Love in the Time of Cholera (2007)

Love in the Time of Cholera (2007)

A Story by Doug Ordunio
"

an assessment of the film of Marquez's novel

"

Director: Mike Newell

 

If you read the novel by Nobel prize-winning author Gabriel García Márquez, you know partially what to expect of this film about the intensity of young love in a country ravaged by war and cholera in the late 19th century.

Especially, it concerns how love does not die with age.  Many critics panned the film, and it did not come close to recouping its budget. I had not read the book, so I had nothing upon which to judge. It is quite a touching story, and the actors are above reproach, including Javier Bardem, Giovanna Mezzogiorno and Benjamin Bratt. Amazingly, Márquez thought the effort was VERY successful.

 

The story takes place in Cartagena, Colombia, in which much of the film is shot. Florentino Ariza (Bardem) when the character is adult) falls in love at first sight with Fermina Daza (Mezzogiorno). He courts her from afar at first, by exchanging love letters. Eventually, when her father gets wind of the romance, he send her away to a distant city. At first Florentino wants to remain faithful to his youthful dream, and although he strays away from her with hundreds of lovers, he never loses sight of her (even when she marries Dr. Urbino {Bratt} and has his child.

 

The music by Antonio Pinto is very effective. The song sung by Shakira was nominated as Best Song by the Golden Globe Awards. If you haven’t read the book, watch the movie first! You may enjoy it…and if you appreciate passion, see it!

© 2011 Doug Ordunio


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

568 Views
Added on October 18, 2011
Last Updated on October 18, 2011
Tags: romance, love, sex passion

Author

Doug Ordunio
Doug Ordunio

Tujunga, CA



About
I have been writing for a little while-- Please read and you might be entertained. Please don't send me tons of read requests. If you must send one, make sure it's your best stuff. From me, you will.. more..

Writing