Djabali and Andalu

Djabali and Andalu

A Story by bicadeideias
"

" The day I got lost was a hot day in May. " And so begins the adventure of Djabali, a lost wild boar piglet as he travels across Andalusia trying to find his way home. Based on a real- life event.

"

Djabali and Andalu by Corine Timmer (c)

Illustrated by Kristina Muñoz

The day I got lost was a hot day in May. I was only four months old. My mother had taken us to the river to cool off and roll in the mud. We were not afraid of water and sometimes swam in the shallower pools. 

We lived in a wonderful place in the southwest of Spain, with much space, few fences and plenty of food. We shared this habitat with many other creatures. Some came from beyond our wilderness, where it was crowded and confusing. Most of us had never been to such a place but my mother had told us about it. On a clear night, from the top of the hill, we could see the lights and hear the noises. 

Around midday, whilst we strolled back towards the shade of the old olive tree, I heard a strange noise. As nobody else noticed, I alone turned back towards the river. Upon arrival, I could not believe my eyes. A ship, much larger than anything I had ever seen was moving up river. Mesmerised, I had overlooked the extra high waves rolling towards me. Suddenly my feet were swept from under me. The strong current pulled me under water and rapidly carried me downstream. I swam and swam struggling to keep my head above water. After what seemed like hours, I managed to grab some reeds near the water´s edge and climb onto the river bank. 

Disoriented and tired, I sat there for some time. When I looked up I realised I was lost and alone. Despite my initial despair, I was curious and determined to return home. Expectantly I wandered along green fields and narrow roads, but did not see anything familiar. This land was flat and barren. I did spot a house but there was no one at home except the barking dog on a chain. We did not like dogs. They were usually in groups, together with the hunters. 

When the sun started to set, I decided to trot in the direction of the tree-line where I could hide in the bushes before nightfall. As I was getting very hungry, I needed to find something to eat. I had seen my mother dig her nose in the ground in what she called magic spots. When I got to the forest I did the same, but could not find any nuts or roots. 

Suddenly, I heard a shrieking noise above me. It was so loud I wanted to close my ears. When I looked up, I saw a group of birds in fiery discussion descending upon the trees. Magpies! Undoubtedly, these were no ordinary magpies; these had feathers in shades of blue ranging from navy to air-force to azure at the top. Though bossy, greedy and noisy, we all respected magpies. They were known for their intelligence and always warned other animals of approaching danger. 

© 2016 bicadeideias


Author's Note

bicadeideias
Do you like the cover of my book? Did you enjoy the text?
Please ignore spelling and punctuation. However comments about layout and grammar are welcome.Would love to receive your feedback.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

164 Views
Added on April 5, 2016
Last Updated on April 5, 2016
Tags: djabali-and-andalu, kids-books, childrens-books, bedtime-stories, dogs, piglets, spain, animal-adventure

Author

bicadeideias
bicadeideias

Algarve, Portugal



About
Hello. My name is Corine. Writer/Author Designer/Decorator Animal Lover and Occasional Activist.I love illustrated children´s stories and self-published my first story in 2015. Apart from that I.. more..

Writing