Scarlet Purgatory

Scarlet Purgatory

A Story by Steve Gallagher
"

Richard Harrison tries to find himself among the wastes of the coastal town of Dovington Bay.

"
 A faint breeze could be found in the distant borderlands of the old decrepit park as the hesitating swings began to accelerate with the on-going cycle of wind. The trees rustled themselves creating a wave of almost melodic natural sounds as a faint car skidded in the distant streets of the neutral suburbia. The heavily nature dense area now began to welcome the protruding cousin of society as the neighboring town of Dovington Bay flooded the forests and coasts with every sign of humanity. Clearings and meadows now became "nature trails" (as they were very far from what the name implied) and the sound of the mellow ocean was now drowned out with the local Public transportation that ran along the many sprawling highways around the modern day Utopia.

 The transportation network now owned over 43 buses that ran around the compact area of Dovington Bay as the many inhabitants lacked cars due to the current economy and gas crisis. This almost forced the delicate and interesting characters to make themselves the best of friends. You could ride the bleak transit system across town for just the day and take witness to the conversing between elderly men and tattoo ridden street urchins, or the middle aged man with the shaved head that tried to ignore the stares of darker woman carrying her shopping bags across the isle. All prospered and carried on on this fine day besides that of Richard Harrison. His swift dark hair covered his pale, gaunt face as he slowly increased the volume on the cassette player his Uncle Thomas gave to him last year for his birthday.

 If one where to describe Richard, they might use words such as lanky, or, skeletal. Some may even be bold enough to go with all-out anorexic. With a metabolism like Richards, no one could really blame him for not packing on the popular weight that could be seen all over the country now, not the he cared of course. Richard was always in it for the adrenaline. A passing glance of his peers or even those that now eyed him up and down on the bus couldn't stagger him in the slightest. He would just greet them with a polite "Hello" and be on his way as always. Richard was a rough six foot three which definitely didn't help him out to well in the lanky category. His size fourteen loafers almost slipped off his feet under the semi-baggy khakis he could be seen wearing day in and day out. To complete the look he kept his favorite band tee at the ready loosely fitting around his scrawny shoulder blades. But none of this gave Richard his distinct look, the look that could only be found on Richard were that of his care-free gaze. Many would describe a gaze as piercing or even friendly or desiring. But there was almost a monotone look in his eyes that hid away his true identity.

 Richard was a man of the arts. He loved to write poetry and use his talon-like hands to softly strum at his well taken care of Fender Telecaster electric guitar. Not a single thing in the world would please Rich more then the own music he could create in the solitude of his own home. Of course when his friends weren't over of course, as Richard was known to hold the company of the other monotone gazers that lived in the area.

 The bus halted at the cross walk were clumsily Richard stumbled from the final step. His heart raced as he knew that the time had soon come to begin once again. It had merely been half a year since the first time Richard experienced the bliss that came with what he was about to buy. Countless twenty dollars bills supplied by his clueless parents went into the pockets of the shadowy dealers that lurked the broken houses of Dovington's subordinated districts.
But Rich didn't quiver in fear as many of the others of his stature may have if they entered the abyss of these streets. No. Richards was looked upon as a tool, a pawn, just another quick buck into the grasp of the hundred of others that worked the system long enough to get their new T.V or the nice ring for their girlfriend that their job as the local pizza delivery man just wouldn't cover. The bottles clinked together in his hand as Richards dilated pupils began to reaffirm the careless gaze into that of a crazed animal that just hunted its first prey. After throwing the money at his supplier he hurried back to catch the 5:50 bus back to the East Docks to share the spoils of war with his fellow gazers.

 Richard Harrison trotted along the cracked sidewalk up to his middle-class two story house with his pocket of happiness firmly clenched to his side. He found himself to the doorway after passing the dim light that evolved the entire atmosphere of the quaint little bay town. "Heyyyyy mann!" was the sound of almost a choir of voices from the gazers that came from the basements door frame as Richard's small head emerged from the darkness into the poorly lit foundation of the house. Without a single word spoken he ripped the bottles and a pack of small paper strips from the confines of his stained khaki pockets. The gazers now glowed with anticipation as they felt the warm inviting rush of reality seep into their destroyed brains. They were taking more hits of the glorious chemical tonight, and that's all that mattered. The lights brightened as they crowded around the cluttered table as Richard distributed the dotted strips to the patrons of his own home. One by one they fell into the trance they've desired ever so much in which they've enabled the clueless loved ones of their home to get. And as they fell into their own little worlds, one by one they dropped like flies to the floor in psychedelic rage to the Hymns of Richards screeching guitar amplifier. This was the life they chose, and this is the life that they deserved to own.

  Clinging onto the final sliver of reality that Richard could grasp, he scrambled upwards to find himself in the public nature trails of Dovington Bay. He recalled everything from last night. The lights, the sounds, the experience left him dumb-founded as he gazed freely into the thickets of trees that now became more focused. Remnants of his fellow gazers could be found on his person and surrounding him in the meadow as he cracked his back and sprang up to his feet in the refreshing cool air. Not long did it take for him to notice the small girl that stood beside him tugging at his now loose sweater sleeve. Gazing upward towards him in a menacing smile while grasping tighter and tighter onto the delicate sleeve. With a smirk on his face Richard bleakly gazed back into the eyes of the girl with a sigh he let out a mesmerizing "Hello" as he didn't want to be rude to his old friend. Taking a step forward while continuing to yank on his sleeve, the small girl led Richard into the sprawling city that awaited outside the forests of Dovington Bay.

 Hand in hand the girl along with Richard made their way to the nearest bus stop where other passengers began to enter the bus. After paying his fare to the driver Richard took a seat in silence as he brushed his dark hair from in front of his face. Sitting next to him, his favorite companion stared into his emotionless face as the clanking wheels effortlessly began to roll forward. It has been nearly half a year since this small creature first appeared to Richard, and he had the strange feeling their friendship was not about to come to an end anytime soon. Richard knew where they were taking the bus to, and a warm, welcoming feeling of lost reality began to move its way back into his head.




 

 


© 2013 Steve Gallagher


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is good, very descriptive. It's almost haunting.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I love this.. It's so different and dark.. This is a wonderful piece.. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Steve Gallagher

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much!
A.C

10 Years Ago

You're welcome!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

203 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 29, 2013
Last Updated on May 30, 2013
Tags: fiction, cycle, judgement, scarlet, psychological

Author

Steve Gallagher
Steve Gallagher

Gibbstown, NJ



About
I'm Steve from Southern New Jersey. I find writing to be both an outlet as well as a stress reliever for me. Whether it be poetry, short story, or even a novel I find it relaxing and enjoyable to put .. more..

Writing