Apprentice -- Chapter 2

Apprentice -- Chapter 2

A Story by Sarah

 

                Stepping back into Demi’s house, I can see the silhouette of her lean body under a bulky comforter on the couch. Cartoons are droning on in the background but I am too caught up in my thoughts about this girl. Who or whatever she is, she seems to be pretty persistent in getting my attention. I cant think this way though. There is no such thing as immortality. She has to be my imagination. I just need to not get my hopes up.

I can tell by Demi’s slow, repeating breath and stillness that she must be asleep. She finally looks at peace. Im not sure what her reaction will be once she hears what happened between me and Todd but I do not care. She has been my best friend for years and no one is going to mess with her. Especially some stupid boy she can’t say goodbye to. I slip off my coat and walk into the kitchen, finding the remains of what must have been lunch for Demi.

Time and time again, I can not help but think there is something between me and Demi. She is unmistakably a beautiful girl, anyone can see it. We take care of each other, we have so many things in common. The only thing I can’t stand about her is how she keeps her feelings and thoughts hidden. You will never know exactly what she is feeling. Sometimes, I feel like she hides them so well that she doesn’t even know.

If she didn’t have me, I don’t know how she would make it through high school. She has been through so much in her life, I’m surprised she made this far. Without me here, who else would fight off the jerks and the bullies? She is constantly being blamed for her father’s death-another thing we have in common. Our father’s were out one night, taking a night off together. Of course they went out, had a few drinks, I mean that’s normal. But supposedly her father had a little too much to drink and was his own designated driver. The next thing you know, there is two cars smashed to pieces and a man, a mother and twin babies being put into coffins. And ever since, Demi’s family has been the outcast family. I always ignored the rumors and the mutual feelings of the town because I knew her father. When he was sober, he was a great, strong man; Very protective of his family and very responsible. But no one will listen. They just stick to their own assumptions.

As I turn on the gas stove and set a pot of water on the flames, I feel two little arms cling to my body. I just smile to myself and whisper, “Sleep good?” I can feel her head nod as it lays gently on my back and I turn around in her arms. There are those beautiful green eyes, looking all swollen and tired. She is so precious and I can’t stop myself from thinking about us together. I suppose we do act like a couple. I won’t lie and say I have never kissed her or cuddled with her until she fell asleep. I guess we both just never made anything of it.

“Where did you go this morning?” she squeaked out, her face buried into my chest. How do I tell her I went to threaten the life of her boyfriend if he ever laid another finger on her? I don’t think I should so I lie.

“Well, I was going to get you breakfast. But I get you already had that taken care of.”

I hear her giggle and I know im safe for now.

“I’m going to go shower,” I hear her croak out. I just nod with a smile while she walks sleepily out of the kitchen and up the stairs. Making my way to the couch, I notice that weird presence I had witnessed this morning. Could it be Demi? No, of course not. I just saw her walk upstairs. And then I see it. Or her, should I say. The angel girl. She is sitting on the couch, her back to me. She is as still as stone.

“Okay. Who are you? And why are you following me? If you’re mad I didn’t show you around, you could of just waited until tomorrow.” No response. She may be beautiful, but she is already on my last nerve. I walk closer to her when I hear a little noise come from the top of the stairs. There she is, at the top of the stairs. How did she get up there? She was just on the couch. I try to get a better look at her but she is already making her way towards the bathroom where Demi is showering. I just watch for a second when she looks back at me with a completely different face than I just saw not even three seconds ago. Her eyes are blood red once again, her skin is whiter than snow and she looks almost evil. She flashes me a sadistic smile and walks into the bathroom. Then it hits me. She is going to hurt Demi.

I dart up the stairs as fast my thin legs will carry me, when I I hear an ear splitting scream. She got Demi. I almost fall to my knees at the sound but I force myself to keep going.

I burst open the door with all my power and scream Demi with all the power left over in my body. The angel girl, who seems more like demon, is nowhere to be seen. Just steam, the sound of water running and…Demi? She is still in the shower and she jumps at the sound of my voice.

“What?!” I hear her yell. How could that possibly be? I just heard her scream as though she was being tortured to death. She looks terrified though. Not as though she just saw a demon but because my shriek startled her.

“Sorry…thought I heard something. Are you okay?” she looks at my like I am going insane.

“Yes? Why wouldn’t I be?” I just shrug and back out of the bathroom without another word. This still doesn’t help me decide if the girl is real or not. It also doesn’t help me know what she is. I mean what kind of human can move at that speed and chance their appearance that fast? Or maybe she isn’t a human at all. Or maybe she isn’t actually there.

I try to shake off that event and I flop back on the couch. I slowly fall into a deep unconsciousness and I fall asleep. I sleep dreamlessly for who knows how long.

I am awaken to the smell of burnt macaroni and cheese. Demi must be trying to cook. Emphasis on the ‘trying’. I smile gently and sit up, stretching each one of my muscles and hearing a few pops here and there from my bones. That was an amazing nap. After everything that has happened today, I better not get any crap for it. I peak into the kitchen and wouldn’t you know it. There is Demi standing in front of the stove in her Hello Kitty pajama shorts and a white tank top the fits around her every curve.

Im about to move toward her but I stop myself. Have I ever really looked at her? I mean, for as long as we have been friends, I have never just sat back and studied her every inch. I stand silently in the doorway of her kitchen, out of her view, and I just study her. She has wide shoulders, but too wide because she is always slumping them forwards. She has the typical hourglass shape every girl dreams of. I have to admit, it does suit me just fine. She has a very nice pair of hips. Of course, though, I am a guy and I do notice the little things like the roundness to her butt and the perkiness of her breasts. But of course, being the gentleman I am, I don’t make any note of it.

My eyes finally make their way to her legs, when I hear her soft, pixie like voice say, “Enjoying the view?” d****t. I was caught. Oh well. She can’t blame me. Can she?

I smile at her and notice my cheeks are enflaming. I don’t usually blush but when it comes to her, the word “manly” tends to be put on a back burner.

She giggles and scoops some of her “macaroni and cheese” into two bowls and hands me one. I think she has had enough hurt for one day, so I just take a spoon full and hide how the fact it tastes like the main ingredient, aside from cheese, is charcoal.

“How was your nap, sleepy head?” I laugh gently and shrug.

“You’re quiet…what is it?” She sits down across the table from  me, looking honestly concerned.

“Does it have anything to do with what happened today while I was in the shower? Cause you looked like you had just seen a ghost.” I gulp at her use of words. Ghost. Is the angel girl possibly a ghost? I shake off the thought. She seemed too real and to lifelike to be anywhere near a ghost.

I shrug once again. “I don’t know. I just I am just still a little tired. Im fine, though, so don’t worry.” She doesn’t look convinced but she doesn’t persist on the subject anymore.

I start to get into my car a little later so I can be gone by the time her mom gets home. I turn to her and try to look as serious I can.

“Promise me you’ll tell me if he touches you again.” She just smiles but i know she knows I am serious.

“I pinky Promise, Patty. Now get going before my mom gets home.” I just nod and kiss her cheek. And im off.

The whole drive home I think about angel girl once again. I need to find out my unanswered questions. I need to know who-or in this case- what she is, where she came from, and what she wants from me. She came around right when I noticed that uneasy presence at Demi’s house. Maybe it was her this morning before my shower and she just didn’t show herself. The thought sends chills down my spine. If she can make me believe she is hurting my best friend, what happens if she finds my house. She could make me believe anything. I need to find answers. And I am not going to stop until I get some.

I walk inside to find my mom asleep on the couch. She must’ve had a long day. I think about telling her what has been happening but the last thing I need is for someone to tell me I am crazy. I know im not crazy. Or at least I think so.

I remember as I am crawling into bed that night that I didn’t go to school. Hopefully no one told my mom cause if so, then id be pretty much screwed. My mom is one of those mom’s who are having a love battle between the love of her son and her love for her son’s grades. Plus, I don’t skip school on a regular basis. Only when necessary. And today was something I would consider necessary.

For the first time in almost a year, I sleep through the entire night without visiting the isolated road and that uneasy presence.

© 2011 Sarah


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

219 Views
Added on December 17, 2011
Last Updated on December 17, 2011

Author

Sarah
Sarah

About
My name is Sarah . I am going to be on the New York Best Seller list one day . I Like to write about everything , mostly fiction . i write anything from poems to novels. Read my Stuff , I Enjoy fe.. more..

Writing