Let your child fail(stage play) rough copy

Let your child fail(stage play) rough copy

A Stage Play by James Grizzly Jones
"

parents who perform the worst kind of child abuse the abuse they are blind about

"

Narrator: This is a story about a mother who would help her child breathe and exhale instead of giving her direction scared she might turn pale. To sum it all up as parents we do care, but sometimes the toughest love is to let your child fail.

 

The play starts

 

Kimberly: Mom where are you?

 

Janice: I'm right here, what's wrong baby?

 

Kimberly: I have a report due next week and you said I could go to the show Saturday.

 

Janice: Okay and what's the problem?

 

Kimberley: I'm not going to be able to finish the work in time and I don't want to fail.

 

Janice: Okay, if you don't want to fail then you need to do your report. I’m not doing it for you.

 

Kimberley: So you will let me fail? I’m your child just this one time mom please!!!

Janice: Look I will do it this one time but after that never again. I will do the report but you have to read it so your teacher will think you wrote it. Also, I will misspell a few words because I don't want to make you seem too smart okay?

 

Kimberley: Thanks mom! I love you so much.

 

Janice: This is it, the very last time. You are going to be a senior next year; it’s time for you to grow up!

 

Paul: So are you coming out dancing tonight?

 

Janice: Sorry Paul I can’t!

 

Paul: Come on its 70’s night, what do you have to do better than that?

 

Janice: Kim is going out and I’m helping her with her report.

 

Paul: So let me get this straight! She is going out and you’re helping her with her report? It sounds like you are doing it for her. When are you going to let go of her hand and let her take responsibility for her actions like I told you before? You are really hurting her.

 

Janice: She is my daughter don't tell me how to raise my child. You know what-Goodbye Paul! Enjoy your night.

 

 

Narrator: Janice is crippling her daughter by not letting her live on her own. She lost a good friend because she could not handle the truth.  Kimberley knows her mom is a push over but every action has a reaction.

 

Janice: Kim baby wake up before you are late for school. Come on get up I can’t take you if u miss the bus I have a doctor’s appointment today.

 

Kimberley: I’m really tired you can’t reschedule your doctor’s appointment. Then you can drop me off at school,  I mean you were the one who let me stay out late past my curfew.

 

Janice: Okay, I will take you but you really have to grow up. What were you doing out so late anyway?

 

Kimberly: Oh nothing!

 

Kevin: So are you coming to see me tonight?

 

Kimberly: I don’t know I have an important test tomorrow!

 

Kevin: I really want to see you Kim.

  

Kimberley: You know what I can just get my mom to write me a doctor’s note.

 

Narrator: Little did they know that doctor’s note would change everything.

 

Phone rings

Kevin: Hello

Kimberley: Hey baby

Kevin: Who’s this?

 

Kimberley: It’s Kim, who else would it be?

 

Kevin: Oh hey, what’s up?

 

Kimberley: Remember that night when we made love?

 

Kevin: How could I forget?

 

Kimberly: You said you wanted a baby.

 

Kevin: Yeah, but I was drunk.

 

Kimberley: Well I’m pregnant!

 

Kevin: And you are telling me this why?

 

Kimberley: I’m telling you this because I was not with anybody else!

 

Kevin: Yeah right you have too many male friends to be able to tell that baby belongs to me.

Kimberley: Are you really acting like that? You know I didn't make it by myself.

 

Kevin: Okay, look truthfully you’re cool and everything. I just don't have time for a baby. You can’t you just get rid of it, Kim?

 

Kimberley: It’s not a thing.

 

Kevin: When the baby is born I will sign the papers to take away my rights. Then you and your mom can raise it, you’re able to con her into doing everything else for you. If she died you would be lost! Lucky for you she has her health. Just call me when it’s born and not a day earlier!

 

Kimberley: Don't worry I will never call you again!

 

Kevin: Good, thank you and have a nice life!

 

Narrator: Things are going downhill and they are only going to get worse. Janice has abandoned her health and because of this she does not know she is dying. Also, little Ms. Con artist aka Kimberly gave birth nine months later not to just one baby but two.

 

Kimberly: Hey mom, can you watch the boys for me while I go to the store with Tiffany.

 

Janice: Baby I have been at work all day and I'm tired!

 

Kimberly: Please mom, I'm not going to be gone long!

 

Janice: Okay, don't be long because I have to go to the doctors later.

 

Kimberly: Thank you! Oh by the way can you fill out those job applications so I can turn them back in tomorrow.

 

Janice: Okay, just don't take too long!

Tiffany: Kim you done yet? I thought we were here for me!

Kimberly: We are but I have a date tonight and just in case he invites me over I have to look extra sexy.

 

Tiffany: You just met him!!!

 

Kimberly: Here we go with the mother talk again! Look Tiff, don't judge me because you are far from perfect. Sounds to me like you’re jealous.

 

Tiffany: So you have two kids, who your mom takes care of! You have no job, no self-respect. I have a husband, my own place and a son who I take care of. NO Kim I’m not hatting on you but I do feel sorry for you!

 

Narrator: 4 hours later

 

Kimberley: Hey mom.

 

Janice: WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!

 

Kimberley: Why are you yelling?

 

Janice: I told you I had a doctor’s appointment! I told you it was important.

 

KIM: I'm sorry mom but I tried on some nice stuff and it was so cute I got caught up in myself.

 

Janice: That's good I'm glad you had a good time because I am not important. I can just reschedule my appointment.

 

Narrator: She never did reschedule that appointment and things went downhill even further from there. We are now one year later and it looks like things have taken a turn for the worst.

 

 

Kim: Mom, how can you have a heart disease? 

 

Janice: My sweet baby, I'm so sorry I don't want to leave you so unprepared. I have crippled you! The way I brought you up was wrong because I was scared to let you go live on your own!  I had no faith in myself and as a result I had no faith in you. Don’t do that with my grandsons, you have to let them fail and fall so they can learn from their mistakes! Please forgive me for being a bad mom and fix my mistakes by raising my grandson’s right. I'm getting kind of sleepy so I'm going to get some rest now.

 

Kim: I love you mom. 

 

Narrator: Her mother never woke up! Kimberly gets a call three days later to come get her mother’s medical records. She goes to pick up the records and meets with the doctor behind closed doors.

 

Kim: WHY WAS MY MOTHER NOT TOLD ABOUT HER HEART CONDITION?

 

DOCTOR: I RATHER NOT SAY.

 

Kim: WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU’D RATHER NOT SAY-TELL ME KNOW!

 

DOCTOR: Okay so four years ago she had chest pains and because of that I told her to come in for a checkup. She told me she had a paper to do but she would give me a call at a later time. Then three years later I had her in the schedule to come in again because the pain had gotten worse. But she never showed up because she had to watch her grandchildren. A year later she finally made it to my office to see me but by then it was too late she was already dying. So you see, as a result of your mother not letting you take care of your own responsibilities and growing up. She put her own health at risk and was too weak to fight.

 

Kim: This is all my fault. If I hadn’t gotten my mother to do everything for me maybe she would still be alive.

 

Narrator: We are now two months later after the fact, let’s see what has changed if anything at all.

 

Michael (Kim’s son) - Mommy I was throwing my ball too high and it got stuck in the tree. Can you go outside and get it out for me please?

 

Kim: I told you if you threw your ball too high it would get stuck right?

 

Michael: Yeah but can you get it down for me this one time please?

 

Kim: Absolutely not! Now go upstairs and wash your hands to get ready for dinner.

 

Narrator: This is a story about a mother who would help her child breathe and exhale instead of giving her direction, scared she might turn pale. To sum it all up as parents we do care but sometimes the toughest love is to let your child fail.

 

 

THANK YOU THE END

 

 

 

© 2015 James Grizzly Jones


My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

739 Views
Added on April 28, 2013
Last Updated on February 6, 2015
Tags: child abuse, self worth, play

Author

James Grizzly Jones
James Grizzly Jones

ROSEDALE, MD



About
I'm just a writer more..

Writing