Amateurs to Professionals (The Journey) : Forum : Your Writing Tips & Courses

[reply] [quote]

Your Writing Tips & Courses

12 Years Ago

Post your writing tips on this thread (or make your own thread, I don't really care).

My writing tips:
-Always think of your story outline before you write and keep it in mind while writing. If you're writing in chapters, outline each chapter.
-Have a good logline for the story. One that catches the attention. The logline is the selling point.
-Don't be afraid to screw up. Your first draft is going to suck. Accept it and be prepared to revise.
-Don't trust your own judgement. Your judgement is really biased towards your own work. Let others review it.
-Welcome criticism (if you joined this group, you already do that)
-Dialog doesn't need to be artsy. Write dialog like people talking and read it aloud to see if it sounds awkward.
-In long dialog, interrupt with actions.
-If you're writing a screenplay, use Celtx to format:
-Don't be too serious. It'll ruin the fun. Being professional doesn't mean being snobby and stuck up. It just means you aspire to be the best writer you can be.
-Don't force yourself to write when you don't want to write. It'll be rushed and definitely won't be your best work. Get in a relaxed, stress-free mood (unless you're writing something that isn't plotted and you're only writing it to vent) and get in the mood to write, as you think about the world of your story.
-Don't stress the criticism. If you get a lot of criticism on your writing, work with it piece by piece instead of all at once. Working all at once could feel like a cluster-f*ck and it'll stress you out like "Wow, really? I have to do all that?"
[reply] [quote]

Re: Your Writing Tips & Courses

12 Years Ago

-If you have an idea but it's somewhere in the middle of your story (like, a battle scene or a dramatic scene, something like that) write THAT first, that way you don't lose what you wanted to write later, then build around it.
-Try listening to music while you write. If you're like me, you can't stand silence when you're trying to make things happen. But don't listen to anything too violent, especially if you're trying to write a solemn or sensitive kind of thing, otherwise your music will be reflected in what you're writing. (I like Owl City, but that's just me.)
-Sometimes you can't type all at once. That's fine! try hand-writing something before putting it up on the computer screen, it actually helps to see your work in your own handwriting before typing it all up.
[reply] [quote]

12 Years Ago

Editing has always been sort of a stressful thing and these lessons helped me out:

The whole Writing Tips & Tools course looks like it'd be helpful.
[reply] [quote]

12 Years Ago

Here's a dormant group I made where I put my writing lessons.
[reply] [quote]

12 Years Ago

-Write as much as inspiration allows you to. Don't push yourself to write more than the writing gods will allow you to because then it'll suck.
-Write as you want the story to be told.

[reply] [quote]

12 Years Ago

I was thinking of teaming up with professional writers to make a course on their journey to being professional. Each writer gets 1 lesson with their journey and tips. It'll almost be like an interview.

Or maybe a course on Editing With Criticism? Each lesson would be a different critique like: "Your dialog doesn't seem natural" or "Be more descriptive". I wouldn't be able to make it alone, so if anyone wants to collab on a course let me know.
[reply] [quote]

12 Years Ago

-If you're looking for inspiration but can't find any, I have a really fun way to help! Sometimes when I can't think of anything to write about, I'll just grab a pen and some paper and literally write my train of thought. Every single word or phrase that pops to mind goes straight onto the paper! And it's fun because, when you stop and read over what you've written, you'll probably laugh and say "Wow, where did THAT come from?" and boom! Instant list of inspiration!

-If I don't know the meaning of a word, I don't use a dictionary. :P they're not fun! Try using thesauruses or thesaurus.com. Lots of words that mean what you wanted to say, but just sound better by comparison.

-If you want to write something descriptive, but can't quite put it to words, pull up a picture of what you wanted to write about online. Then just look at it and think about what's in the picture, and maybe what colors or movements might go with it. Example: A lakeside at dawn. The purple sky, the still water, maybe a few trees in the foreground? Then just work on those three aspects bit by bit, word by word, writing what you see and what you imagine. You can always go back later and spruce up your word choices!

Hope I helped!
[reply] [quote]

12 Years Ago

-change where its is your writing, if your always inside go out, if your always here go there, change your surroundings. -If possible go to an area to write that is similar to one your trying to desribe, if your writing about a marketplace go to one and absorb it completely so your reader feels as if they are there as you describe it. - Audio, also if possible put music to the scene in your head as you write it, kinda like  a soundtrack to your writing, this helps me alot when I feel blank. - If you get bored do something else for a bit or you'll start writing boring. - meditate, be still, breathe deep and place yourself in the story, ask yourself what would make this interesting to me and how will I make it interesting to you? - Remember your audience, who is your target crowd, who will identify with this writing?
[reply] [quote]

12 Years Ago

-Sometimes you just can't write anything. Anything with a plot or a point, at any rate. That's actually okay! Really, it is! Try writing a totally pointless but funny poem or limerick, just something to make you smile. You'd be amazed at what it can do.

-Sometimes you can draw what you want to write about! You have potential if you just take the time to look for it! Draw a rough idea of what your character looks like, customize and personalize them it gives you ideas and hey! you can draw!

-If you're feeling stressed and it's like you can't write or you can't find any inspiration, just go to your window and look out at your neighborhood. What do you see? Do you see some people on the road, a bird in the sky, something in a tree? Take a minute to just take in what you see and how it makes you feel - not so uninspired now, are you?

[reply] [quote]

12 Years Ago

[reply] [quote]

12 Years Ago

-Brainstorm for ideas
-General ideas for beginning, middle and end
-Character ideas
-plan out the events
-Begin writing
-read
-rewrite
and keep rewriting or cut out some parts till it comes out the best way it can.
[reply] [quote]

12 Years Ago

-Writing's a way to be heard. Think of the pen, the pencil, or the keyboard as a personification of your own voice. Get your ideas through; believe it or not, they matter. Once you realize that, you find so much inspiration for writing, you actually can't log it all at once.