One Way Traffic

One Way Traffic

A Story by Zain Ali
"

A boy finds himself love struck with a girl, to whom he is no more than a friend

"

The car seemed like a dead place as it picked pace, hoping it to end as Draz drove it to my place, banging the door of the car in anger and rushed into my room where Dad stood still and just observed as to what I was up to. I lit up a f*g, and the lamp beside my bed acted as my thinking pod that very night. It was as if a scene of a movie was being shot, whereby I later realised that this is what real tragedies are all about or at least that is what my thought process at this point in time was. This is where the directors get lessons from and quite honestly make some money too.


It was one of those nights when even the scorching heat of the day trailed onto the later part of the night. It won’t bloody end no matter how much I wanted it to. Neither could I fall asleep because all those creepy things were circling in my mind. It’s strange how I keep on telling things without giving a proper background score. Well, get used to it because if you’re reading it for the first time you will be confused because it’s in my DNA to complex simple things up. As far as I recall, it was June the 26th a dark day in history when I talk about myself. It started on a great note, whereby I was all excited to be on my friends sister’s Mehendi, not because I wanted to attend it but the intention was to meet her and spend some quality time with her. This could be termed as one of the turning points in my career when it comes to love.


The extravagant venue, charming faces, hot dance floor and colorful dresses just lights up your night, but certainly that wasn’t the case with me. I saw her getting down from her car and it was such a restless sight for me that I rushed towards her to say Hi. Having said that I now realize while writing it down I should have said “Heyy” because saying “Hi” is like getting you friend zoned already. We met, talked, entered the venue together and suddenly my imaginative side comes in to play. Whereby, I start picturing myself as the “Groom” and her as my “Bride”. She had to pick up a few things and her hands were occupied so she asked me to have her cell phone for a while so that she can carry on with picking up the decorative material on the Mehendi.

 

To all those females who think I’m a misogynist, trust me these things can only be handled by you people. Well the event takes it shape and the dances start to pour in, we see some beautiful performances by the girls and as we speak a text message comes in, to ruin the day. Now you all will be wondering how a text message can ruin my day. Well it certainly did because it was received on her phone. I had the urge to open it up and read it though I tried myself to stop. But somehow that urge got me and I read the message. I was in a state of shock as what just happened. The interest in the dances was killed immediately. I went outside to cool myself down because I just didn’t know what I should do with it. 

Now I guess I was confused, whether to be mad at her? Or let it go and act as if nothing happened and bring it up someday else. But the emotions got the better of me and as expected I reacted accordingly.


These messages were from a guy to her, which complemented her dressing, her hairstyle and many more. No! Whatsapp wasn’t that common those days so I was still figuring out how this guy knows about everything. I then started to spy if he was in this Mehendi only. But luckily he wasn’t there. But the mystery stands it ground as to how this happened. To make it worst, I went on to the sent items and there I found a series of messages exchanged from her side as well. Cherry on top was, the exact message which was sent to me was forwarded to him as well. Man this got me standing in a no man’s land. I could’ve fainted because I thought this is getting serious than I thought. During this whole episode the dances are almost finished and people with their cunning eyes are focusing on to dinner tables as they wait for the dinner to be served. Oh my! What variety was there, but wait. Is it even worth discussing over here after what I have told you right now?


She comes to me and asks me how did she dance? The question is should I give an answer or shall I ignore. Maybe ignore wasn’t in my dictionary back then, and I just replied with that I didn’t see your dances, gave her phone back and went on to sit with my friends. It wasn’t a gesture of ignoring BTW instead it was an intention or shall I say an invitation for an argument. I knew I had made my life miserable after giving that invitation. Oh do you really think I would have gone and sit with my friends with that face. Not a chance! She immediately checked her phone and asked if I had read her messages. Now comes the phase where you are screwed and she has taken an edge in the argument. I somehow managed to cover it up by saying yes it blinked and I checked it. Many would have believed on that statement but she never did. Instead a few more questions were thrown at me and quite honestly I answered them because I knew I have lost the argument there. Imagine my situation over there, whereby I want to react but I can’t because I did something which in real life terms is not acceptable. Anyone reading out your messages is not acceptable to you and we all know that. Yes wives would disagree to this, but ma’am please don’t relate this scenario to your husband &wife relationship.


A whole lot of discussion was carried out there and then, I still haven’t spoken a word yet because I was on the back foot with my foul of the day. I whispered something, which I don’t exactly remember what it was, on which she said what I was murmuring about and if there is anything I should be saying it on her face. A tip to all the gentlemen out there, this always works. I got myself a chance to speak and I was quite content about it. I asked her as to who that guy was whom you’re sending out messages and she refused to tell me so, instead told me that who am I to question her. Keeping all things constant she was right at her place because we were just friends and I had no right to ask her that question, the problem was I assumed as if she was going out with me this whole time and I can question her over this. I realised all this quite after some time but not at the scene. Over there I insisted that she should tell me, who that guy was. Though she told me it was her cousin but still I couldn’t just buy that statement of hers. But now when I think of this scenario I blame myself to be an idiot because first of all I shouldn’t have checked her phone. Even if I did, I should have asked her about the guy because she was not dating me at that time so I had no right to ask.


I was quite heartbroken, because I loved this girl with all my heart and when a scene like this happens the Romeo suffers a setback from the situation and is clueless as to what needs to be done next. Days passed by like anything, gradually distances arise and a point comes where you no longer care about what’s going to happen, you are as carefree as a 2 year old little boy about his school. I now feel it better to leave things that way for a while, give a pause, enjoy being the real you.


 Distractions are a part of life, and the beauty of it is when it comes in to play at the perfect time when you need it the most. I would not call it luck but I guess it was the right time when a third party intruded and this time somehow it was in my favor. I was still in utter disappointment phase and this force was either sent to rescue me from that phase. It was Indu, a fun loving girl with everything you would want in a girl. Wavy hair, perfect curves, sexy lip color and a dazzling smile, it was a killer. Many were a victim of that. At first, I never noticed her that up-close. She was my batch mate. But the strangest of things happen when you aren’t even expecting them. A friend introduced me to her; we talked for a while together. I reached into my pocket to have a grip over my cell phone so I could ask for her number, and trust me the next thing which she asked me was my number. I just couldn’t stop laughing at that point in time. Well she asked me what was wrong in that, so I just gave her the background score and we cracked up like anything.


Becoming friends was easy, we used to like hanging out with each other. But, there are always some people who are either not like this change or else they are just jealous as to how he scored that chick altogether. To be honest, I never scored that because it was already hitched. Indu and I became really close, and later on she told me that she was already in a relationship. I had no means to disrupt that and make a new beginning altogether. As you all know, when the intensity is high, people tend to take some desperate measures.

 

© 2016 Zain Ali


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

432 Views
Added on October 19, 2016
Last Updated on October 19, 2016
Tags: love, romance, one sided love, tragedy

Author

Zain Ali
Zain Ali

Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates



About
When it comes to writing I mostly wrote Theatre Plays and scripts. I've never really attempted to write short stories or novels. But I decided after finding a older short story that I might as well gi.. more..

Writing