Your Kind of Sunday

Your Kind of Sunday

A Poem by E.M. Lev

You should have seen the rain fall as the sun came up this morning,
    the perfect start to "your kind of Sunday"
Only without you.

All those heavy skies and fervid eyes you talk about
    seem to be your shadow, delayed.

The folks in the historic downtown squares you troll for hidden angels
    moved inside to sing their songs
    the four walls muffled them all, the ballads sounded different without you singing along.
Maybe now that I can see the view from both sides of my body
    I'm viewing everything at a distorted angle.

You should have seen the roads out here
    not a car for miles in a town known for it's traffic.
I don't think I could stand one of those jams without a little company,
    so maybe something out there knew.

I'm sure there'll be another day like this strange new year's calm
    when you get back.
It's never ever really been blue skies and parades for very long,
    this city needs quenching.

All I keep thinking about is the way
    your reflection looks when you take a picture through glass.
And how you should have seen the rain fall, that last time I looked you in the eye.

They always said you were better built for thunderstorms.
    You fair better in the calm chaos of the sky shattering,
I can see it in your brow.

I keep checking my watch to see if this month, by some sort of miracle,
    has suddenly passed me by.
But you should have seen me brave the weather by myself
    on "your kind of Sunday,"

and while everything seemed so different, Sugar,
    some things never will change.

I'll take a picture of the sky through the window in the front room
    and send it to you later.
I wouldn't want you to miss the storm.

© 2008 E.M. Lev


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wonderful sense of tone, i agree with Kortas, and such an odd sense of time in this too - - you present us, everything here, with that "delayed" feeling you mention so often. We don't actually see the rain, we never see the people in the moment/present of the poem, nor the skies (they're always in the past tense or future tense) and even the picture (which lends itself most to a certain moment captured in time) will be taken and sent later.
Its speaks to a strange sense of nostalgia, a limbo of sorts, the speaker here talking about a type of days in the past that you hope (though aren't sure) will come again . . . and maybe that has something to do with the person, "sugar", that the poem is directed to... are they gone and you hope, though aren't sure, they'll come again? Optimism and Realism, mixed with Nostalgia - it presents these great heavy mood where "everything at a distorted angle" and its all too lovely and fleeting like a child waiting to go outside and play, staring through the window - you hate the rain, but love watching it, and are too conflicted to care...

thanks for this,
g.

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is beautiful. I can't really find any fault in it. It's very lovely. Thank you for posting it! I love your writing style.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I like not knowing if she will return or not, because of the hope.
This is very well written..it expresses a great deal of emotion but never
really falls into a too sentimental state.
This is very fine work! W.k. recommended this poem. I am glad he did!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Your fine poem was forwarded by Emily.
I love the judicious use of "You should have seen."
It'sgrand when two people know each other like this
and then your waiting for the return but keeping
the presence with you.
"I keep checking my watch to see if this month, by some sort of miracle,
has suddenly passed me by."
This line says it all.
Wonderful!
JKC


Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

this poem is full of nostalgic sweetness, atleast for me.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thanks J for the send!
Cause yeah, wow the angles/angels/angles/angels.. This is like the inside looking out the inside looking in but not quite meeting in the middle. I cant work out wheather some one died or simply left, and was it him or her or both but lost in different places.. Or is it just one heck of a storm. No matter what it IS.. its great.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wonderfully written. I'm glad Emily sent me your way, this is some powerful writing. So brooding, dark, resentful, loving, remorseful, nostalgic, it's got so much. Either I know this feeling all too well, or your masterpiece inspires memories to resurface. Such the cocktail.

Quite wonderfully penned.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Outstanding write....
The power of not telling it all....dark...and mournful...with an underlying soft loving nostalgic tone.

please....pleasedo tell me the story behind this...

I see undying love... a smalltown church choir w/ amn empty spot...
a loss felt by many...I see the struggle to fet through the days....of mourning

If this....is NOT from personal experience...
you are one of the best writers i've come across on this cafe'
then again...if it is ...you still are !

Blesssssssssssss

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Your work has now been recommended by two writers whose work and opinion I value most highly. I knew this must be a remarkable piece before I ever opened it.

It has a beautiful conversational quality. Musings on a rainy day. Things that should be or would be said if he were here. Left me wondering a little what her kind of Sunday might be like.

This is just the sort of work a person can identify with and tuck back to read again and again. Amazing words.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
J
I love, love, love poems like this: filled with life, movement, melody, and philosophic twists. There is so much to dig up and admire here. Such lovely poetry, truly.
J

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is a wondeful piece, filled with lovely imagery, subtle, and the flow punctuated by the occasional alliteration, nothing to stop the story and image from unfolding. You have a talent for a thoughtful, considered voice; taking in the scenes of the day, the quiet ruminations, a kind of loneliness, but shared nevertheless in spirit. Personal, honest, true. I like the refrains, on your kind of Sunday, which at once reminded us of "you"/other and of time (Sunday). It tied the images. This is the stuff we aspire to write.

I'm glad w.k. sent this piece for me to read. Wonderful. Well done. Rob

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

530 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on February 17, 2008
Last Updated on February 17, 2008

Author

E.M. Lev
E.M. Lev

GA



About
Photography. Last.Fm I come from a time where the burning of trees was a crime, I lived by a sea where to be was a thing of true joy, My people were fair and had sky in their hair, Bu.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


I Am...... I Am......

A Poem by Bubo