The Weekend

The Weekend

A Story by Michael
"

Start of a longer story. Two kids small town at the end of the senior year.

"

Chapter Number The Weekend.

He pulled up and parked in front of his house. Daylight savings time had arrived he was getting home later and later as the after work crowd of golfers pushed to the edge of darkness to get that one last hole in to appease their appetite. Merlin referred to them as the “Midnight golfers.” This was nothing new to him in the two years he had worked there and every late spring through fall was this way. Wet and tired with no Friday plans, which was fine because he had to be back at work in the morning. Saturday morning was always his shift, even though it was a monkey wrench in social calendar, he loved it. The steady stream of tips made up for what was a chaotic morning. Aicha’s car was parked in the driveway he really needed to talk to her, but it would wait he was worn out. Senior year was winding down with senior prom soon. They were going for the second year in a row, He voted to wear the same attire as last year but that seemed like an unpopular opinion. But that wasn't what was nagging him.


“How was work?” Dad asked from his blue recliner. His Dad was one of the more famous midnight golfers and happened to be there til dark that very day.

“Be nice if people would get done during the day time”

‘Well what would be the fun of getting home early, got to keep you out of trouble on a Friday night”

“Leftovers in the fridge,” Mom interrupted, “Have you told Aicha your decision”

“No,” Merlin said irritated, “I was going to tonight but I am tired”.

“You better do it soon she’ll understand. If you keep waiting she’ll know something is up and it will be worse,” his mom’s voice trailing up at the end as to issue a warning

Merlin filled a plate of leftover baked ziti, heated it up in the microwave and sat down at the table. When the phone rang Merlin didn’t move, there was little doubt who was calling not many people would feel free to call at 9:30 at night.

“Hello” Mom answered the phone. “Merlin it’s Aicha”.

Merlin got up leaving the mostly warm ziti and retrieved the cordless phone in the kitchen then headed to the basement.

“I guess Aicha decided he wasn’t going to wait.” His dad said looking over the top of his newspaper toward his mom.

“ No she probably has figured out something was up.”

“Can't hide things from her.”

“OK I got it hang up now,” Merlin yelled from the basement and once he heard the click he said.

“Hello Aicha” he said with trepidation 

“Meet me by the tree”


Their big oak tree stood on the property line between Merlin's’ house and the neighbor to the left. The tree’s canopy when full,  blocked out most of the light from the closest street lamp giving some cover at night for clandestine meetings when they were younger and shade during the day to sit and talk. Their parents had long stopped worrying about night time visits but it was still their favorite place. She was free to just walk through the basement door if she wanted but the tree was the tree and it did give them some space from nosy eavesdropping parents. The air was getting a little chilly with the wind as he topped the driveway. He saw Aicha already in her front yard directly across the street wearing a black zip up hoodie, jeans and sandals. Merlin arrived at the tree first and touched it as if it was base in a game of tag. Aicha’s small frame was thundering through the un-recently mowed grass. “OK Merlin” Aicha said when she got close enough to not yell in the sleepy night of the neighborhood. “You got in didn’t you”

“Yes I did,” Merlin said without joy. College acceptance time came with Merlin’s first choice being a school 4 hours away from Aicha’s future destination.

“That is what you wanted,” Aicha eyes beaming joy for her friend “Why are you unhappy then?” 

Aicha knew why. They had never been apart for very long this was a big deal. Now she could see Merlin’s confidence in his decision was fading. 

“This isn’t summer camp this is college this is gonna change our lives.”

“Merlin with your dramatics, I am glad you will miss me and I will miss you but I promise we will be OK.”

“OK” Merlin said then paused for a beat, “I feel better now”. Aicha could see this was not the case with her old friend.

“Are you playing after your shift tomorrow?”

“Maybe.”

“Well, if you can pull yourself off the golf course at a decent time we can celebrate.”

“OK that sound good. Can I go back in and eat my dinner it is baked ziti and I am hungry”, Merlin said with a smile baked ziti was his favorite.

“Yes, but stop trying to hold back from me you can’t do it and hey Merlin,” She said putting her hands on his shoulders, “It will work out we have all summer to figure it out”.

‘They departed and Aicha went back to her second story room and plopped on her bed surrounded by life, magazines, Cd's and notebooks. She was happy for Merlin but she did share his worries. They had been close for so long and she didn’t really know what it would be like having him far away. Their friendship had survived the worst of middle school, puberty and the end of junior year had been a black hole. They both dated other people and only by happenstance had no dates for last year’s prom “A Night Under Water” and this years “The Stars are in Your Eyes” dance. She had to play the reassuring friend but was caught off guard by his anxiety. She had really thought what he would miss the most was the golf course. That left her something to think about they did have the prom in three weeks and all summer.


After working, then a round of golf Merlin decided to leave the fray, to head home so he would keep his word and celebrate with Aicha. He was glad she was happy, thinking back happy isn’t the word reassuring would be the correct word. The twisty hilly highway out and back to the golf course would breeze by as he had driven it so many times he would routinely get to the edge of the tiny downtown without recalling really how he got there. As he crept through town he had a thought. It might be a nice night to get the key for the maintenance trail to the lake. He never wanted to take his car fearing it would get caught up but Aicha’s Bronco was perfect. The dining room there served wine he had had a glass or two in the back with the wait staff.


“I think I could get a bottle if Shelly was working” Merlin thought. “Yea Shelly would do it. All she has to do is leave it in the locker room when they made final rounds”  

Merlin had the key to that room so he could get the golf carts all lined up some mornings when a big tournament was scheduled early. He would then need to get the key from Greg ,his boss, down to the lake. Gregg would need a full explanation about his need for the key. If he told him he wanted to take Aicha fishing Gregg should have a sympathetic ear. All he would need to remember would be a sleeping bag and cups. When he pulled in his driveway he glanced to see her SUV was there at her house. His heart was racing with his plan.


The weather was nice and Aicha had her window open that looked out toward the street then to Merlin’s house. She heard the familiar sound of his car and looked out to see him pulling in. She was surprised that he actually left the course early on Saturday he was usually there sunup to sundown. This pleased her more for some reason. Golf was his favorite thing and did he give it up for her? She felt the urge to yell for him out of the window but didn’t. A few minutes later her phone rang.

“Hello” Aicha answered.

“Hey, I am home”

“I see that”

“Have a plan for tonight if you still want to hang”

Really? Aicha was again surprised by her friend when did he come up with a plan? If she hadn't decided what to do he would just wanna sit on the steps to talk, play basketball in her driveway or watch a movie but not actually pick the movie out. 

“There’s this maintenance path to the lake at work I can get the key to the gate we could take your car and hangout” 


Merlin omitted the detail of the wine leaving that as a surprise. Neither of them was much of a drinker, just a party here or there, but they did get caught drinking from his parents wine stock a few years ago. His dad would still randomly refer to them as the winos. 

“Really and do what?” Aicha puzzled by the plan she had heard of this path before sometimes the workers would carp fish down there. Merlin not really thinking far enough in advance to come up with a cover story

“We can fish and picnic,” Merlin finally said.

Aicha sat there on her bed listening to Merlin. He seems so happy, he didn’t get this way often. The Idea of fishing later tonight didn’t move her but he really did seem super excited she relented “Sure” she answered then said “Hey I just got my dress back from the tailors do you want to see it”

Merlin trying to judge how bad he smelt then replied,” Yea let me shower and I’ll be over I smell like that the golf course”

“When do you smell any different?”


When he jumped in the shower he was still excited with his plan.  They had shared a lot of little droplets of each other's lives over the past almost 10 years. He would tell her about his golf rounds and she would give exact details of the clothes she bought and her new make up. He knew a lot about her make up at this point. 


Merlin walked out his door hair still a little wet beneath his hat and crossed the street to Aicha’s front door to hear Aicha say from her opened window.

“The door is unlocked nobody is here just deadbolt it when you close it”

Aicha’s house was a good bit bigger than his with high ceilings and a lot of wood trim and varies wallpaper depicting southerness somehow. The windows on the main floor where open allowing the smells from the trees, flowers and plants that Aicha’s mom tended to relentlessly fill the vacant air. Merlin climbed the hardwood stairs the same steps he skidded down when he was 10. The fall left him with a tiny scar on his forehead but the real damage had been a lifetime of grief from Aicha’s family. His back and left ankle started to stiffen remembering his 10th grade anatomy teachers warning to him that “the human body was not meant to play golf”. He topped the steps and entered Aicha’s room just to the right. She was standing in her adjoining bathroom roughly trying to fix her hair.

“Oh wow” Merlin said as he sat on the corner of her bed looking at her looking at herself in the mirror “I didn’t like..um...think you were trying it on”

“I have to make sure the adjustments were proper” she said turning her attention back to attempting to control her blond curly mop.

“Going to have to figure out what to do with this I have never let my hair grow out this much. What do you think? How do I look?”

“You always look nice when you try” Aicha turn back to Merlin and he knew immediately his mistake.

“Look nice? When I try?” Aicha said with cutting sarcasm in her voice.

Aicha was a tomboy growing up hanging out in construction sites of homes being built after the workers had left. Merlin and the other boys would be covered with the prevailing red mud and she was no different. Her dad would always say his daughter had dirty blond hair cause her golden locks made it easy to spot the red mud. While the mud pit days were in the past she didn’t put a lot of effort into girly things save for makeup. Yes she definitely developed a fondness for makeup.

They locked eyes for a heart beat. Merlin looking at Aicha again drinking in her blue shiny dress she did look great and beautiful he thought.

“Well yes you look fantastic but we have done this before” He said trailing off. Aicha shook her head as he dug his hole deeper.

“Last year was last year this is senior prom this is different. If you are tired of taking me you could take somebody else” She said with a slight mock towards him. She wasn’t really upset but like to remind Merlin to have feelings and to point out to him she was in fact not a boy.

“Learn to give a compliment once in a while some girl somewhere might appreciate it” 

“Yea, yea I get it I am sorry you look sooo much better in this dress then last years dress” He called back from the opposite corner of the room where her book shelf sat with a cd player and all of her CD’s. 

“Your music tastes sucks now,” as if it was a personal affront to his sensibilities,  looking for a particular CD. The room was quiet but the birds were singing from the maple tree  just outside of the big window. Once he found what he was looking for he popped it into place. Merlin remembered the Christmas she got the stereo. She was the first of his friends who had gotten one, they spent many many hours sitting up in her room playing music. He pressed next til he got to her favorite track 5. It was a bouncy song with an upbeat groove and low bass. He realized now she had left the bathroom.

“Hey where did you go”

“I am in my sisters room”

“Come back in here”

Aicha came back through the bathroom that connected the two rooms.

“May I have this dance”

“What is this nonsense” She said with a suspiciously.

“If this dance is a new dance maybe I need some new dance moves”

She took his hand to humor him they had danced together at the previous prom and at a cousin’s wedding. Aicha knew Merlin to be a good dancer always saying his mom taught him to dance in the kitchen when he was a kid. They shimmied and shook to the beat, goofing around moving in time laughing and smiling. The song ended and Merlin stopped. Aicha said “No, no this isn’t how it works one more dance”. Track 6 began to play it was a much slower and intimate song perfect for a slow dance. He pulled her close with his hands on her waist Aicha draped her arms around his neck the space between the foot of her bed and dresser allowed for no escape. She listened to Merlin sing softly out of tune but in rhythm.


Merlin swaying, singing and humming with his eyes closed and Aicha’s head on his shoulder. Suddenly he felt a warm sting on his lips. His eyes ripped open.


A fraction of a second before. Aicha lifted her head, perched up on her tippy tip toes to shrink the height difference then in an unexplainable moment she kissed Merlin on his lips. It wasn’t a long kiss best described as a pop kiss but it was done. She was looking back up at his eyes wide open his mouth slightly agape. 

“Was that really me did I do that?”, she thought. She wanted to confuse herself into believing it was him. 

Merlin look down rocked all he could see was her eyes. He heard her say.

“Oh Merlin I didn’t, I didn’t I’m sorry”

It was too late the wave crested he was being swept out to sea something in his core was on fire he leaned down and kissed her holding his lips to hers until the air ran short. It was his turn to speak.

“Aicha I don’t know”

But it didn’t matter Aicha had his hand and they fell back on the bed kissing without constraint. Their collective reasoning floated out the window entangling in the branches of a tree with no way to return. 

Merlin regained thought when the last song clicked off. It had been, he guessed, 12 songs. He noticed Aicha’s dress was folded neatly at the foot of the bed. How did that happen and where was my new hat? Merlin thought.

Aicha laid there listening to Merlin's breath re-regulate. Despite the size difference Merlin felt like he was tucked into her. Their skin sticking to each other like her pleather pants in the heat. This wasn’t either's first but Merlin looked shook she thought. She didn’t have a grasp of the situation either but a freaked out Merlin would make this worse. She didn’t know anything but had a fierce feeling a key had found a lock and everything was different but how different She could not know yet.


Aicha didn’t want to ask this question it was such a stupid question but somebody had to say something soon.

“What are you thinking about?”

“Not getting caught”

This wasn't exactly what she wanted to hear but at least his brain was working now.

“Oh gee that’s not what I was looking for”. Desperately trying to find a tone to help return this scene back to normal. She was looking for some assurance or validation that this is OK and Merlin just won’t give that up. Her temper was starting to heat up. There they were snuggled up but she felt so vulnerable. Her mind on double speed, she couldn’t brush away her insecurities. How badly she wanted to scream at him “help me out here you idiot”. 

”Well” Merlin’s voice more lucid than before “If we get caught we can’t go to the lake tonight, prom will be a hassle and all summer long your parents will have us under a microscope”

Aicha settled down a little listening to him talk he was thinking further down the timeline than she was. Merlin propped himself on his elbow and said.

“I do want every minute with you. I am worried, other people can only screw that up.”

“Are you saying we should keep it a secret?”

“I don’t know...Yeah, that’s what I mean I think. At least for now is that OK?”, Merlin asked now getting close to a panic about still being naked in her bed. He just needed to get this over with but at the same time he knew he had to be cautious with Aicha’s state of mind.

Aicha was trying to figure out her own thoughts. The situation they found themselves in had no road map. He sounded like he wanted to be with her but what did that mean right now. She resigned to let Merlin lead at least till she needed to relieve him of those duties

“OK I think we should keep it quiet no friends, no family members just us.”

“Pick me up by my car at 8:00” Then Merlin leaned over and kissed her bye.


Merlin felt kind of good about keeping it between themselves. He figured it would give them time to sort this out. His gut said there would be a lot of figuring out to do but that could wait. He got back to his room with his clothes on correctly and realized his hat was missing.

 “Where was it?” he said out loud to himself. 

She felt great next to him, in his arms. Merlin’s mind was just now finding the clips that would now be permanently stored in his memory. The scenes made him warm and light headed again. He felt a desire to call her or heck, just his open his window and shout her name but he didn’t know what he would say. So he decided to let his emotions settle for a bit, besides he would see her in a few hours anyway. He was lying on his bed in a daze when the garage door started up the parents were home now. He really hoped they didn’t need anything preferring to be as still as he could on his bed and soak up the memories. He put on his headphones and hoped nothing would change.


Aicha felt her lips, Merlin’s kiss goodbye was sudden and unexpected. Somehow it felt more intimate. The dance then falling back on the bed was like tumbling down a flight of steps. His kiss was intentional and perfect.  She started straightening up her room to return it to order. She picked up her new dress from the corner of her bed, carried it to her closet, found the hanger draped in plastic and carefully hung it up. Satisfied her precious item was safe again she bent over to pick up her jeans she was wearing before. Poking out from underneath her floral bed skirt was the blue brim of a baseball hat. She was familiar with the item Merlin had worn the same team’s hat since she had known him for all she knew he was born with it on. Taking the hat in her hand she felt the fuzzy material and traced over the stitched “C” with her finger. This hat was different it was still dark and unfaded and the bill was straight. 

“This is a brand new hat”, She thought to herself, “He must of picked it up at the mall last Sunday with his friends”. 


She had turned down the invitation telling him she had family duty but really she just disliked his group of friends.They weren’t the old neighborhood crew they grew up with as most of those friends withered away as high school went. Merlin’s newer friends turned into a band of moronic boys staring at any attractive girl nearby. While he wasn’t the biggest offender he did become coarser, louder and more pompous. He probably was beside himself leaving a brand new hat over here. 


Aicha hung the hat from a bed post, looked and smiled even she could see the implied meaning. The hat looked like a flag on a conquered territory.  Quickly she removed it and in turn placed it on the top shelf of her closet. If he wanted it back he would have to come and get it. Her parents and little sister returned home pounding away on the hardwood floors and slamming doors crashing Aicha out of her dream world. She turned on the shower,  locked the door trying to fight off the real world for a little longer.

“Merlin,” His mom yelled up the stairs breaking the silence of his room. Merlin got up from his bed and went to the top of the steps. House rules always dictate that a parent can shout up the stairs to a child but a child better not yell back from their room.

“Yes.”

“Are you home for dinner?”

“What are we having?” He asked.

“Chicken and Mac & Cheese.”

“What kind of Mac & Cheese.”

“Merlin, Yes or No,” She said with medium annoyance in her voice. 

Merlin didn’t feel like sitting down under his parent’s gaze but hunger won out.

“Yes make me some.”

“Dinner will be at seven o'clock.”


Merlin laid  back down suddenly exhausted on his bed. Closing his eyes he knew he needed a nap, drifting off his mind wondered, “Do I need to take a shower? I have already taken two today.” 


“How did you play,” His dad asked as he sat down at the dinner table Merlin’s hair still damp beneath his old baseball cap. His mom still in the kitchen finishing up the mac and cheese.

“Fine” Merlin replied back to his dad sitting at the head of the table and Merlin sitting on the opposite end. The family had always sat around the table in the same order but now the two seats to his left were empty as his sisters had left for college two and three years ago respectively.

“Must have been bad if you are home for dinner on a Saturday night.”

“Naw made plans with Aicha tonight.”

“What did Aicha say about college,” Mom interrupted.

“She’s fine,” Merlin said with a mouth full of mac, “We are going to hang out tonight to celebrate.”

“Don’t talk with your mouth full,” both parents said.

“Sorry”.

“That’s nice what are you two doing?”

“The normal, throw things off a bridge, tip over some cows”

His dad chuckled while his mom looked at him annoyed it was a quote from a movie she despised.

“You know the rules,” Mom added “No sex, no drugs, no alcohol.”

Merlin’s head started spinning and knocked over his drink.

“Merlin are you OK?”


Aicha picked up Merlin standing by his car in front of his house. He popped the trunk of his car pulled out a duffel bag, a sleeping bag then hopped up in the passenger seat. “Hi,” Merlin said suddenly not having enough nerve for the plan that he mapped out mentally . She looked wonderful in a pair of ripped jeans and black tank top. He wanted to kiss her but was that OK? Did she want him to? What are the rules?

“Where to?”

“The club house.”

Merlin was happy the car was moving now it seemed to give the trip some lubrication for his thoughts. He leaned up and changed the radio station to the local hip hop station. The front cab of her SUV was so big he was far enough away he couldn’t screw up anything. The sun was just below the tip of the trees and shadows were creeping over the roads.

“Merlin are you still worrying,” Aicha said while turning the radio back to a country music station. 

“No” but the lie was unmistakable.

“Well that’s good but I am confused about something.”

“Yeah, what is that?”

“You said you wanted to go fishing but you didn’t bring any fishing poles?”

“Well.. yea.. Um I didn’t really want to go fishing.”

Aicha took this in for a moment. Merlin was being evasive again.  She had wanted to quiz him harder about his plans earlier but things escalated so quickly she had forgotten. They were out of the neighborhood and almost downtown when she asked.

“If you didn’t want to go fishing what did you want to do?”

The question hung in the air for a moment then Merlin said with his sly smile, “Oh I have a surprise for you”

“Do you want to come clean now?”

“OK, OK” Merlin sheepishly said, “I had Shelly put a bottle of wine in my locker. I thought we could hang out drink some and sit on the bank”

This revelation left Aicha stunned so much so she jammed her breaks well before the first stoplight. Aicha looked over at him a bit tongue tied then 2 moments later.

“So Merlin” With a teasing tone in her voice. “You were taking me to the lake at night, with a bottle of wine and an old sleeping bag...what were you planning on doing with me?”

What were his motives? They weren’t exactly clear to himself, all he really could remember was feeling warm and happy with the thoughts of her that whole day. Trying now to put into words those feelings was difficult but he was certain something about the talk, by their tree, had broken something lose.


Merlin finally now finding his voice, “Uh well I guess the same thing we did this afternoon”


 Hills, trees and cow pastures floated by as she took in the rural scenery. Merlin had planned to make his move at the lake tonight that was clear. She now had a little regret, though she had no idea what he was up to, she wished she had let him. Now her own behavior became clearer, her actions seemed reckless in the moment, but now thinking she was just reacting to a chemical change in Merlin. Carefully driving through the curves she reached and took his hand and said, “You realize this was your doing” with a smile as wide as possible.

“No it wasn’t you kissed me”

© 2019 Michael


Author's Note

Michael
I have written anything other than busniess emails in 13 years. Does this flow OK? It is readable? Are the characters something you would like to read more about? I really like writing dialogue. Does the dialogue sound right?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

22 Views
Added on July 12, 2019
Last Updated on July 12, 2019
Tags: southern, small town

Author

Michael
Michael

Charlotte, NC



About
I very bored Accountant/IT Professional I like to write but very bad at it. I once said that if it wasn't for numbers I would have never been able to graduate. Avid reader, love dumb detective novels.. more..