Blackpool Tower Circus 1953

Blackpool Tower Circus 1953

A Story by waywithwords
"

A memory of my visit to the circus when I was nine years old.

"


When I was nine, I clearly remember an experience I will never forget. It was a visit to the tower circus. The year 1953, is a dramatic trigger to my childhood days because it was also our Queen's Coronation.
That day, my mum had laid out my Sunday best clothes, including my younger sister and three brothers. This was our first visit to the circus. This visit was made possible through a charity organisation that enabled parents on low income, the chance of a break from their children. It was also something different for the children to experience from their usual life style. This information I acquired at a later time.
My sister, brothers and me along with numerous other children were escorted through the streets to reach our destination. The three-mile walk from our home was quite a frustrating ordeal. When we had arrived at the circus, it was buzzing with excited children of all ages. The plush velvet red chairs were like sitting on a throne.
The huge circus arena and the smells of the animals were our first sightings and inhalations we had ever experienced. The circus began with beautiful provocative showgirls, dancing and twirling around the edge of the arena. They were dressed in glorious coloured sequined outfits and wore black shiny stiletto shoes, depicting legs up to their thighs.
The daredevil trapeze artists showed off their skills of double and treble somersaults whilst in mid-air. Obedient performing poodles that were trained to perform various tricks. Clowns were leaping off the trampoline and acrobatting the length and breadth of the awesome arena. Soon after, the animals had appeared, and the circus was filled with gasps of horror and cries of hilarity from the disbelieving audience. The glossy coated stallion horses were as large as life and the artistic performers stood upright on their bare backs, unsupported. It was an exotic sight.
One of the highlights for me, was the appearance of the famous clown Charlie Carrroli. He wore a white jewelled pierot costume with white tall triangular hat. His famous rosy red nose, resembling a bright red tomato. Charlie's face was painted white and his red lips stretched ear to ear when he grinned. The antics Charlie got up to were brilliant. Although his skill of squashing custard pies into any face close to him, was hysterical. Charlie ended his act with a brilliant performance of O my papa, on his dazzling brass clarinet.
Norman Barrat the famous ring master, was also an artist in his own right. As well as introducing the artists, he showed off his talents. His well trained budgerigar was exquisite in towing toy carts and miniature bicycles, whilst other budgies sat still in them.
The end of the show had sadly come to an end. As we stood up to make our exit. Suddenly the circus ring filled with 45,000 gallons of water, that took only eleven seconds to complete. It was an amazing piece of Victorian engineering. The illuminated water rose up from the arena with a terrific force and cascaded into a spectacular display, A mirage like splendour. I will treasure these memories forever.


© 2008 waywithwords


Author's Note

waywithwords
Hope you enjoy my experience of the circus. Any comments welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
Added on March 24, 2008

Author

waywithwords
waywithwords

United Kingdom



About
I am a mother, grandmother and a great grandmother and I am nearly sixty four years old. I should say young because at this time I still feel that way and feel lucky that my health and energy is still.. more..

Writing