Radio Stations

Radio Stations

A Story by Uriah Ocean

I got in the car and waved to my dad. He waved back. The car took off down the driveway, and onto the bumpy road, and that's when I first looked at my date. Ten minutes into this drive, the radio was singing us a song. We both must've liked the song, for at the same time we reached for the volume only to bump hands. My face reddened as I cringed, pulling back shyly. So, he turned it up. The song blasted in our ears, the name of it escaping me. We both sang to the music, not minding the others voice, and most of my shyness left me. I pointed to the side of the road, and with no verbal explanation needed, he pulled over and we got out. The abandoned and overgrown orchard we pulled into was very quiet, but we changed this by opening the car doors, and it echoed down the many rows of trees. I looked at the endless fields of waving grass before us and felt so comfortable, for a second the feeling took my breath away. He got out two sodas he conveniently had in the back of his car, and handed one to me. We sat on the bumper, drinking and enjoying the music reverberating in the old orchard. After awhile, I couldn't help myself, I got up and started to dance. I didn't care if it was embarrassing, and to my surprise he started to dance too. We sang loud, and jumped up and down the car's roof with the childlike carefreeness. Before we knew what was happening, several cars, not at all together, pulled off the road and joined us in the orchard. All about the same age as us, the people opened their car doors to find their radio blasting the same song as ours. Our combined speakers made the echo in the orchard even stronger and made the sad looking trees seem brighter and younger. We went around together, carrying the cooler from the back of his car, and handed out our sodas. We danced and danced with all of these people, only taking a break when the radio sang us a slower song. We laid back on the hood of the car, laughing at the weirdness of it all, and drank more soda. Soon the stars came out, and we resigned to laying on the car to stare up at the twinkling resplendence of the sky. After a few moments of silence looking at the stars, we suddenly looked at each other. He leaned over and kissed me. At first it was a surprise, but as my heart slowed, his hands were around my waist, and mine around his neck. The next song, fast paced and blaring broke us apart because we flinched as the car shook with the blaring radios echoing in the orchard. After that, we got in the car, and rode home in silence. My mind racing most of the ride, but calming down to rest on one thought. 
What a crazy first kiss.

© 2015 Uriah Ocean


Author's Note

Uriah Ocean
A short little story, taking up but a page in one of my many notebooks. Hopefully you enjoy it! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

107 Views
Added on February 17, 2015
Last Updated on May 15, 2015

Author

Uriah Ocean
Uriah Ocean

CA



About
I've been living in my imagination since I was born. As soon as I learned the truly amazing gift of writing, I couldn't stop. I still have stacks of notebooks filled with the short stories from my pre.. more..

Writing