a lonely iconoclast

a lonely iconoclast

A Poem by J.E. Stroud


She was beautiful and everyone loved her
and she chewed fruity gum that made her breath smell sweet
as she laughed in the faces of the boys that wanted her.
But one day someone told her that she was ugly
and she would never forget that.
So she starved herself to be beautiful
and she stopped chewing the fruity gum
because she worried how many calories it had.
Nobody loved her and the boys didn't want her
but they took her anyway, ashamed by the skeleton
that lay in their bed.

 

© 2009 J.E. Stroud


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like this. It made me laugh and then made me sad...good poetry.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is a really powerful piece, I'm shocked it doesn't have more reviews...the skeleton image that closes it out really drives the point home...well-done.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is an insane amount of good and truth. The ego is as fragile as you've excellently portrayed. This really struck a chord in me, because there have been so many times when someone's comment has not only ruined my day, but sometimes weeks or months into the future. It can change who you are in a second if you hear something differently than you normally hear, even if the person who said it had only one intention, which is to knock you down so that they can gain advantage.

This really is a stunning poem, because you don't expect it to go in the direction that it's going to go, even though it should be expected that beauty and self-confidence never last forever.

Posted 11 Years Ago


There is a weeeeeee bit of Edgar Lee Masters in here, and a wee bit of Masters is a very good thing. I think it reads a little unfinished, perhaps, but I'm not convinced of that--there's a certain sparseness about it that's appropriately skeletal.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Peer pressure; the bane of female individualism. How many sparkling personalities have been diminished by the onslaught of daft opinions.

Good write...!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

432 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 3, 2009

Author

J.E. Stroud
J.E. Stroud

Waco, TX



About
Unsure Unwell Uncetera Trying to get back into this- we'll see. If you are kind enough to review, please also choose a more recent piece. I'm barely the same person as my angsty past endeavors wou.. more..

Writing
Vessel Vessel

A Poem by J.E. Stroud


Unrest Unrest

A Poem by J.E. Stroud



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..