coffee shop

coffee shop

A Story by shelby williams
"

an old woman in a coffee shop

"

an old woman sits near me in a coffee shop, she has a walker pulled up to her table and i ponder her past. where is she from? what is on her mind? when was the day she felt she needed a walker. was it recommended to her or an independent desicion. does that walker provide the means for her to live longer or does it reinforce the fact that she is old and closer to the end. what part of her hurts the most? is she clear of mind of or in a fog from the medication she may or may not take? does her family love her truly or resent her for the burden she causes them? does she have a husband or has he passed? is her life better or worse without him? has she ever been married or is she considered an old spinster? what stories would she tell if i asked her? she now sits with a woman who appears to be her daughter. the elder woman devours a banana. her daughter sits across from her on a phone call laughing, no cackling. they are sharing a large slushy coffee treat. one treat two straws. the old woman has a brace on her wrist. did she fall and hurt herself? was she pushed down a small flight of stairs? her daughter is still on the phone. i am wearing my headphones thus unable to hear her conversation. oh wait the phone call has ended and they are now engrossed in conversation. a banana peel sits on the small round table in front of them. the old lady is wearing a watch. was it a gift from someone in her life subtly implying shes late most of the time or was is givin so she would remember to take her meds on time. along with the banana peel the table is now housing a few dirty napkins, a diet soda can, the paper from two straws. and a tablet the daughter has pulled from her bag. their table is messy. i have been caught staring at them and they are now stealing short looks at me every few moments. I have become uncomfortable. i have to get to work. my time at this coffee shop has come to an end. later ladies, enjoy las vegas.

© 2016 shelby williams


Author's Note

shelby williams
ignore grammar, it raw and needs better proof reading, im not even sure what it is, prob just shite

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting read, it is raw but it's headed in the right direction. Many feeling are expressed here.Keeps the reader interested and ready for more. Well done. Thanks, for sharing. Eva

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

98 Views
1 Review
Added on October 2, 2016
Last Updated on October 2, 2016
Tags: coffee shop, old woman

Author

shelby williams
shelby williams

About
trying to become a fulltime writer more..

Writing