Solid Thoughts

Solid Thoughts

A Story by Zi
"

I am an Artist, first and foremost, be it in words, paint, or pixels.

"

I think about lots of things.  I think about what I see, hear, smell, feel, and taste.  I think about thinking.  I think of people and places, and of sunsets and full moons.  I think that my favorite thing to think about is the process of how my mind works.  I consider myself to be a fairly odd individual, but I am not ashamed.  In fact, I am proud of my quirks and eccentricities.

Before I begin drawing a picture of my mental processes, there are some things which should be explained directly.  I am, and always have been, “the strangest person” my friends have ever known (according to them).  I’m not sure of the exact reasoning, but I whole-heartedly agree with them.  I was the kid who drank balsamic vinegar, would try to eat a two-by-four with enough ketchup on it, thought he was a puppy for a year of his life, and became a self-proclaimed cowboy at the age of 13.  One of those could be the reason, but it’s probably just me.

To describe how my mind works, I have to start visually.  My mind is a field of light; a surface, initially barren, illuminated by an invisible source.  The surface itself seems white, blank, the reflected light obscuring any proper view.  Each thought I have is a solid, tangible, object placed upon the surface of my mind.  With the thought blocking the light, the true colors of the surface are exposed within the cast shadow.  These colors are ideas.  They are permanent markings on my mind.  They have always been there, undiscovered until the proper thought exposed them.  At times the light flickers in and out, and in that brief moment of darkness, the solid thoughts may disappear, but the colors of my ideas now shine in the light.  This process is ongoing, repeating, and very quick.  It reminds me of lightning striking sand and forming glass.  In a flash it’s all over, but it leaves something of great beauty in its wake.  That is a very solid thought, with a very long shadow.

I do have some odd thoughts.  Some of them resemble my “solid thought” analogy, some of them are a little scary, but they are who I am.  What are we, if not physical reactions to our thoughts?  I can honestly say that I live to think and think to live, and that my mind is the most valuable asset I possess.  I think that is true for us all.

© 2011 Zi


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It is very difficult to describe the thought process and cant be done without leaving some ambiguity. I enjoyed your analogy in this story. You have presented an interesting view of the mind from the perspective of someone who should know best in my opinion. I feel that the person who fits least in society and the "normal" order it the best person to critique it or explain it. Its difficult for those who fit in because they are constrained to the "normal" thinking patterns. Philosiphers do not become great for repeating the insights of others.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

213 Views
2 Reviews
Added on June 23, 2011
Last Updated on June 23, 2011

Author

Zi
Zi

Valley Stream, NY



About
Welcome to The Academy for Tortured Souls, I'll be your instructor... Well, that used to be me... I wrote the old bio when I first joined several years ago. I was an emotionally unstable teenager w.. more..

Writing
The Long Run The Long Run

A Poem by Zi


Pass me by Pass me by

A Poem by Zi


See Me See Me

A Poem by Zi