Transpobia: A Global Epidemic

Transpobia: A Global Epidemic

A Story by Mary Adalia
"

A look into transphobia, and the repercussions of fostering volatile attitudes.

"

Trans·pho·bi·a: noun: unreasoning hostility, aversion, etc., toward transgender people.

Since 2008, there have been over 1,500 reported murders of trans people. (TransRepect) Transsexual and transgender individuals, who make up the trans community, are more likely to be abused both physically and verbally, harassed, assaulted, bullied in school, and targets of discrimination. This national prejudice has been perpetuated by cisgenderism, and a fear of not only trans people, but also non-binary/gender variant individuals.  This negative attitude has had detrimental consequences.

One in eight trans women of color will be a victim of homicide. (Transstudent) The murder of trans individuals has become such a problem that the Trans Murder Monitoring project was launched by Transgender Europe (TGEU) in 2009 to create a documented collection, monitoring, and analysis of reported homicides of trans people around the world. Additionally, a survey in 2008 found that 79% of its participants, “had experienced some form of harassment in public, ranging from transphobic comments to physical or sexual abuse.” (TGEU) It’s been proven that one in two trans persons will be attacked (threatened/insulted/a target of violence) in their lifetimes. So many trans individuals have been victims of homicide that a ‘Transgender Day of Remembrance’ was created fifteen years ago, and it hardly scratches the surface.  Nearly every two or three days, a trans person is killed because they do not conform to their assigned sex, though this statistic is said to be inaccurate due to a lack of media attention or reports not filed by police. These staggering statistics show not only an extreme prejudice, but also a lack of protection for these individuals.

Due to this hatred, it is reported that 80% of trans students feel unsafe at school; this is more than likely because 49% of them will be physically assaulted because of their gender expression at some point in their lives, and is more likely to happen in a school environment because this is where most bullying occurs. (Transstudent) Though Title IX extends to those who are gender nonconforming, and complaints of discrimination or harassment can be filed for investigation with the Office of Civil Rights, trans students are still in danger. The reality is, nearly 59% of gender non-conforming students experience verbal harassment due to their gender expression. These are children, who have the right to any gender expression they feel comfortable with, but cannot exercise these rights for fear of harassment.

While both trans students and adults alike experience harassment, the issue of domestic violence also hits close to home. A survey in 2011 showed that one in five trans people experiences domestic violence at home for their non-conforming gender identities (NGLTF/NCTE). Leigh Goodmark, a professor of law at University of Baltimore School of Law wrote in her paper, “Transgender People, Intimate Partner Abuse, and the Legal System”, “A 2001 survey found that over their lifetimes, almost 60% of trans people experienced either violence or harassment: 23% were stalked, and almost 14% experienced rape or sexual abuse.” (Goodmark) Considering that trans people are 1.9 times more likely to experience physical violence from an intimate relationship, it’s scary to think that fear and prejudice are present in personal relationships.

While trans individuals deal and cope with domestic violence, harassment, abuse, and judgment, 41% of the trans community has attempted suicide. Due to bullying, fear of expressing desired gender identity, and assault, many trans individuals face seemingly impossible obstacles. Trans individuals have reported that hiding their gender variance has been necessary, and this resulted in “suppressed sociability, being lonely and in denial, living life as someone I wasn’t has hurt me emotionally, depression and anxiety, disastrous personal relationships, low self-esteem, regret” and many other negative emotions. (Transgender Mental Health)

Though statistics and facts are the basis of what show the true evil of transphobia, real life examples reiterate the prejudice. Belinda Jenner, formerly Bruce, has had her transition blown up by the media, due to the fact that she is a celebrity.  The media representation has not only made it seem as though her new gender identity is invalid, but is ultimately stripping her of her humanity. With many news outlets still referring to Belinda as Bruce, and she as he, they are making it seem as though her gender pronouns and new name are optional. Sebastian James Dillingham, an NYU student who came out as transgender, said, “I think the media is treating her terribly, using her as an object for attention and money. They make fun of her and ask other people to judge her along with them asking ‘What do you think of his new name? Does it suit him?’ turning her name into a game while simultaneously misgendering her.” Jenner has been seen wearing nail polish, ‘feminine attire’, having a shaved Adams apple, and cross-dressing. This has made it to the news, this is what tabloids see as front-page material. There is such an uproar about her and her gender identity; in reality, it doesn’t affect anyone’s life. Transitioning is an extremely sensitive topic, and the media does not often grant people the respect they deserve, hence headlines not only misgendering Belinda, but claiming she’d be an ugly woman/was a handsome man. Express wrote, “Bruce Jenner was an all-American hero, a square-jawed Olympic superman with leading man looks.” (Sheridan) This negative attitude is what the trans community fears when coming out, and Belinda is in the spotlight- she doesn’t necessarily want to be.

Overall, the violence and animosity the trans community experiences as a whole has resulted in a global epidemic. The fear instilled in most of the world has caused trans people to be murdered, harassed, abused, and tormented. Whether it’s mocking a trans individual, physical assault, or even just negative media coverage, transphobia is a serious issue. There is no small or insignificant act of transphobia, and the only way to create a safe community for trans individuals is to stop the hatred in its tracks.

“How many transgenders have to die before you get involved?”, a sign at the International Transgender Day of Remembrance asks. This is exactly the question one must ask themselves. Simply extending the same courtesy you give to cisgendered people is enough; and maybe the phrases “men and women”, or “boys and girls” are not all-inclusive.

© 2015 Mary Adalia


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
Added on August 16, 2015
Last Updated on August 16, 2015
Tags: trans, transphobia, lgbtq

Author

Mary Adalia
Mary Adalia

About
dumping grounds more..

Writing