The First Time I Swam

The First Time I Swam

A Story by Jay Ligda

Did I ever tell you about the first time I swam?  I had to swim because it was a part of a triathlon, SWIM, bike, run.  And, I had to do a triathlon so I had something to motivate me to keep in shape.  So I had to swim, right?  I didn't know where to go to swim or what to do to train so I kept putting off the swim training.  I focused on running and biking until one day I was standing at the edge of a lake in my brand new triathlon shorts just moments before the start gun went of for my very first triathlon.  There I stood with zero swim experience, not even as much as sticking the toenail of my big toe in the shallow end of a swimming pool to train for this.  "It's OK," I thought.  "It is only a 400 yard swim.  I can fake it."  I could see the course, two big orange buoys parallel to the edge of the lake creating a 400 yard square course.  "It's not too far."

 

The starting gun went off.  I waited for everyone else to get ahead of me before I dove in the water.  "Oh, yeah, this is easy," I thought.  Then I reached the 25 yard mark (or so I was estimating).  My arms started burning.  I can't believe how fast those arms were becoming fatigued.  I wasn't even close to the first buoy as I was still to the shore.  I experimented with swimming on my back for a while to break up the pace.  I only succeeded in turning myself around swimming in the wrong direction.  So back on my belly I went, using my arms in any manner they would be willing to cooperate to pull myself in a forward direction.

I reached the first buoy and said to myself, "I'm never doing this again."  I was serious.  "Triathlon is not for me."  That was a little disappointing because I was enjoying the triathlon club and the run and bike workouts with the club.  "I can still run and bike with them," I thought.  Though, it may be a little embarrassing to just run and bike with the club and not actually do anymore triathlons … if I even survive this one.

 

Survive it I did.  I eventually managed to pull myself through 400 yards of water back to the safety of my bike and I finished that triathlon.  It was not too long afterwards that I developed a case of amnesia, forgot about my resolution to never swim again, and signed up for another triathlon.  The club offered a master's swim course which I did not hesitate to sign up for.  I remember the first day of the swim course.  For the first exercise, the coach said, "Swim 100 yards."  I looked across the pool and had to ask, "How far is 100 yards?"

 

So I began training, 25 yards at a time, Until the 25 yards turned to 50 and 50 yards turned to 100.  Soon I was completing the 90 minute workouts with relative ease.  I liked the way the swim training made me feel.  I slowly began to enjoy it and even look forward to it.  However, it was not until I started training in open water that I fell in love with swimming.  There is something very meditative and soothing about putting my head down in the water and swimming for long distances uninterrupted by the edges of a pool, slowly watching the scenery pass as I turn my head to breath.  I now spend an uneven amount of my training hours swimming and neglect the other two disciplines, biking and running.

© 2008 Jay Ligda


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow, you never know how the professionals make the sports look so easy, until you try one. Yes, I understand, and hope you continue with your writing. We can become hypnotized into a sport, blinded as a race horse with blinders keeping him focused on the finish line. Not even paying attention to the screaming fans wanting him to win the race, making them a happy gambler. Still try and enjoy the other things or sports in life that brought you this far. Ya know! I was in a terrible accident many years ago, and because of swimming that saved my life.

Cheers,

C.M.Dunn

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 1, 2008

Author

Jay Ligda
Jay Ligda

San Francisco, CA



About
I mainly write as a way to clear my mind of unwanted thoughts. Most of it is too personal or rough to publish here, but here is some that I polished up to share. more..

Writing