Best tips how not to procrastinate while writing a book

Best tips how not to procrastinate while writing a book

A Story by Yohana
"

No point denying it, yes, this is the first thing we should do – stop denying, accept it and say it with me – “yes i procrastinate” and now say – but, it is okay.

"

TIP 1: It is only when we accept the error that we have we made " we can begin talking about correcting it!

The problem with the habit of procrastination is that ‘we as writers and we as creative souls’ " we do not want to accept that we are procrastinating. Yes, doing the laundry and going to the grocery market was important. I wish I could have written a couple of blogs before I went to the grocery store and after doing the laundry… We all know " how procrastination works? Don’t we?
We begin by telling ourselves, it is okay; it is not like the due date is tomorrow. It is far away. Let us get our chores done and relax! Watch some television! And even before you realize, the due date has passed away! Or it is on the due date that you are wondering" who ate my days!
And you just become helpless about this fact. You might then tell your mind " It is okay, maybe I will try next time, some other project will turn up. Again, the same cycle is repeated.
Only that there is no next time! We have invented the wheel of procrastination and it is not going to listen to our feeble commands: Hey! Stop thinking like that! No movies! And no Facebook today! Let us get some work done!

Tip 2: Now, that you have accepted that you’re a procrastinator " It is time to reinvent the wheel

Let us see how. Firstly, don’t be hard on yourself. And let us get our thinking right. Get over the ‘I am Mr. /Ms. Popular on Facebook’ phenomenon. No one is going to miss you, if you stop to ‘Sign In’ on ‘Facebook’ regularly to write an update on Facebook or write a tweet on Twitter. Doing laundry and visiting the grocery store is fine but not at the cost of your writing work. So, this is the first task " ‘we should give ourselves positive messages and think positive about our writing work’.
Second task is to measure the goal. How big is it? How can you reach your goal? How much time do you require? Do you have a to-do list? Let us write the to-do list on the white board and hang the white board in the room where you do all your work.
Okay, but what would you like to include in the to-do list? The answer is " what are you working on?
Let us say you are working on your first fiction novel. Now, let us figure out a thing or two about the work of writing a fiction novel " What are you most apprehensive about?
Are you apprehensive about getting new ideas? Or you are just apprehensive that your ideas are not good enough. Now, whatever be the apprehension let us not forget, if we simply talk to people and ask for help, we can find the solution. If we search for a solution, then we will find the solution.

Tip 3: Talk to your contacts

You are a writer and I am sure you will know some writing mentors and experts in the writing and publishing field. Simply send them a message " ‘I am writing a fiction novel and I am filled with ideas’. I would be really grateful, if we can discuss this project. I am sure with your assistance; I can walk the path from good work to great work. I only request for 1 hour of your time on a day convenient to you. Let us meet over lunch. Let me offer you lunch in your favorite restaurant. Please tell me the name of your favorite restaurant. I will carry a tape recorder which will record your advice and so I won’t be taking notes but my audio recorder will. Hope that is okay! I look forward to hear from you at your earliest convenience.
Once, you receive an affirmative response from one of your writing expert or mentor friend " Prepare a questionnaire and go prepared to ask some questions. Questions such as ‘How do you begin your writing process; How do you gather inspiration; and other questions will help you get some concrete answers from the expert. But, keep it short: 8-10 questions at the most.

Tip 4: Sign up for 2-3 online resources

Now that you have met someone from the publishing industry, this positive experience will certainly make you feel much better about yourself as a writer. You are gradually getting out of the procrastination hangover. You have begun walking, if not running! Go for another task " Sign up for 2-3 great online writing improvement resources. Just Google ‘Book Writing Advice’ or other keywords and you will find many resources. Ignore the paid ones and go for the free resources.
Don’t sign up for more than 3 resources because you don’t want to pile your inbox with writing advice " while you don’t have time to read most of it!
You could also register for a writing workshop, or seminar. A seminar or workshop is a great platform to let creativity flow through your mind. Besides you also get the opportunity to meet like-minded people.

Tip 5: Begin Working

After following Tip 3 and Tip 4, begin working.
Avoid two things: Editing and rejecting your ideas until you have finished the first chapter. Now, begin writing your first chapter again without editing and rejecting your ideas. Do this task thrice.
Finally, move on to chapter 2, chapter 3, and chapter 4 and keep moving slowly but steadily. Yes, you are out of the habit of procrastination. You can tell yourself that " I am not a procrastinator, not anymore. Now, you deserve more inspiration and some praise. Keep it ready! You could contact your mentor, friend or even talk to your spouse about the book.
Be open to ideas and constructive criticism but do not accept everything they say at face value.
Your Work Counts! Your Research Counts! You as a Writer Count!
Hence, don’t surrender to apprehensions and procrastinate, IT IS NOT OVER, UNTIL YOU STOP TRYING!!!


Post was also published at

© 2015 Yohana


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

71 Views
Added on February 18, 2015
Last Updated on February 26, 2015
Tags: writing a book, procrastination, effective writing

Author