Raina

Raina

A Story by yukiderp
"

Raina has to decide with her best friend Shen, whether or not they want to runaway together to live in a beautifully enchanted place hidden deep within a forest.

"

“Where are we going?” I ask. I stop suddenly, trying to catch my breath.

                “You’ll see when we get there,” Shen says, smiling down at me. “Come on, Raina, you can’t be tired already.”

             “We’ve been running for almost two miles now! Who wouldn’t be tired?” I say.

                Shen holds out his hand, “You won’t regret coming here, just trust me.”

            And I do. He’s never let me down before, so why would he suddenly do so now? Together we continue to make our way through the quiet forest. Our shoes make close to no sound on the soft green moss covering the ground. Everything here feels crisp and fresh. There are trees all around us, but up ahead there’s a large rocky mountain blocking our path. It’s quiet, but I can still hear the sound of birds chirping in the distance. As we get closer to the mountain, Shen gently pushes the green ivy growing on the rock face aside, revealing a small cave opening, and pulls me in.

As soon as we step in, the atmosphere suddenly becomes mute. We silently walk down the tunnel, passing small patches of strange-colored flowers here and there. I look above and notice cracks in the ceiling where bits of sunshine are falling through, allowing us to see where we’re walking. I pause for a second at a glowing purple flower and stare closely at it. Abruptly the flower snaps close and I jerk back in surprise.

“Let’s go, Raina, we’re almost there,” Shen whispers.

              When we finally reach the end of the tunnel, I peek over Shen’s shoulders and gasp in amazement. Another tunnel, leading upward this time, was extending endlessly above us. Shen carefully grabs hold of a crack in the tunnel’s wall and slowly begins to climb up. I follow closely behind him. Feeling like hours have passed since we left the ground, we arrive at a small opening at the top and climb out.

             “Look around you, Raina.”

            The first thing I hear is a magnificent waterfall roaring loudly a few yards away. A few animals have gathered around to drink in its clear mountain water. My attention is moves to a large butterfly fluttering down from a tree branch above me and rests on my shoulders. The colors on its wings reflect in the light and start to change hues, from a bright glowing cyan to a crystal clear blue. I gasp as the butterfly takes off without warning and disappears into the sky.

                “It’s beautiful here… How did you find it?” I ask.

                “I really don’t know,” he responds. “One day I was exploring, and I just ended up here. Don’t you wish you could stay here forever though?”

                I murmur in agreement and close my eyes, listening to the peaceful sounds of Mother Nature working her magic. I think I can almost hear the trees growing.

                My eyes flutter open as Shen’s hand rests on my cheek, “Raina,” he says.

            I jump as I realize the closeness of his face. “W-what is it?”

                “What if we really did just stay here…and never went home?” he asks, staring earnestly at me.

                “I don’t know, but we can’t just leave our families like that…right?” I respond.   Shen is already shaking his head.  “It’s okay though. We’ll be safe here and nothing can harm us. Come on, Raina, please? Let’s stay here together, forever.”

                “You’re kind of missing my point.” Something isn’t right. The Shen I knew wouldn’t say things like this.

                “Raina, look around you! You can’t deny that this is the most beautiful place you’ve ever seen, right?” he says. He almost sounds like he’s…whining. Like a child.

            I study his earnest face; something looks different about him. I reach up to touch his cheek, but my finger moves right through him. I gasp.

                “What?” he asks questioningly, tilting his head and unaware about what just happened.

                “Shen! Your face! My�'” I stop when I realize that his body has been blown out of proportion. His mouth continues to move, as if he’s trying to tell me something, but I can’t hear him. “Shen?” I whisper. “What’s happening?” But his body only continues to shrink away, along with everything else. Suddenly I feel someone shaking me.  I open my eyes.

                “You were dreaming, Raina, are you all right?” It’s Shen, the real him. I clamp his cheeks together to make sure of it, and he looks at me funny. “What’s the matter?”

                “Nothing, just a bad dream,” I tell him, hiding a smile. He shrugs and pulls me up. It’s still dark outside, but I can see the sun rising on the horizon. “Where are we going today?”

             “You’ll see,” he says with a grin.

            I get a strange sense of déjà vu. But that was just a dream…right?

            Shen pulls me up and we quietly sneak out of my house, trying not to wake up my sisters. The two of us hop the fence outside and sprint toward the forest nearby. It looks dark and eerie, definitely not like the one in my dream. As we charge through the forest, branches scratch our arms and legs, tearing bits of our clothes as well, but we ignore it and keep on. Finally we reach a cave, and to my horror, it looks frighteningly close to the one in my dream. I take a step back.

             “What’s wrong?” Shen asks.

A large sense of foreboding is overwhelming me. “I can’t go in there,” I say, shaking my head.

                He laughs, “What do you mean you can’t? Come on, let’s go.”

            I shake my head more frantically.

            His eyes grow cold. “Raina, you promised you’d come with me.”

                “No I didn’t,” I whisper. What’s happening to me?

                “Raina.” Shen’s voice sounds dark and he looks at me sternly. “Raina, do as I say.”

                All this time I’ve been stepping further and further away from the cave, and maybe even Shen himself, but finally I’m forced to stop as my back run a tree. Shen’s hands reach out to grab me, and I scream in fear as his fingers morph into claws.

                “NOOOOOO!” I close my eyes and scream as loudly as I can. Finally, I collapse onto the ground and begin to sob. It’s hopeless; nothing is supposed to be the way it is. I feel like I’m in a dream again, so I clench my hands into fists and start hitting myself as hard as I can.

                “Someone stop her!” says a woman. I freeze. Her voice sounds unfamiliar. I quickly scan my surroundings and notice that I’m in an extremely bright room with white walls. There’s people dressed in plain white coats standing all around me. Suddenly, I feel huge hands grab my wrists. I try to wriggle free, but they’re strength is overpowering. I lash out in fury.

                “Let go!” I shout, kicking my legs at the man who is trying to keep me together. But another pair of hands grabs onto my legs and I’m finally held down. My chest is rising quickly and I’m breathing heavily. Who are these people? And why was I being restrained?

                The same woman ignores me and says, “Subject 12 is reacting violently; bring in a sedative. We need to keep her heart rate down.” She motions to one of the men holding me. “Restrain her. Use the straps if you need to and don’t let her escape.”

“Escape? Why am I here? And what did you do with Shen?!” I demand. She glances at me when I mention Shen, and begins to jot down some more notes. Then she disappears into another room. 

                “Wait! Tell me what’s going on!” I yell after her, but two men strap me down to the hard bed. I am forced to stay still, but I continue to writhe and squirm in place, purposely giving them a hard time. Where am I? And where were Shen and the waterfall and the cave?”

                The door opens again and a group of people rush in with strange objects. One of them, holding a sharp-looking needle, was walking straight toward me. Before I can even prepare myself, the needle is shoved up my arm and I black out.

 

            When I finally gain consciousness again, I hear someone say, “Subject 12 seems to be experiencing hallucinations.” Subject 12? Is that what they’re calling me? My eyelids feel heavy, and I slowly try to open them. I’m still in the white room, but this time with more people. Their gloved hands are probing me with sharp utensils.

                I try to speak, but my speech sounds slurred. They probably drugged me. I think, so now I’m completely in their hands. I feel so vulnerable and exposed.

                “Subject 12, can you hear me?” The same woman from before is on my left, still jotting down notes. “I repeat, can you�'”

                “Yes…” I mutter. “My name�'”

                “Subject 12 is your name,” the woman responds automatically.

                “No I... My name is�'” I clear my throat, “My name is Raina,” I finally say.

                The woman lifts an eyebrow. “Raina you say? Hm…” she glances uncertainly at her partner beside her.

                “Shen…” I continue. “What did you do to him?”

            The woman gives me a long look. I take this moment to study her too. She looks tired, with dark circles under her eyes.

                “Raina,” she begins, “There is no Shen here. He’s not real.”

                Not…real? I stare at her, trying to understand. “My family?” I ask. She just shakes her head. What’s going on? Is she saying that Shen and my family don’t even exist? That I imagined the whole thing? “What… Where am I?”

                The woman looks unsure about whether or not she should respond.

            “Where am I?” I repeat sternly. “Tell me.”

                Finally, she seems to make up her mind and says, “You’re being held in a place called Area Nineteen, also known as Sarem. Your memories…they’re not real because we planted them in your mind. You’re here because of an experiment.”

                “What are you talking about? Stop lying! Shen is real and my name is Raina!” I yell as loudly as I can as I try to rip myself free of the restraints. Why can’t they just believe me? Tears flow from my eyes. I just want to go back to the real Shen, the one I knew, not the strange one from my dreams. I hear a loud beeping off to the side, and everyone around me starts to move in a panicked haze. All I hear are things like “Keep her heart rate down!” and “Her body temperature is rising too fast.” But I don’t care. Maybe this is just another dream. I feel a second needle dig into my arm again, and I black out once more.

 

                I seem to be floating in a sea of black liquid and I can’t breathe. The blackness is too thick. I feel suffocated. Suddenly I hear someone whisper, “Raina…” It sounds like Shen… Oh my god Shen, he’s here, I knew it. I knew that he wasn’t fake. I look around for him, but I don’t see anything except a tiny light. It looks so far, but something is telling me to go toward it.

“Subject 12…” I hear that woman’s voice again. “Subject 12, come back to us…”

No. I will not go back to you. You’re nothing but an illusion. I don’t want to go back to that scary white place full of people I don’t know. I face the tiny light again, and it feels a little closer to me this time. I begin to reach for it and as I’m stretching my arm out, I can hear Shen’s voice getting louder and louder.

 “Raina,” he’s saying, “Come on, I want to show you something.”

I smile, he always wants to show me something. The light is close enough for me to grab it now, and I reach for it one last time. Everything seems to fade out, and I’m back on the soft grass, back in the magical wonderland, and back in my world with Shen next to me.

                “I really don’t know,” I hear him saying, “One day I was exploring, and I just ended up here. Don’t you wish you could stay here forever?”

                “No,” I hear myself say. Was this really happening again?

                “Yeah, you’re right. I guess we can’t leave your sisters alone. Who’s gonna take care of them?” Shen ruffles my hair and gazes off into the distance, looking longingly at the stunning waterfall.

                “Actually, I change my mind,” I say, “I want to stay here forever.”

 

© 2013 yukiderp


Author's Note

yukiderp
I hope you enjoyed this as much as I enjoyed writing it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wonderful! I wish it was mine! You obviously have a wealth of talent to share with the world. Short stories like this are my favorite literary form to read (only PARTLY because of my busy work, school, band, Navy, etc., schedule...lol), and I hope you will post more of them. One day I'd love to find time to read the book you've posted straight through (reading piecemeal loses something).

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A very good story. I like the places you took me with your words. The description allow me to feel the journey and discover new places. I like the return to the center. Gave mystery to the story. Thank you for sharing the excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wonderful! I wish it was mine! You obviously have a wealth of talent to share with the world. Short stories like this are my favorite literary form to read (only PARTLY because of my busy work, school, band, Navy, etc., schedule...lol), and I hope you will post more of them. One day I'd love to find time to read the book you've posted straight through (reading piecemeal loses something).

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I absolutely loved it. o3o

Seriosuly, my eyes were glued to the screen. The plot was wonderful, and I was taken on a rollercoaster of an adventure. I like Raina's world better too. XD

BRAVO! :D

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

amazing story

Posted 12 Years Ago


You are gifted although that gift is molded through hard work :) Exceptionally, Super , Fantastically Good :D.

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Aly
I have no words to describe your writing. It is something amazing and beautiful. I hope you make it to the finals ^^

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
_
wowo this had great details and image use. uh! i see a movie production coming soon :P

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is a great story! It kept my attention from start to finish. I loved how you kept switching back and forth between the two scenes of the foreign world and Raina's familiar world with her best friend Shen. I couldn't tell which was reality and which was not though, hehe. Maybe, in fact, neither was reality and both were illusions, and there is still yet another world which is the true reality? It's an intriguing idea, hehe. ;) I was hooked the moment I started reading. The path of this story leaves readers wanting to read more. I really enjoyed reading it, great write! :D

-Mikayla W.

Posted 12 Years Ago


WOW I am very impressed, you know how to write a story.
Great imagery, you held my attention all the way through.
I genreally don't read stories, But I really enjoyed this write.
Awesome job!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

749 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 3, 2012
Last Updated on January 12, 2013
Tags: yukiderp raina short story

Author

yukiderp
yukiderp

CA



About
Hey my name is Yukina, and my favorite book is The Hunger Games. My favorite snack is ramen...and I love to cosplay. I love to write. But only stories, I'm not much of a poem person. You may .. more..

Writing
Regrets Regrets

A Story by yukiderp



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..