Gold Rush

Gold Rush

A Story by wisefather
"

Short Story,. On the hunt for gold everything is abandoned including common sense.

"

The Honk hills overlook the grass lakes in the lowlands provide a refuge from the potential of a flood from the thawing ice-covered river. A five kilometer between of difficult trekking of slush and mud. Setting up camp here might not have been the best idea if it was not for a lead I received from a medicine man. I am going to have to move it right away.

“Go West along the river until a wave of birds leave a gliding perch and what you are looking for will be at the first hill you see. A word of warning, this journey is meant for two, the price for the use of medicine must always be paid”.

The journey here took me half a months walk as I was always looking for some sign. The river was getting too difficult to walk on as the snow started sinking further down as it started feeling warmer each day. Doubt started over-taking my mind until I started hearing honking sounds behind a hill and as I waited to see what it was a black cloud overtook the horizon until shapes formed as it got closer.

Geese.

I stood in amazement for about ten minutes as waves of birds flew over my head and a bombardment of noise it brings throwing a jolt of wonder down my back. The final wave in view started breaking formation and flying lower towards my position until I double-backed towards the hill. Honking as slow down circling in a pattern as small figures dive from the birds down towards the hill. I stood there wondering what it could be until it hit me.

A quick strike downwards cleaving a block of wood in two into a pile. Slamming the ax into the chopping block to sort the wood into a pile. I grab a few sticks to start a fire before the streaks of red piercing these northern trees disappear. With time to spare I grab a block and watch the sunset the first time since I started this journey.

Now with nothing but the fire to light the area the relaxing feeling from finally arriving fades away as I start making fists and legs start fiddling. My eyes trying to escape the allure of the fire slowly keep trying to look up until finally I started looking to where the hill should be. The darkness is nothing to a capable adventurer. I can light the way. My eyes veered back to the fire. Temper, temper.

Morning. Ready to go. A quick look is all I need. I walked over to the river, seems I got off it just in time, seems as I was sleeping the Ice moved down river, as long as the ice keeps moving I should be fine.

The sight of the glimmer of gold appears and fades just a quickly. I gear up and start walking before a thought of caution could cross my mind. I head into the lakes. Without my gear this would be a cakewalk. The first lake wasn't too bad a relatively easy walk as I only had to cut a path through the willows on the other end. The forest quite sparse nothing to worry about except having to walk around a few fallen trees.

Finally.

At the foot of the hill. I can get nice close-up view of it. A mixture of different of rocks a decent indicator of possible gold. Walking the bottom of the hill I try to keep an eye out for an area of heavily exposed rock as a starting point. I look until the sun is at its highest point in the sky I find exposed rock that looks to have once been a creek. With my pick I remove old mud. Jackpot. Specks of gold with the largest just barely being able to hold in between my fingertips. As I move up hill my heartbeat seems to go faster and faster as time flies by until I reach near the top of the hill. When I stop I finally realize that my hands have been shaking with excitement as I shortly see the sight of a gold bar and the feeling of being able to clinch it in my hand.

Crack! The noise feels like a nail hitting my back. Looking at the sky in every direction, a storm? No the skies are clear. The distant sound of what I can only describe as white noise slowly seems to get a little louder. I stare blankly dumb-founded. Suddenly it dawned. The river. My mind starts racing, my camp, I turn my head towards the now exposed creek. My prospecting gear, I can't do this without it. Before I know it my body moves down the hill sliding most of the way, my a*s chaffing the rocks a discomfort that seems too small in comparison. Now at the bottom I use the momentum to a full-on sprint. Leaping over fallen trees and through the lakes. Now with the camp within sight my foot landed at the bottom of a small hole, something that would not have been anything to worry if I was going slower. As I fell my ankle started trying to bend until I fell flat. Getting back up, with the pain I knew I could not hold much more weight on it. The river in sight the sound overtakes everything else going on in the forest.

My heart seems to stop as I feel the clashing of ice, slowly moving past and up. I look at my camp and almost step toward it until the pain in my foot finally has me thinking straight. High ground, I need to get to it. In a desperate attempt I force my body forward back to the hill. Now at the first lake the booming sound gets closer as I push myself even harder until the pain fades. Through the woods and around the trees I can see the reflection of the specks of gold. The sound now at my back I stop and inhale, now I see the price, without another there won't be another to enjoy the rewards.

© 2020 wisefather


Author's Note

wisefather
feedback requested

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Love the descriptives
I felt I was right there
I really liked it

Posted 3 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

20 Views
1 Review
Added on May 8, 2020
Last Updated on May 8, 2020
Tags: short, fiction

Author

wisefather
wisefather

About
Just starting to Write creatively. Currently submitting short stories to force myself to write full stories in preparation of possibly writing a novel in the future. more..