"The Forgotten"- A Tribute to Military Widows

"The Forgotten"- A Tribute to Military Widows

A Poem by Sheila Kline
"

Inspired by words received from a cousin regarding the plight of military widows. They are often too soon forgotten!

"
 photo 9fb04710-e791-404d-baf0-bdd4f639b9f1_zps9c2ed9eb.jpg
 photo 6cf52ec0-b801-4c55-8c0d-081251b7cabd_zps7b45b31e.jpg

© 2013 Sheila Kline


Author's Note

Sheila Kline










My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

those back home are the support for those in the service..hearing from those back home gives strength to the military personnel serving our country...so they are important also.

you are really great at these tributes, sheila.

i missed this first time around.

jacob

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sheila Kline

11 Years Ago

Your comments are very much appreciated!! I have done many tributes Jacob - I am glad you found thi.. read more



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
ron
I have had the greatest honor yet profoundly sad duty of being on a burial detail while in the Army. Thank you for telling of those that remain, after it is all said and done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sheila Kline

10 Years Ago

Thank you Ron for serving in this way for our country!! I know how much it meant to my mom when my .. read more
ron

10 Years Ago

Thank you. I am greatly honored that a writer of your caliber would ask such a humbling request of m.. read more
Sheila Kline

10 Years Ago

How wonderful!! I look forward to receiving your remarks!!
those back home are the support for those in the service..hearing from those back home gives strength to the military personnel serving our country...so they are important also.

you are really great at these tributes, sheila.

i missed this first time around.

jacob

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sheila Kline

11 Years Ago

Your comments are very much appreciated!! I have done many tributes Jacob - I am glad you found thi.. read more
The Forgotten - A Tribute to Military Widows


As the soft sounds of taps echoed in the distance,
Tears ran from my eyes, sorrow met not resistance.
Military widow is now the name I bear.
To don a mantle of such deep grief doesn’t seem fair.

Ne’er shall I forget the heroic man you were-
Fearless soldier ‘til the day your death did occur.
Now I have young children to care for on my own.
I asked, "Why must I bear this burden yet unknown?"

Though I stood proudly as they handed me your flag,
Strength and courage I showed though my spirit did lag.
Fighting in the name of country was your reason.
No better cause for war found in any season.

I recall fear when other widows struggled so.
Loneliness and hardship became their daily foe
After burial many come to ease the loss.
Concerns fade with time so paths no longer cross.

Sadly, others felt with time, pain of wounds would heal.
They thought I was fine as needs I did not reveal.
Days and nights melted into months and joined lost years,
And as life’s hourglass turned, I was still shedding tears.

Why am I unseen while in full sight I remain,
Or be a wife forgotten among life's refrain?
My husband’s brave acts helped our freedoms be preserved,
I asked my peers if apathy’s what I deserved.

I’ve been abandoned, is this how my world should be?
You gave your life to preserve our land’s liberty.
Has your untimely death forever sealed my doom?
I’m imprisoned in a life wallpapered with gloom!

I AM NOW BUT A MILITARY WIDOW - FORGOTTEN!

Sheila, Ms. Lady of Love



This poem was written as the result of an exchange of emails with a cousin of mine on November 22, 2008. I’d emailed him about a military widow who was taking flowers to a local cemetery to honor members of her family who had become victims of different wars.

The following was his response:

“Military wives should never be forgotten! They are the ones that give support and strength to the military man. I know that there are military husbands as well but the majority is wives. They suffer the same low pay and neglect that the active member does and they are nearly invisible to the world. They are then expected to suffer unbearable loss and pain and remain invisible. We have seen too many of them stand stoically with tears while being presented a flag and hearing the report of a military salute. They are beautiful women for their strength, and dignity shines through all else......their husbands serve for varied reasons but fight for one reason - freedom. No nobler cause can be found.


Posted 11 Years Ago


In this world of unsung heros, the military wife stands out, and for so many reasons. A military person on the other side of the world can be reinforced/energized by news from their spouse, or crushed and defeated. (I've had both) When the member doesn't come home alive, the burden on the one who's been holding up the fort may become unbearable.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sheila Kline

11 Years Ago

You express exactly what I have tried to say in this write! Thank you my friend!!
A wonderful share! And not a single response till now!
Most of us have trials in our lives, but I imagine few last so long as losing a spouse to war. I came back from Vietnam and lost my wife to divorce almost immediately... Another of the many negative dimensions to military service. The separation showed her that she did not really love me. I'm very glad to read this... "Sheila, MS Lady of Compassionate Love.
Peace be with you,
papaed

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sheila Kline

11 Years Ago

Thank you papaed!!! I hope to bring a bit of light to the problems of those who are left to strugg.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

459 Views
5 Reviews
Added on December 31, 2012
Last Updated on July 26, 2013
Tags: Military, Grief, Death, Sacrifice, Freedom, Liberty, Gloom, Abandoned

Author

Sheila Kline
Sheila Kline

WV



About
I am a Poetess of Multiplicity who also enjoys genealogy research, current events, folk ballads and Irish/Celtic music, and I am a grand lover of dogs! I strive to live by the philosophy o.. more..

Writing