Land of Smiles

Land of Smiles

A Story by wordsthink
"

Whether you call it City of Angels or Sin City of Asia, Bangkok is earning itself a new name.

"
I've met many people from all around the world who ask me what there is to see and do in Bangkok. When people speak of Bangkok, a stereotypical image of 'Wat' or temples, the Grand Palace and other historical landmarks appears in magazines and travel guides. Others may think of the wild nightlife Bangkok offers that cater every gender at Patpong district and Khao San road. Those photos and writings are most likely a few years, or even decades old. Put them aside. I'm not saying that these disappeared or became less popular, but there are definitely new landmarks that are redefining the 'must-visit' places. 

Shopping malls.

They are popping up literally every year, regardless of size. The target audience varies from teenagers who carry a few hundred baht when they go out ($10-20) to 'hi-so' (high society) ladies with purses full of credit cards. It is a simple fact that most people in Bangkok spend their lives in shopping malls. Is shopping really the best way to boost the Thai economy? 

© 2015 wordsthink


Author's Note

wordsthink
Written by a slightly frustrated young adult who grew up in Bangkok.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

98 Views
Added on April 2, 2015
Last Updated on April 3, 2015
Tags: Bangkok

Author

wordsthink
wordsthink

About
First year university student. Bangkok - Hong Kong - Taiwan more..

Writing