George's confusion

George's confusion

A Story by wisefool

George was confused.  That was normal for him actually.  If George was awake he was probably confused about something.  George looked at people who didn't seem to be conflicted and envied them a bit.  George, unlike many, refused to settle for easy answers.  As many like him are aware, that's a recipe for mental anguish.   Many are well aware that truth and tranquility tend to be enemies one with the other.  To the degree one seeks one he must abandon the other.  George decided to forget the desire for tranquility in his mind.  On this day however George's confusion wasn't about the deeper issues of life but were of a more micro than macro scale.
One thing George wasn't confused about was his preference for the outdoors.  He much preferred the trees to buildings and the streams to the streets.  It was a good place to go when he felt like this.  It wasn't just the clean air (though that was much to be preferred to the exhaust from cars) but it was the solitude.  With no noise and few distractions he could think more clearly.  He was considering a career move.  Of course, everyone he knew had an opinion on it.  Like most seekers of truth over tranquility uncertainty tended to reign in his mind and of course he rarely trusted his own judgment.  Though George was easily smarter than most of the people he knew, he didn't think he was.  So when someone would tell him that it was a bad move to take a new job he naturally began to doubt his own thoughts about taking it.  So uncertainty was back ensconced on the throne of his mind.  What was the best move to make?  Should he stay where he is or go on to something else?  He honestly did not know and it was a big source of stress.  
As he wrestled the pros and cons of each in his mind he again wondered how could some people live with so little mental conflict as they do.
How indeed do they do it?

© 2016 wisefool


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

92 Views
Added on December 9, 2016
Last Updated on December 9, 2016
Tags: decisions, uncertainty, truth

Author

wisefool
wisefool

Armuchee, GA



About
I'm a sophomore. Combination of two Greek words literally meaning a wise fool. I'm also a Baptist Preacher, a baptist with anabaptistic leanings. Politically I'm mostly a libertarian. I enjoy .. more..

Writing