of the room facing the judge. JAXSON is with the defense. The judge an older man faces them. The jury to the left and press in the back. The man siting next to the prosecution lawyer, named CODY, has a broken arm and leg wrapped in a cast almost had big as in a cartoon. He's also in a wheelchair. He's wheeled over to take a seat next to the judge on the witness stand. He lawyer walks up to CODY, he's looking a little nervous.

CODY'S LAWYER

(nervous)

So um... can you please tell the court what happened on the um...

He rushes back to his desk and quickly looks through the papers. He rushes back to the stand.

CODY'S LAWYER

(nervous)

September 9th

CODY

Um yeah. Get to my job working on that new build down the street from here really. Put on my hard hat and everything. So I get there and one of the crane. You know lifting the steel'n'stuff. Well, it started acting all out of control. And this crane ends up wackin me in the chest. The doctors said it's a complete miracle that I'm live right now.

CODY'S LAWYER

(nervous)

And I'm um glad too.

(to the judge)

So I'm done yeah

CODY'S LAWYER takes a seat.

JUDGE

Alright then.

(to Jaxson)

Would you like to cross examine?

JAXSON

Of course

JAXSON walks up to the stand.

JAXSON

First of all I would to apologies for you injures on behalf of who caused then. But I asher you, it was not my clients fault.

JAXSON looks at CODY'S LAWYER. He's too busy going over notes and looking panic to notice what he stand.

JAXSON

(under his breath)

Wow okay

(normal)

Are you a wear of how was operating the crane?

CODY

Yeah Tony. Sweet kid. He was kind of new. I was showing him the ropes myself a few days ago

JAXSON

So could it have been this Tony's lack of experience that caused these injuries?

CODY

Well that's what I thought too. But then the cops brought this guy, it can't remember his name, in the check everything out. Some of the cranes wires were held together by a bit of duck tape. The tape was pealing off and messed with some of the wires. He said that's what caused it.

JAXSON

Are you talking about officer Chaplin?

CODY

Oh yeah thats who. Cool lady.

JAXSON

Well sadly she couldn't make it here herself. But she did give us her statement if I may bring that before the judge.

JUDGE

Bring it.

One of the guys are JAXSONS desk brings a stack of papers and puts them on the JUDGES desk.

JAXSON

The top page is a basic summery.

JUDGE

Very well. I will read that before the court.

The JUDGE picks up the paper and begins to read it.

JUDGE

At first I had remarked that the wires were held together by tape. Although upon farther examination I noticed that the wire where indeed cut and then taped to together to give the appearance of faulty equipment.

JAXSON

So as you can see. It's not actually my clients fault. I believe I'm done your honor.

INT. COURTROOM/ TIME HAS PASSED

The judge bangs on his gavel.

JUDGE

The court will now take a fifteen-minute recess. Then we will hear the closing statements.

CODY looks pretty upset and stressed. Even the lawyer is sweating a little. They're obviously losing. JAXSON is about to leave the room when his MAMMA comes to talk him.

JAXSON

Hey mom. What are you doing here?

MAMMA

I was in the area. I thought I would say hi. So how you're doing.

JAXSON

Well I'm doing great actually. I think I got them on the run.

MAMMA's looks at CODY being upset. Then looks back at JAXSON.

MAMMA

Do you remember when you wanted to be Santa?

JAXSON

Mom I was like five back then.

MAMMA

You told me you wanted to be Santa until you were nineteen.

JAXSON

Is this really the right time to get nostalgic?

MAMMA

Do you remember why?

JAXSON

Yeah I wanted to help people. That's why I became a lawyer, the only reasonable thing to do.

MAMMA

You wanted to help people. Are you really doing that?

JAXSON

Don't you think I know. I made a grown man cry. But the money's good you know. What else can I do?

MAMMA

Here.

MOMMA reaches into her purse and pulls out a Santa hat.

MAMMA

Merry Christmas honey. I'll see you in a month.

JAXSON

Right. See you.

INT. COURTROOM/ CONT.

Everyone has re-entered the courtroom and taken their seats where they were. JAXSON is standing and addressing the jury.

JAXSON

With all the evidence taken into account, there is really no reason to say this man deserves any compensation from my client.

JAXSON looks around the room, at the judge and then the audience.

JAXSON

There is no possible way...

He sees his MAMMA then looks at the Santa hat she gave him. Then he turns back to the jury.

JAXSON

I'm sorry. I've wasted your time.

(to the judge)

The evidence compiled against this man is all lies.

The defense looks pissed, and the prosecution overjoyed.

JUDGE

Well. I can honestly say this has never happened to me before. I think it's best if you take your seat.

JAXSON

Of course.

JAXSON takes his seat.

DEFENSE

(to JAXSON)

You're fired.

JAXSON

I know

The jury whisper among themselves. Then one of them stand up.

JURY MEMBER

I believes with the existence give this man deserver his compensation at the very least.

JUDGE

I agree complete. Why waste any more of anyones time?

The JUDGE bangs his gavel.

JUDGE

This court is adjourned.

Everyone leave the court house except JAXSON, the JUDGE, and MAMMA. JAXSON just stays sitted. The JUDGE walks over to JAXSON.

JUDGE

It takes a lot of guts standing up for someone like that. I would applaud you personally, but you just gave me a lot of paperwork.

JAXSON

Yeah I understand.

JUDGE

Good luck finding any other job kid.

JAXSON

I think I'll need it.

JUDGE

I am going to have to ask you both to leave though.

JAXSON looks behind him. MAMMA stands by the door waiting for him.

JAXSON

Of course.

JAXSON leaves with MAMMA.

© 2015 waubbafet


My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

180 Views
Added on December 31, 2014
Last Updated on July 15, 2015
Tags: Christmas

Author

waubbafet
waubbafet

NC



About
Writer, muffin ... not much else really. Unless you count that hint of insanity. You know like basil in a boring tomato sauce. I'm obsessed with stories. more..

Writing
The Mythos The Mythos

A Story by waubbafet