Vanilla Sky (2001)

Vanilla Sky (2001)

A Story by Doug Ordunio
"

one of the most intriguing films of the New Millenium, but...it's a remake

"

Director: Cameron Crowe

 

This film is an American remake of Abre los ojos (Open Your Eyes), a film of Alejandro Amenábar.   It is a film that examines love and its consequences in an unusual way, and not in the same way as in the original.

 

Handsome David Aames (Tom Cruise) is the heir of a publishing empire developed by his father. The board of the company, referred to by him as “The Seven Dwarfs,” look upon him as an overgrown child. David is in his early 30s and treats life very lightly. At a birthday party he meets Sonja Serrano (Penélope Cruz {who is reprising the role she portrayed in Abre los ojos}).  Although he is shown waking up with Julie Giuliani (Cameron Diaz) and they are seemingly involved, he has not invited her to his birthday party. She shows up anyway and sees his attraction to Sonja, even though she is the guest of his writer-friend, Brian Shelby (Jason Lee).  He spends the night with Sonja, and although they do not sleep together, he feels perhaps he has met the woman of his dreams.  When he leaves her apartment, before he can get in his car, Julie has been lying in wait for him and she entices him into her car.  Then, she accuses him of being unfaithful and that he doesn’t understand what is the true gravity of a physical relationship.  She drives off a bridge with him in the car and there is a horrific accident. 

 

David is disfigured and now wears a prosthetic mask to hide behind.  He is in prison and talking to a psychiatrist, Dr. McCabe (Kurt Russell).

 

That is the state of things after the first half hour. The remainder of the film covers how David deals with his new life where he is reduced to being just another guy, whereas before he was an attractive “man about town.”

 

The musical score was written by Crowe’s then-wife Nancy Wilson (of the band “Heart”). Cinematographer was John Toll.

 

© 2011 Doug Ordunio


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

6680 Views
Added on October 22, 2011
Last Updated on October 22, 2011

Author

Doug Ordunio
Doug Ordunio

Tujunga, CA



About
I have been writing for a little while-- Please read and you might be entertained. Please don't send me tons of read requests. If you must send one, make sure it's your best stuff. From me, you will.. more..

Writing