There Will be Blood (1997)

There Will be Blood (1997)

A Story by Doug Ordunio
"

another stunning performance by Daniel Day-Lewis

"

Director: Paul Thomas Anderson

 

The movie opens in New Mexico at the turn of the 20th Century. A self-made man, Henry Plainview (Daniel Day-Lewis) is trying to mine silver by himself. He hires a crew to help him, including a man who has an infant son. Eventually he strikes oil. The man with the child dies, and Plainview adopts the boy, whom he christens H.W. (Dillon Freasier). Nine years later he goes to Southern California. A young man named Paul comes to him with the offer of selling information about a plot of land that has an ocean of oil under it, in Little Boston, California. Plainview investigates and begins to negotiate with Paul’s father.

 

Eli (Paul Dano), a preacher, the twin brother of Paul, who has remained with his family, is a self-proclaimed faith healer. Plainview offers him $10,000 for his father’s land.  He gives him half up-front. Oil is discovered as was expected.  Shortly thereafter, H.W. is injured in an explosion at the oil rig, and becomes deaf.  Eli feels too much time has passed for the other monies. He tries to force Plainview to make good on the oil man’s original offer.  Plainview dismisses Eli as a faith healer because Eli was not able to heal H.W. at the oilman’s request. He will not give him the $5,000 for Eli’s church.

 

Gradually, the character of Plainview changes. At the beginning, we see him as a purposeful hard-working man. But, for all of his apparent nicety we witness that he is full of greed and mistrust even of those who make attempts to be close to him. He is more than willing to betray anyone who seems to stand in his way, or those he perceives as an encumbrance. At times, he seems to act like a madman. He wants to see any competition fail, and he ridicules those he sees as failures. The movie is intense and rugged.

 

The music by Jonny Greenwood goes against type, and most of it, rather than being of the period, is Bartokian and Neo-classical, although the final movement of the Brahms Violin Concerto is used at one point.

© 2011 Doug Ordunio


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

710 Views
Added on October 18, 2011
Last Updated on October 18, 2011

Author

Doug Ordunio
Doug Ordunio

Tujunga, CA



About
I have been writing for a little while-- Please read and you might be entertained. Please don't send me tons of read requests. If you must send one, make sure it's your best stuff. From me, you will.. more..

Writing