Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
 The Awaken

The Awaken

A Story by Blaze Bolton
"

A young girl named Catherine reflects on her previous life that seems like a fantasy now. When she gets put on a dangerous mission will she follow fate and finally break out?

"

           Catherine

I am a killer.

 

But for the wrong reasons. I never intended to hurt that woman or kill that old man. I had to do it, most people wouldn’t understand. Some would say I’m a monster. Who knows, maybe I am, but that doesn’t matter. Not anymore.

 

I dash across the steep, moist ground returning to a place I feared. My only worn out sweater, that I have had forever, isn’t enough to keep the cold pang of guilt from crashing over me like a wave.

 

I always told myself, I had to do it. But really, did I?

Under threat of torture, I followed their instructions.

Couldn’t I have just walked farther and farther away till the Iron Palace, as we called it became a blur?

 

No, they would have surely whipped me. I felt a tinge of pain on my back where the scars laid, memories that were never forgotten. Those questions and thoughts by and by popped into my head just to keep my busy, to keep me from becoming insane like the others.

 

Why am I even here? It came into my head absently as the dirt turned to mulch. That’s how I know where I’m going. Back to the nightmare that had kept me cooped up like a trapped chicken for 4 years. As I got over the hill, carefully trying not to slip, a four-story building made of bricks blackened with soot from fires, loomed over me, making me feel like an ant about to get squashed. The place reeked from poisonous gases to keep police and other investigators out. The “head master” made sure all of us got vaccinated. I rather wish I could die.

 

No light was seen from the building, people would think it was abandoned but I knew better. Black paste was painted on the windows, they took extreme caution and I despised it. I wish we could get found and get out of this living hell.

 

With a depressing sigh, I grabbed the handle opening the door and went inside. From the outside, you would never guess that inside the abandoned building would be huge equipment with others training for a long, hard hours. Gleaming lights filled the corridors, showing graffiti everywhere. People…I mean monsters were working viciously, their eyes filled with pride and no mercy. From a distance away I heard a scream. I could already tell what it was without turning around. A man had been killed on the mat that spread out and took up half of the room space.

 

Whoever fought on the mat or challenged one another was completely out of his mind. Once you won one match you would be filled with pride then the next match you were dead.

 

Simply it was a fight to the death.

 

My hands were shaking. I hated it when others got killed inside and outside, the screams louder and louder got too much for me and I walked down the narrow hallway.

 

Their one and only goal was getting closer and closer, the one I feared the most, the one they so savagely want…to end their enemies lives one by one.

 

As I trudged through the hallways, others looked up with their devilish smiles spreading across their faces. Marks branded their shoulders representing the number of years they have been here, some more than others. Eyes locked on me as if I was prey and they were the predators. Even though I was used to it, it made me uneasy. Some stared intently sizing me up probably thinking that they could beat me in a fight.

 

I felt shivers all down my back. Almost once or twice I put my head down in shame, but no such thing should be seen in this vicious place. They would first laugh then probably see how much torture I could take.

 

It was horrible. Every thing that they did was horrible. Where their hearts used to be humorous and loving, now was cruel and without mercy.

 

I kept my head up because fear wasn’t an option.

 

              Catherine

 

I sped up quickly so that they would stop those cold, mighty stares that bore into me so deeply. Going down the hallway, I looked and saw head-shaped holes in the wall, I winced in sympathy. That had happened to me last fall.

 

The question again nagged me, how are you even here? Exhausted I didn’t hold it back and before I knew it I was lost deep in thought.

 

It was a bright sunny day, a really perfect day. So perfect that now it seemed like a distant dream. Everything was working out just right. Laughing and pushing my brother, Ethan, into our crystal clear backyard pool I thought I would always be this carefree.

 

I immediately thought of Ethan who, with his blonde hair and bright blue eyes, attracted a lot of girls. I would always laugh, they didn’t know that he never had time for drama and girls with his love of football.

 

Other than that he was mischievous and would always volunteer to prank others and the pranks were never small.

 

That night would be the worst one yet. Sitting in my velvet red chair with a wool blanket over me, I was reading my favorite book of all time, Clockwork Angel. I heard a brisk demanding knock at the front door. Getting up, I walked through my kitchen, dirty dishes and all, but besides that it looked tidy with its baby blue walls and dotted white tiles circling the table.

 

I remembered how shocked I was to see a tall, broad-shouldered man with a dark hoodie covering his face. He stood there defiantly and in a deep horse voice he demanded that I come with him at once. Terrified, I recoiled from him. He harshly shook me, not caring whether I cried out or not. Talking slowly he explained that if I didn’t carry out their instructions, they would find everyone that was a family or friend and torture them.  He looked like someone who would enjoy watching others suffer.

 

Reluctantly, I followed him into the dark depth of the night.

 

The rest I didn’t want to remember; the torture, the questioning, and not to forget the laboring hours of learning how to fight and defend myself. Little did I know that the worst is yet to come.

 

Tears well in my eyes as I thought of all the women and men that have died at my hand. I bit my arm to keep from screaming…. I had made that mistake before, it wasn’t a pretty one. I made a sharp turn and came to a room labeled 305; I put my hand on one of the scanners and the door made a soft “click” indicating that it had been opened.

 

I went inside and glanced around the cream colored enclosed space that I had called my “room”.

 

My bed was decorated yellow and blue. The drapes were a pale white. Most girls would love to have something like this but I knew better than that. They just wanted me to stay longer.

 

To my left, the only papers pinned neatly to my wall, were articles of murders and injuries. The most common name in the papers is Catherine, a pathetic young girl as they put it. A black and white picture was beside it.

 

The girl in the picture was on the short side, with her hair in a torn-apart braid. Luckily you could only see her figure and not her face. She looked like she wanted to sprint away when the camera caught her. She was holding a knife; the only proof of the murder as a body lay a few feet away, lying lifelessly on the ground.

 

I ambled over to my one and only mirror. It was over a dirty sink, unable to stay clean. I took a good look at myself. Same Girl. Different life. Yet I felt as if I was watching someone else, crying and screaming as she recklessly killed people and tore families apart.

 

Looking at myself again, I studied my chocolate brown hair. Same as the picture, only now it’s pulled tightly back into a ponytail, nice and neat. Never once had I had time to really get a hard glance at my appearance, so it was a little odd.

 

My face was thin from loss of eating, but my eyes were just as big their bright green color and always lively. Dark circles under my eyes indicated that I had stayed up for many hours now. I tried to smile and failed. Smiling didn’t suit me nowadays with all the pain, sacrifice and harshness that had entered my life.

 

Everyone knows my name by now.

 

My name’s Catherine.

 

              Catherine

 

A loud knock came from the door, snapping me out of my reverie. My whole body tightened with fear, my brain recalling that night where it all changed forever. Ignoring the buzzing sound in my nerves, I stood up and threw the door open, not surprised to see Victor.

 

Victor, his pudgy face, jet-black hair sweeping over his eyebrows and his skinny frame leaning against the door was the main developer in this living nightmare. I hated everything about him; it was a simple as that. He smiled evilly, his face lighting up in the most unflattering way.

 

Raising his eyebrows, I knew that he was going to ask. Fear shot into my stomach like a bullet. The knife resting against my thigh became heavier and heavier.

 

Slowly, carefully he drew out the words like he enjoyed every last bit. He probably is loving it knowing him I thought to myself.

 

“ We recently discovered more enemies near us,” he spoke demandingly, “ it would be a great idea to end them, would it not?”

 

I knew that tone of voice, it was a command. The last guy who disagreed was taken away and never heard of again. With no other choice I mumbled a “Yes sir.”

 

“Excellent, I’m very pleased you agree.” He grinned sending waves of shivers down my neck. Feeling numb, I watched Victor call over one other person or victims as I thought of it. The “victims” were either manipulated or threatened to a point where they couldn’t feel any more feelings any less than a robot. It made me sick.

 

As in a trance, the boy Victor had commanded walked over.

“Yes, Gran Maestro.” The boy said in a monotone voice.

 

I loathed how there was not even a speck of life in their voice.

 

That name though…. somehow sounded familiar I couldn’t quite put my finger on it; it made me uncomfortable the way Victor was pleased by it. All the same, Victor once declared the situation to the boy. The boy never showed any expression.

 

Glancing, at me Victor remarked, “In the East side you will find their headquarters, with the weapons you will be given will be used against them. “ His cold eyes searching for any rebellion in me.

 

I wasn’t dense; I knew he has been watching me ever since I got here. Never had I ever felt so determined not to show it.

 

Just 1 more hour Catie, I thought to myself, just one more hour of hell and I’m out of here.

He then turned to the boy, “ I trust you know where that is.” He challenged, watching the boy.

 

“Yes, Gran Maestro, I have memorized all the routes of the forest.” The boy said immediately but still in the same as ever lifeless voice. That voice every time sent chills down my back, those chills that brought clippings of memories back.

 

Someone was holding my hand speaking in the same voice. As I tried and tried to figure out what he was telling me, I was unable, unsuccessful.

 

I was only half glad when Victor ushered us out to the unknown forest. Never was I this close to freedom. My whole entire body tingled with excitement as we set out on foot. So far, so good I told myself, it’s all going according to plan.

 

Trudging through this slippery forest and after a million questions I figured out his name was Trenton and he admits he never knew anything but that. His pale white face was easy to see in the pitch-blackness of the night.

 

Sometimes I looked behind me…. I could just feel something or someone watching us, waiting for a chance to strike at us. Trenton didn’t talk much. Once or twice I attempted to start a conversation but his eyes would glaze over like a screen closing and wouldn’t speak a word.

 

Suddenly we heard footsteps and deep in the woods there were two figures. Footsteps crunching on the wet leaves and rough voices filled the silence. Trenton finally declared, “We need to report this to the Gran Maestro immediately.”

 

Sighing I knew what I was going to do but still that name nagged me. I tried cracking him maybe he would tell me but no not even a peep from him. This was my chance to get away.

 

I whispered quietly to him, “ No you don’t have to report to whatever his name is.”

 

He looked jerking his head up, ”Not tell?” he said in awe, clearly confused. Before I could mention an idea, he turned away and this time spoke louder, “ I will not obey you, I am loyal to the Gran Maestro.” With that said he sprung into the ice-cold night leaving my stomach full of dread. Laying on the grass, I let my eyes fall and the voices flowed through my ears, trying not to think of the ways Victor would track me down and punish me.

 

“Jason we wont’ find anything, I think Han has gone out of his mind this time around.” a low voice questioned.

 

“Not to mention his wife Megan will be head over heels in love with every insane idea he has, but Drew, I think Han might be right this time.” This voice had a softer tone to it but it was definitely a man’s.

 

I wondered what they wanted to find and what were they doing in the middle of the forest. Then again I could say the same for myself.

 

Their footsteps and voices got closer and closer each and every minute. As I pulled myself carefully up I could see their bulky outlines better as they strolled towards me.

 

Before I knew it, they turned around and eyes sharp as daggers shot at me freezing me where I was.

 

            Drew

 

If you think walking through a deserted forest at midnight is easy, then I would like to see you try it.

 

Shuffling our feet through the leaves, I silently cursed Han for thinking up this dreadful idea. Jason on the other hand, had always wanted to look on the brighter side but why attempt when you already know there is no hope what so ever.

 

That’s exactly how I felt as I was looking in the forest for any intruders who even dared to enter the danger-infested woods.

 

Just about when I was going to tell Jason that even thought he was my partner, that he should fact the truth pretty soon, but before I could something rustled in the bushes. Taking a glance at Jason, who nodded, we both spun around seeing what animal would it be.

 

“Who’s there?” Jason barked surprising me. I grabbed it before it ran away. But it wasn’t an animal.

 

It was a girl.

 

 

                Drew

She had her wide green eyes looking terrified as I tugged her into the lush green grass with a dark blue-sky overhead.

 

Her brown hair was all matted, sending a strange feeling pumping through the veins in my body as she stared at me.

 

Ignoring the feeling, I questioned, “What are you here for?” I put all the harshness into my voice as I could muster.

 

“I…I can’t tell you.” Her voice raw with desperation and need. Suddenly I felt a strong urge to protect her, that’s silly I scolded myself, she is using me.

 

Jason then again surprising me piped up, “We just want to know so we could defend you when we take you back.” I listened to him, keeping his voice low and soft as if talking to a scared animal.

 

The girl almost shrieked, “No! I beg you, don’t take me back please! I’ll do whatever you want, just don’t take me back to that place”

 

All of a sudden, I got an idea when her almost horse voice spoke, it was crazy, but I had to try it.

 

“The Iron Palace?” I asked.

 

Her green vivid eyes shone bright with held-in tears. She tugged her sleeve back and before I knew it she showed a tattoo of her prison number.

 

            Gran Maestro

Sitting in a torn leather chair, I watched the screens, faintly amused. They didn’t know what they were getting themselves into.

 

The two boys interrogating the one girl was..what was the word? Interesting. That was it. I remembered both of the boys very young sprinting around getting in trouble as 8-year-old boys do. They wouldn’t ever know back then how important their role would be.

 

The girl was no surprise. She had been suspected for a traitor for months now. Her determination was the problem; it was the only thing that simply kept her alive. She should have been crushed like a bug in a normal circumstance.

 

Let’s just hope nothing would go wrong in this carefully laid out plan, I told myself.

 

The dull gray pone ringed once before I snatched it up.

 

“Gran Maestro? The culprits are being followed.” The young lady said her voice as the same as the others.

 

I grinned, the smile spreading across my face.

“Thank you C25, tell them that I am ready as well.”

 

“Yes, Gran Maestro.” She spoke flatly then hung up.

 

So far, those stuck-up brats won’t know what happened to them.

Catherine

 

With those three words spoken, I knew I was asking for a death wish but I owed it to all those dead people that I had slain…I owed it to myself.

 

Very slowly, I pulled back my sleeve, showing the imprinted dark tattoo on my tan skin that had 4 lines on it, stating that I had been there for four years. Neither boys looked awed or surprised, they almost looked as if they were expecting it.

 

I bowed my head, feeling ashamed. With both boys grabbing my shoulders, I knew with a sinking sensation what was going to happen. I saw it happen at the Iron Palace, they would first try to be nice then put you in a chair try to question you and finally when you were no more use, they would dispose of you.

 

They hauled me into a black suburban and from then on it was complete dead silence. While Drew was driving, Jason came into the back where I was strapped to the seat.

 

He showed me a dark-colored bandana.

 

 “We have to put it over your eyes so after you won’t come back.”

Again he spoke quietly, not saying the words that hung dryly in the air. There won’t be a next time, I thought, surely I will be dead.

 

Gulping, I spoke something that I had been itching to say.

 

“But,” I whispered, “They already know here your headquarters are. I thought you should know that.”

 

He closed his eyes just for a moment.

 

 “Thank you for telling me that, but I still have to put the bandana over your eyes.”

 

 Almost hastily, he tied the bandana around my head then slipped away. I listened to him get back in the front seat. The darkness settled in, once again and with the humming drone of the car, before I knew it, I was asleep.

 

Catherine

 

Using all my effort, I peeled my eyes open as the daytime dawned on me. Not speaking a word, again I overheard their conversation but was so exhausted that I only caught a few words.

 

 “…Traitor, not trustworthy…” I could barely make out the voices, much less than know whose voice it was.

 

Forcing myself, I got up and glanced around. Noticing I didn’t hear bird chirps or that outdoor smell, I was rather in a stuffy building.

 

Much of this place reminded me of the torturous palace that had turned me into a killer. Fear threatened its way out.

 

Drew was the first to take notice of me, his eyes saying different from what he spoke in a mockery tone.

 

 “Well good morning sunshine, you’re looking great today.”

 

Giving him an icy stare, I instantly wanted Jason here. Seems as if Drew was better composed when the other boy was near.

 

Seeing Jason, I let out a sigh of relief that I didn’t realize I was holding.

 

“Come this way.” Jason mumbled. He looked as tired as I felt.

 

In complete dead silence, all three of us trotted down a rather wide and long hallway. A memory sprung into my mind. Against my will, it flooded in.

 

Shackles snapped tightly on my writs, keeping me down. The guards, watching with delight on their faces. Chuckling, whispering to each other. Just then the door opened. Light came pouring in, which was so bright I could hardly see…

 

I snapped back to reality like a rubber band. That will not happen, I reassured myself. It must not.

 

The sadness in the air jolted me awake. If these people are sad, what’s in store for me I wondered. Will I die? Will they torture me? I had no way of knowing until I was there or wherever it is.

 

Even Drew who had been mean to me the whole entire way looked at me in sympathy. As we moved on and on I began to feel more and more dread.

 

Looking at the two boys surprisingly calmed me. Strangely even thought they look sad, they were better holding in their feelings in than myself.

 

Drew had red hair though really you could only see it in the sun to know. I peeked from one boy to the other. I was so near him that I could glance up and see his light hazel eyes that had a dark rim all around.

 

Jason was very different. As we trudged on, which felt like eons. His ash dark brown hair swayed over his eyes with every step he took.

 

Their eyes were both steady as usual but their expressions quite different…that thought faded instantly as Drew cleared his voice.

 

“We have arrived.” He gracefully turned to me,

“Don’t speak witty or humorous. The Council doesn’t looks darkly on it.”

 

A council? My head spun, when did they have a council? How would I know?

 

I turned to Jason to speak- to ask him anything really. Sulkily, he just shook his head and said nothing more. Not even a mere whisper.

 

Questions swamped my mind, filling it with terror. Both boys pulled back the giant bronze doors and we were in.

 

Calling to big would be an understatement.

 

It was gigantic; the room flourished with lights hanging down everywhere. A room of people were sitting in hard chairs that made a big U.

 

They all seemed to be speaking at once, their pudgy masks in between sadness and gleeful. All eyes were on me as I trudged down the never-ending staircase.

 

Wanting to scram and sprint away, I kept my ground. Surprising me, Drew was at my side at all times giving cold stares to others. Jason sat down next to a girl who looked quite happy.

 

Meanwhile, Drew led me up to a chair with handcuffs. I hesitantly went up. The cuffs seemed to be mocking me, gleaming off the scorching bright light.

 

“Just act confident and don’t lie with every question.” He whispered.

“ They tend to get suspicious a lot.”

 

Nodding at him, not trusting to talk, I forced my self down. The cuffs came down with the same familiar “click”.

 

Drew

After giving her that tip, it was time to sit down. That doesn’t mean that I wanted to. I almost dragged my feet back. Anger rose in my chest. It wasn’t fair that they had to question her like that! All the same, it had to be done.

 

I now knew the feeling that I felt when I was around her,     ` but I had to push her away. They were watching my every move and if I made an error in my job to watch over her they would release her.

 

I saw her green eyes widen in horror. I didn’t want to know all the torture she thought she was going to endure. It made the rage blossom more in my chest.

 

As the head leader Ted came up (behind his back we called him Teddy) looked ruthless, which would make anyone desire to scramble under his or her beds. Han the co-leader was suppose to be head but he turned it down. He had regretted it ever since.

 

Ted suspensefully walked up the stairs to where she was. He was one of the older leaders, around 35. If you lived that long surviving, everyone had to give you respect. Only most of the time those people turned into a lunatic though there were sometimes where they kept sane but those were only the strong ones.

 

His hair had turned white from old age and his piercing brown eyes looked menacing. He reached the chair, where she was strapped down.

 

He was on the skinny side, but still looked huge next to her. Even though I knew Ted was pretty much harmless, an unrecognizable feeling tugged on my gut, making me want to abruptly stop all this madness and just live in peace and happiness.

 

It was impossible; “ as long as humanity lives there will be no such things as peace.” Ted’s words echoed in my head. Sometimes I didn’t know which side was the right one, the good or bad. It made me cringe.

 

Secretly, I hated him and with every minute ticking he asked questions, personal ones too. Demandingly forced her to spill in front of the whole congregation.

 

While she was stuttering her words and not answering others, a rather skinny man next to me, smirked and whispered, “That little creature doesn’t stand a chance.” That enraged me, the very thought of them laughing and spitting at her inflamed me like I was made out of gunpowder.

 

The only person in this crowd of bloodthirsty animals that understood me was Jason. He looked over to me despite the girl smiling next to him, he looked sad as well.

 

I looked up to see what was going on. Much to my horror, the crowd was buzzing with excitement. Ted was yelling, “answer my question! What is your name?”

 

She was shaking from all the interrogating, close to falling apart. I stood up. I felt numb and I had no idea why I was doing this but I was. Clearing my throat, I spoke loudly, confidently so no one would ignore me.

 

Jason blushed looking embarrassed as he always was around girls when something went wrong. He glanced at me, his eyes motioning for me to sit down but I wasn’t-I couldn’t “In all due respect sir,” I boomed, “I think she’s had enough questioning and yelling at for one day, don’t ya think?”

 

At that moment, my voice got raw as if I was in the desert for days. What was I thinking? All the courage went out like a light switch.

 

Ted stood there for a moment, paralyzed. I held my breath, in a single word I could be thrown out. Being thrown out was the worse thing that could happen. Others who had gotten thrown out were left in the woods to survive or die.

 

 A slow smile crept on his face “Young man, I think you should think about what you are saying.” He strung out the words like it was a harp. The crowd murmured, but I was unable to catch the slightest word spoken.

 

“Anyhow, if this young lady would tell us her birth name, we will let her go for now…on your behalf.” The smile, once again, was on his mushed in face. I wanted to slap the smile off, but no violence is wanted in this room. The smile lasted a couple minutes. He knew what was going on but didn’t tell, just wanted to watch me in agony. My hate for him enraged.

 

A small squeak was heard; it came from the girl still wide eyed. Speaking more loudly now, letting her voice echo she said, “I will tell you, but on one condition that you won’t harm me or take me away but let me stay here til you sort it out.

 

“Of course,” Ted laughed, “ I think the young man has already implied that.” I felt myself blush, and then forcefully pulled it down.

 

She nodded, not saying a word. Then after considering it spoke up again, “My name is, “ she took a deep breath. She looked very run-down.” My name is Catherine Kelly.”

Drew

 

Gasps ran out all through the congregation, like a chain reaction. The girl, Catie paled even more, her face white as a ghost.

 

My whole body stilled, I remembered reading about her…getting warned that she was dangerous. There was something hilarious about that. Maybe it was because she seemed just as normal as anyone really.

 

Swiftly I strided up to where Ted was, ignoring the blank stares. “I believe she can go now if you want to live up to your part of the bargain.”

 

He then raised his eyebrows clearly knowing it was a challenge to see if he was faithful. “Ah, I see, very well then, I will let her stay for now. A strange chill went down my back feeling very unpleasant. Without a word, I helped her up and ushered her out before anyone could debate.

 

Catherine

 

The expression on their faces when I told them my birth name was unbearable.

 

Shuffling down the stairs, I saw no sign of Jason anywhere whatsoever. Others gave me exiling cold stares.

 

My shoulders sagged; I felt all the hope rush out of me. Surely they wouldn’t let me stay but- if I had a chance to do something good in all the years I have done wrong…

 

I turned to speak to Jason but his gaze didn’t meet mine. Instead, he was with a girl with a thin face, auburn hair in sheets, laughing, looking joyful. After they parted he came over though it looked more forced than carefree.

 

He stood there uneasy as if I could attack any second. The air was hot and stuffy and filled with whispers of betrayal; plan making and what to do with a “vicious murderer.” There was an ideal plan I wanted to share but I had to tell someone in private yet it was bubbling up ready to explode.

 

“Look, Jason I have to speak to you now, it’s been on my mind also its very important.” I barely whispered to him watching his facial expressions.

 

He tensed up suddenly making me jump back altogether. After a moment or two he pursed his lips then spoke, “I don’t think now is a good time for you to make plans �" Catherine.”

 

The words felt like a slap to the face. I had been so intent on telling him only to be knocked down as if I was only a mere child.

 

I talked quickly so I could get it all off my chest. “You don’t understand, this plan will help everyone, it will be the solution.”

 

Jason’s jaw set back, but for only a few minutes.

 

“Catherine, its not wise to start a plan, they will expect it. We can always ask them, not using force or trickery.”

 

There he went again using my name, shards of glass felt their way into my heart.

 

A voice spoke up, making Jason jerk his head. I soon realize who that same husky voice was. I almost grinned, Jason looked scared. It was Drew.

 

“I honestly think you’re losing your mind, Jason.” Drew chuckled, walking over punching Jason in the arm jokingly.

 

Jason’s mad attitude dimmed down, it was more like annoyance now.

 

Drew stared at me thoughtfully, “ Alright now, Cat, tell us your crazy psycho plan of yours.”

 

I blinked, “Cat?”

 

He smirked, “Yeah Cat because your personality is like a cat’s…pestering.

 

I narrowed my eyes. How dare he call me a cat! Before I could scold him, both boys were already laughing hysterically.

 

Gran Maestro

Smiling, I couldn’t wait for them to fail. I had spies all over syncing into their conversations.

 

They had caused me some problems but of course it was always easy to overcome them. The trio was forming a plan to destroy. Cute, I thought, that’s so adorable how they think they can just burn us down like that.

 

I didn’t run the whole facility for nothing. For six years it had been going perfect until those imbecile/.s wanted to ruin it.

 

A door opened, a short man came in clearly tired. He sat down and opened his notes.

 

“Well hello Ted…”

 

Drew

 

As I listened to her plan I thought it was genius.

 

Unless the devils at the Iron Palace got suspicious or the congregation decided against it, it was perfect.

 

“There’s one more thing to the plan though, “ Cat spoke confidently.

 

I smiled to myself; she really did act like a cat. Always persistent, ready to attack at anytime, and fierce. Of course I didn’t tell her any of that.

 

Our plan was easy and quick. We would propose an agreement to the leaders saying to let Cat into the Iron Palace, then lead us to Victor. Once she gave the call, we would go in there while she scurried back to headquarters.

 

Of course she would have cameras and voice monitors on her so she wouldn’t do anything out of order. When she spoke out, I was snapped back to reality.

 

“After we go through with our plan, she whispered, “I will let them kill me once its done.”

 

My stomach free falled right then and there. Her dying seemed like a joke now but she was completely serious.

 

The decision was already made before the words ever came out of her mouth. She was staying.

 

“Cat you’re not going away, “ my voice came out hoarse and I coughed to clear it.” To stop all this craziness you need to help us demolish them once and for all.”

 

Her green gleaming eyes were filled with sadness, a type of sadness I never bothered to notice. “ I don’t know about that, but that’s the least of our worries right now. We need to discover when we can chat with the head leaders.”

 

Jason, who was silent for the time being chimed in, “I know where we can figure it out. Han would know.”

 

Instantly, I felt like slapping my head. Of course! Han would know where all the meetings are. “Okay, well Han would probably be back from his meeting by now, we should go ask him.” I suggested.

 

Cat asked me, “Who’s Han? Another stuck-up leader.”

 

I had to smile to that. It was rare when one made a joke about the head leaders.

 

I replied back to her, “ No Han was runner-up for position because he turned it down. He’s actually pretty sane unless his wife Megan is there.”

 

Cat laughed at my response.

 

 

Drew

I was about to say more when Jason half-yelled, “I found Han!”

 

We jogged up to where Jason and Han were. Han was looking quite peculiar today. He must have been working long hours or else his blonde curly hair would’ve been brushed. Despite having bags under his blue eyes, he looked lively.

 

Cat, standing at my side, looked shocked at the sight of Han. I glanced between them wondering what the heck was going on.

 

Jason interrupted, “Catherine this is Han Kelly and Han this is Catherine….Kelly.” Jason’s eyes widened realizing something. I was bewildered by the fact.

 

Cat’s voice was quieter this time, “Ethan?” She seemed very unsure of what to do.

 

He slowly nodded, confirming it. “ I changed my name after, well after what happened. I didn’t want them coming after me too, I’m’ sorry but then I….I thought you would be here.” He gestured to the facility.

 

Her eyes held sadness and regret for a moment but then she quickly bounced back. “Now is not a good time to discuss this, we came here to request if you had any knowledge of when the congregation met. “ She spoke it all at once, sounding as if she had forced it out, I thought.

 

I stood there real awkward - as they chatted back and forward.

 

Han or Ethan whichever one he was raised up his eyebrows real high. “Hmm…and will you inform me why you are requesting this?”

 

I made an impatient noise, we didn’t have all day. I glanced at Cat. She saw my expression and shook her head informing me that she understood.

 

“Look, Ethan, I know this might not make any sense to you now, but we need to find this information.. you heard the rumor going around, of what they will do to me.” Cat’s voice wavered and in that exact moment I had never seen her so vulnerable.

 

“All right,” he closed his eyes, “Here are the times that they come together.” And with that, he gave us a list.

 

 

 

 

              Catherine

All four of us rushed down to the hall. Jason hadn’t been talking for the last 20 minutes, which was very unusual.

 

I peeked at him. He was glancing down and didn’t notice me at all. Before we arrived at the room where they were, Jason and Drew seemed deep in conversation, leaving me to my thoughts.

 

My thoughts changed constantly, from nervous and terrified to excited and hopeful. If I succeeded persuading them to let me, I could end all the senseless murders.

 

After an excruciating walk down we reached where the congregation would sit and discuss.

 

Jason spoke, “Well here we are…lets just hope that they don’t deny it.” We all agreed in mumbled tones.

 

Once again we opened the brass doors and all eyes turned around and settled on us.

 

Ted was in a middle of a speech when his own eyes fell upon us. The chandler glistened brightly up above.

 

“Well, well looks like they have returned…yay.” He clapped his hands sarcastically. Sometimes I thought that this compound was worse than the Iron Palace.

 

I crossed my arms defiantly; I wasn’t going to let him take over this time. “Actually,” I said in a matter-of-fact,” We came here to tell you worthless-“

 

I never got to finish what was on my mind for Jason stepped on my toe making me wince “What she meant to say was that we had an idea to get rid of them.” He said the word “them” as if it was the worst word he could mention.

 

Drew piped in and told Ted the elaborate plan. After considering it, Ted looked unsure. The silence was so eerie that you could hear a pin drop. At once he spoke, letting his voice bounce off the beige walls.

 

“Very well the, we will fulfill the plan.” A weight of suspense was finally lifted, leaving me to feel light headed. Before I could prance out he said quickly, “ But if you slip even the tiniest bit you will ultimately regret it.”

 

With no more time for a response, Ethan hurried us out of the room.

 

Drew

I was wishing to instantly get out of there for I knew Ted was in it. He would most certainly lead us to a death trap.

 

The others didn’t notice, however how obvious it was. Han was worried enough, not to mention that he had a sister who is wanted. I sighed, the worst was coming out of me because of stress, and she really wasn’t all that bad.

 

Rushing past a group of people, someone made us halt. Shannon, I thought please not now we have enough on our plates. She was in front of us crossing her arms.

 

“Where are you going?” She sounded worried but I knew it was more demanding than worried.

 

“I can’t talk now Shannon, it important I promise we will chat about it later,” Jason blurted.

 

Narrowing her eyes, she shook her head sharply.

 

“Please Shannon!” As Jason begged, I saw the others grow uncomfortable. I couldn’t blame them, it was awkward.

 

Just as she opened her mouth to say something hurtful, the intercom bellowed and called her to the office.

 

Looking at Jason straight in the eye she promised, “This is not over.” Only then did she pivot and stomp away.

 

The words hit me like a cold front. A gut feeling deep down inside of me told me that there was more to those words than that had met my eye.

 

Catherine

 

The following day, every one was shaken up. An hour before everything hopefully went as planned. I was almost slouching as they hooked up gadgets that blinked when they weren’t on.

 

Ted came by once to check that all of the gadgets were functioning. Also he made sure that I couldn’t access it, which was quite insulting to me.

 

20 minutes before, I had a chance to talk to anyone until they sounded a bell cueing me to deport.

 

Jason came in first, sitting down he pointed out, “Thanks for doing this even though you know just as much as I do, the danger of it all. “

 

Sighing I spook, my voice wavering, “You don’t know danger until you have looked it in the eyes and become friends with it.” Summoning all my courage, I then said, “Don’t thank me for what I’m about to do. It’s something I should have done four years ago �" when I was certain what was heaven and hell, for now I don’t know the difference.”

 

Nodding, he spoke, “They say you’re a disciple of the devil, but now I know you’re one of us but you have done something different, you awakened from it and you’re making it right.”

 

He stood up and left the room, leaving the silence to swallow me right up.

 

The door opened, and in stepped no other than my brother Ethan. I smiled, “so you changed your name to Han?”

 

He didn’t return my smile, but only shrugged.

 

I had to after you vanished; they wanted to scout out to find me.”

 

I only said, “Oh.” Because his face was so grim. I couldn’t even imagine what it must be like to lose me, he was always happy, but now his face was very distant.

 

Just then, Drew came in. He saw us talking and started to depart when Ethan spoke up.

 

 “Wait Drew you can come back I was just leaving.” Drew then came back and Ethan ignoring my protest strolled out.

 

Drew looked at me and said dryly “You look like a lit up Christmas tree.”

 

 I laughed despite everything and he grinned at my reaction. Suddenly the lights dimmed, telling me I had a few minutes.

 

He then looked at me, his eyes softening and whispered, “ Just be careful Cat.” The bell sounded and he whispered quietly, “ I love you.”

 

 

Catherine

It came to me as a shock as he let the words fly out of his mouth. He promptly left and Ted showed me the way to another black suburban. Bad memories flooded up at the sight of the car but I quickly dismissed it.

 

Quietly I stepped in and the excruciating drives begun.

 

I was shaken awake and with a start I tumbled into reality. We had arrived and holding my nerves together, I jumped into the harsh cold.

I walked a mile till I got to The Iron Palace, so things wouldn’t seem unusual. Replaying and replaying the plan in my head several times, I sneaked up the steps.

 

A guard was there, even though hidden, was open to my keen eyes.

 

He pounced up as I entered near the porch. Standing in my path he spoke carefully,

 

”What’s your name and state why you are here.”

 

In the most confidant voice I could muster, looking back at the worn out doors I reported: Catherine Kelly and I’m here to have a word with Victor Smith.

 

Raising his eyebrows, he spoke in a chucking tone,

 

“Well, well you’re Catherine, huh? Nice to have ya back.”

 

I resisted the temptation to roll my eyes and swiftly walked in the creaking building.

 

The instant I put a foot in, everyone snapped back his or her heads to look at me. One stood up and challenged.

 

“We haven’t seen you around why ya here?”

 

I sighed, gosh, why was everyone asking that question? Getting annoyed I spat.

 

 “You already know me! I need to talk to Victor.”

 

He yelled now, “I asked you a question!”

 

“Fine.” I replied, “My names Catherine Kelly and I want to talk to Victor.”

 

The man got wide-eyed and was about to mumble a few words when another man spoke up.

 

“I believe she wants to have a chat with me, not stare at you all shell-shocked.”

 

This time the man struggled to get words out. “Y-yes my apologies Gran Maestro.”

 

Why was that name used so often? I wondered inside.

 

Victor ignored him but turned around and glanced at me.

 

“We can go to the old abandoned building, that way no one can interrupt.”

 

Feeling all-cold inside and out, I nodded and followed him into the darkness. Once we reached the creaky black building, it was dead silence…. the worst kind.

 

Catherine

The building reeked of something- something not poisonous but rather the smell of dead people. I thought I would never have to smell that smell again once I escaped. I almost fainted. I knew what was happening.

 

“Let’s just cut down to the chase,” his eyes glinted like a sharks, those pitch-black eyes. He kept on talking like we were best buds. “No pretending or stalling.”

 

Victor’s knife was jabbing out of his hip making my instincts scream, Run! Run! Get out of there! Only my feet remained there, stuck to the ground like glue.

 

With a deadly gracefulness, he threw the knife. Thanks to years of horrid training, I quickly dodged the knife. With a giant thud, the knife sunk into the wall of the building.

 

“You should have rotted years ago.” He hissed like a snake and the second knife flew in the air like an arrow.

 

It never had to time to pierce me. Suddenly with a booming crack, the rafters fell on top of us.

 

Catherine

 

Soon Ethan, Jason, Drew and lots more came rushing in. They heaved back the rubble and I felt arms pull me up, pain shooting every second.

 

In the car that I had arrived in, there were muffled sounds of everyone chattering. I used all my energy to pull my eyes up to Drew.

 

“I’m sorry.” I croaked

 

He gazed back at me, “Ssh Ssh Cat everything’s alright now, and Victor died in the rubbish. You are released from fear….”

 

He didn’t end his sentence, he didn’t have to we both knew that the fear and also the pain would be always there. Maybe it would be hidden but it would be there.

 

I relaxed, my brain was buzzing but with happiness and peace now. No more pain my brain expressed happily.

 

Drew

Morning sunlight poured into the room. I awoke. Wanting to rub the sleep from my eyes, my arms refuse to cooperate. Thick cords are strapped over me.

 

“Where am I?”, I asked myself. A shadow falls upon me. It’s not the shadow of a bulky figure but that of a young girl.

 

Shannon.

 

My entire body screams and the room melts into a blur.

© 2014 Blaze Bolton


Author's Note

Blaze Bolton
Tell me what you think! i will accept all advice. This is my first story so im sorry if it has a few gaps.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
Added on January 8, 2014
Last Updated on January 8, 2014
Tags: adventure, gory, mission, story

Author

Blaze Bolton
Blaze Bolton

Raeligh, NC