3 birds with one stone (and then some)

3 birds with one stone (and then some)

A Story by Auralia
"

life: boring as usual for 16 year old aribella Thatcher. That is, until her old neighbor's three grandsons barge in her life and make life ..well........enjoyable of sorts

"

 Aribella

 “ But mom,” I protested, “ I really need an increase on my allowance. I saw these pair of shoes that I abso-tively positively need to have, and since you won’t get me them…”
“ Don’t use guilt on me young lady,” she cautioned, “ and besides, you already have more than enough shoes to last you a lifetime.” I sighed. This conversation was pointless. Obviously, like always I would lose the fight and have to open my lousy refrigerator for a carton of Ben & Jerry’s chocolate ice-cream to cheer me up. I turned to leave but mom called me back. “ Honey, how about this? A 17-year old girl shouldn’t stay cooped up in the house in winter. Go get a job. You’ll have some experience. Start with something easy so you’ll know what to do.”
“ Great,” I said in a false tone, “ what do you have in mind?” Her whole face brightened when I agreed with her. You see, mom and I don’t share the same traits. There’s her with her whole peppy, cheery, optimistic self, and me, with my art of sarcasticness. I always tell myself that 9 months of being in her womb should’ve done something to my attitude, but…
 “ Soooo?” I waited for her to answer. She thought for a minute then said, “ Well, you could always …”
**********
 I can’t believe I listened to her. That’s so me. I always listen to her. Not that she was strict or anything ( with her petite self, short pixie-cut hair, and light as a chime voice she couldn’t hurt a fly) but she could be pretty firm when she wanted to be. So, my genius of a mother had suggested for me to shovel our neighbors’ snow.
 You see, my neighbor is FULL of old people. Literally. I am like the only teenager on my block. But on the bright side, during Halloween they sure give away ALOT of money. (emphasis on the alot.)
 So here I was, shoveling the old folks’ homes. Our house was a bright pink while all the other were a dull shade of brown. To the left of us lives Mr. Tom, an old guy who lives by himself, but is the jolliest guy I know. Heck, he probably beats good ol’ Santa Claus on the nice list.
 Did I mention he was rich? So today he gave me $60 for shoveling his snow and I had taken it happily. Who wouldn’t. Certainly not me, a 17-year old girl who had dreams of someday making her own fashion designs. So I need all the money I can get my hands on. Hey, you got to start somewhere right?
 The house in front of his was Mrs.Smithly’s, and old lady who has a kidney problem. She kept to herself but was nice when spoken to. My hands were cold and numb from the cold but I reallyyyy needed the money, I had to deal. I walked up her porch and took out my paper which had everything I was going to say about my current situation with her in a pink gel pen. Compliments of having a mom who was too nice for her own good. As soon as I heard the door open, I looked down at my paper and started reading in a monotone. “ Good afternoon, Mrs. Smithly Umm, I’m supposed to apologize about the little accident involving your pet fish, Guppers, and how sorry I am for what I did to make him move on to the after fish life or fish heaven. Whichever suits you. I just want to say that I didn’t mean to make him fall in a bathtub full of bubbles. But, come on, he had it coming because he lived in a bowl on top of the bathroom sink. So I just wanna offer you a free snow shoveling thing or whatever. Are you up for it?” After I finished, I heard a deep throat being cleared in front of me. Either Mrs. Smithly had some serious after effects of her medicine, making her voice deep, or I’m dreaming. I looked up. Neither.
 I had expected Mrs. Smithly to stare down at me with glassy eyes because I had mentioned her loving fish, or to yell at me. I had even half-expected her to call the police at seeing the murderer of her Guppers. But what I didn’t expect was 3 very tall, very handsome guys about my age staring down at me with amused expressions. Holy Mother of Guppers!

© 2010 Auralia


Author's Note

Auralia
this is my first story on this website. so if i made any mistakes or anything, please don't hesitate to tell me. and of course, if you like, do the same! thnx for reading. <3333
;)))

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Was this a journal or an actual story? Either way I don't think it would sell big or anything. As to the style I liked it. It seems the story was actually happening. The only thing I would recommend is using more professional language. It makes the appeal better and makes the work more sophisticated. I am looking foward to more of your works in the future. good writing.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

77 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 29, 2010
Last Updated on July 29, 2010

Author