Magic of the Carnival

Magic of the Carnival

A Story by Thalassa

Little was she to believe that magic happened around the carnival.



Familiar faces lurked around the open area infused with psychedelic pennants wrapped around torches, squeals in hopes of carrying a toy back home were heard from every inch of the carnival, and the infamous clowns approached children with their parents and pleaded for their attention. It was inescapable to tag along the carnival for there was something alluring about its antics. Whether it was because of the vivid hues or the painted faces of frivolousness, it was undeniable that it stood for something other than amusement.


With a stick of cotton candy on her right hand, and her left hand nervously holding her mother’s hand; she set foot in the carnival. She was overwhelmed with the energy that she received as she bumped her way through the busy crowd. As her eyes scanned the carnival, she observed that the booths contained enjoyable prizes and hand paintings of large animals that surfaced on the plywood. Behind the tents were the food stalls containing hotdogs, corndogs, strawberry flavored lollipops, twirled fries, and sandwiches. To join the luxury of fun, there were vomit-inducing rides that seemed to increase in speed after every three hours of its duration. Wide-eyed and focused on staring at the ferris wheel, she tugged at her mother’s arm and led her to the lengthy line facing the ticket booth.


Step on to the tub little miss, don’t be afraid.” The assistant of the operator, a scruffy man whose tenderness radiates, reached for her hand and she felt the warmth of his hand seep into hers and she felt safe.


On the first few seconds of the tub slowly elevating, she gripped her mother’s arm out of fear. But after her mother reassuringly smiled at her, she loosened her grip and focused on the nuts surrounding the metallic bars of the tub that held it for security. As she felt the wind gently bristle through her locks, she found the courage to look not only at the sky but also at the world below. The emitted light from the lamps and torches mesmerized her, for among the crowd, they were like sparkles and glitters that she would lovingly put on letters whenever she wrote them. The hues that played along the horizon and reflected on the land resembled the galaxy she dreamt of visiting. But as she gaped closely, she could see ripped tents situated in the darkness. Nonetheless, she still persisted on making the picture sharper.


As a result, she squinted her eyes. Outside the space the carnival was confined in, revealed several houses made out of broken roofs and built out of cement mixed with gravel. The families living in the small-scaled houses were evidently famished with hunger and hopelessness for a cleaner place that they were forcefully put in. She was stricken with pity and guilt for as she lavishly rode on the ferris wheel, there were people below who could not afford to look from above.



Once she stepped out of the tub, she tugged at her mother’s arm once again and cried, for she realized that the carnival solely took the magic away.


© 2019 Thalassa


Author's Note

Thalassa
This piece is a representation of how my innocence grew into realization and acceptance of the world I knew I was protected from, as a little girl. I hope you enjoy this piece.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Growing up in the capital city of a developing country, I can relate to how that little girl feels. That realization hits you harder than Miley Cyrus on a wrecking ball.

Somehow, this reminds me of the reason I stopped enjoying carnivals. Maybe the phrase "to grow out of something" meant something deeper than just stopping enjoying childlike activities after all.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Thalassa

4 Years Ago

I haven't been to carnivals actually, I was just intrigued with the thought of carnivals whenever i .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

33 Views
1 Review
Added on August 6, 2019
Last Updated on August 6, 2019
Tags: #CreativeWriting, #Story, #Carnival, #Magic, #Sad, #Realization

Author

Thalassa
Thalassa

Quezon City, NCR, Philippines



About
filled with incredulous thoughts, but constantly creating a sea of stories with them; more..

Writing