Black Hat and White Hat

Black Hat and White Hat

A Story by ATG
"

An odd short story.

"

Two men walk into a saloon.  One is wearing a white hat and a white suit.  The other one is wearing a black hat and a black suit.  They looked like twins except the man wearing the white hat had ivory skin and pale eyes with no pupils or irises.  The black suited man had pitch black skin and black eyes that seemed to be all pupil.  They both sit at the bar simultaneously.  They both order the same drink at the same time.

 

"My mother died in a car accident when I was ten," said the man in the white hat.

 

"My father was a great man and always paid attention to me.  He raised me well under those circumstances," the man with the black hat said.

 

"My last two girlfriends cheated on me.  They called me a drunk with no goal in life," said white hat.

 

"I married a wonderful woman," said black.

 

"My wife died giving birth," said white.

 

"I love my son with all my heart," black hat said.

 

There was a man who sat between black hat and white hat.  He wore a grey suit.  The bartender returned and set a bottle in front of him.  The man in gray took a sip.  He sat drinking between the vacant seats occupied by black hat and whit hat.

 

"My friend died two nights ago in the hospital.  His liver finally gave out on him," said the ethereal man with the white hat.

 

"But my son still lives.  So do my other friends," said the nonexistant  man in the black hat.

 

"It is surprising any one cares for a old f**k like me.  Who cares for someone who is a hundred and twenty,"  said white hat.

 

"I'm only seventy.  And plenty of people care about me," said black.

 

"Who cares about another old man with cancer?  Who cares what I do with my gun," said white hat.  "Who cares if I end it all tonight?"

 

"My son will.  My friends will.  My soon to be born grandson will.  I so want to see him before I die,"  said black hat.

 

For the first time in a while, white hat remained silent.

 

"I should go back to the store and ask for a refund for that shotgun and shells," said the ghostly man in the black hat.  "I don't think I will need them any more."

 

The man between these two men had finished his drink.  He was done thinking about his life.  How he lost his mother and how his father raised him.  How his wife died giving birth to his son.  How his friend died in the hospital.  How much he loved his son and would love to see his grandson be born.  He got up, paid the bill, and put on his black and white hat.  He left through the door he came in.

© 2008 ATG


Author's Note

ATG
If you are still confused don't worry, it is a confusing story. It has to be read carefully. Even then, you may not get it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I get this! Wonderful piece. At first I was confused why the good one was black while the white wasn't but this is the man's thoughts. You used the whole theme of 'duality of nature' and displayed it quite well actually. It actually made me think and humans often do think two different ways, and i love how in this form of 'duality of nature' its talking a man out of suicide. wonderful job

Posted 15 Years Ago


I like this piece. I agree...it does seem like this man has created black hat and white in his mind to help contemplate whether or not to take his own life. Nice work.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Haha...makes me think of dominoes. Anyway, I like this story. I guess you didn't go for the cliche, angel-and-devil-on-the-shoulder device, which is good.It definitely puts a new spin on things. I am confused about their difference in ages though. If they were just both parts of the gray, why would the white be older?

Posted 15 Years Ago


I love this! Great idea for a story! The end was interesting, like a angel and devil on the man's shoulder. It was confusing in the beginning but that just made it even better when it made sense in the end. I would suggest not letting on about the man in the gray until the end to make it more of a surprise but you did a great job I like it just how it is as well.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is extremly confuzzling, but very well written. i luffles it.

Posted 15 Years Ago


It seems the black and white men are extensions of the grey as he debates his life and what route he plans on taking. On one side, he's pessimistic, the other is optimistic. from what I gather, the man is debating suicide. A good read!

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

213 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 19, 2008

Author

ATG
ATG

Independence, KY



About
I'm 21 years old. I like to watch movies and TV. I love to read and write stories. I have a good number of book ideas which are currently not written. I'm currently writing a good number of sho.. more..

Writing
Bella Bella

A Poem by ATG


Love Love

A Poem by ATG



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Run Run

A Story by ATG


Bella Bella

A Poem by ATG