Hello Old Friend

Hello Old Friend

A Poem by writingandthings
"

A free verse poem and a different take on depression.

"

Hello old friend.


Long time no see. How have you been lately?


Hey, look here. Stop averting my gaze. I can tell you're surprised by my visit.


You wanted me to come by though didn’t you? You wanted to get back to business?


Back in bed again I see. Expected, although I love hiding under the sheets.


Clouded in darkness is where I work my magic, but you already knew that.


Crying again? Tell me what happened. She hurt you? Not surprised. Look at yourself.


Darling, don’t worry we don’t have to go out today. At home, alone, is where I excel.


Pain. Shame. Hurt and blamed. That’s what you are today and always.


Oh? You think you were better off without me? Without my breath on your ear? Without my seductive voice to keep you company?


You say you were happy? You were lying through your teeth.


My cold embrace is all you need. Hey, no need to get angry. You know you missed me.


Yes, close the blinds. Lock the door. Crawl in bed and never leave the house again.


They don’t understand us. We both know the lies they spew.


I’m just ‘sad’ and that you're just a little blue.


We know the truth. No medication can rid you of me. You won’t simply get over me.


Hmm? Pulling the blades out from your drawer again?


Ah yes, one for their hate. One for your sins.


The red is oh so invigorating to me. It fuels me. But I’ve told you that before haven’t I?


Nothing to say? Ah yes. Time to sleep through the day.


I let you go to sleep, however I’ll always be here when you wake up my dear.


Even so, you’ll have to awake eventually I fear.


Oh. Getting even darker I see. Well, all you need is some pills and a drink.


Or if you’re up for dramatics a rope and a chair.


Look at you. So hopeless. I can see it in your eyes. The despair.


You’re a fool to think my presence will ever lessen.


For, hopeless child, I am depression.


And I am part of you. I will never leave your side.


From me you cannot hide.


© 2016 writingandthings


Author's Note

writingandthings
Tell me if this poem stirred your emotions at all. And can you relate, if your a person with depression?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I can definitely personally relate to 2/3 of this poem. As someone with complex PTSD and depression, I spend many days in my bed, hiding from life and unable to keep my eyes open. Luckily I am not a cutter. I have had episodes of suicidal ideation, but not action, so I definitely can connect to that seductive voice telling me the exact opposite of what I can and should do. I think you did a really good job with this. Great little details like people not understanding, isolating, fatigue, physical pain, etc. since many people don't realize they're a very real part of depression (and no, I can't snap out of it but thanks for the advice) ha ha, Nice job with this!

Posted 7 Years Ago


writingandthings

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate it :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
1 Review
Added on September 4, 2016
Last Updated on September 4, 2016
Tags: sad, depression, friend, old, poetry, poem, freeverse, dark

Author

writingandthings
writingandthings

Bradenton, FL



About
I'm an 18 year old writer who is simply trying to get better at her craft. more..