Concrete Angels : Forum : Finally Finished--Writing Chal..

Finally Finished--Writing Challenge 7

16 Years Ago

::drool::

Hello Friends,

Haha you probably won't recognize what Yira intended but after over a week of pulling my hair and getting stuck on writer's cramp (that's in the midst of trying to force writer's block btw!) I finally finished WC #7.

I am working on a memoir too; and its amazing how much I am seeing about my life for the first time. Its really weird to see all the red flags go up and this time I listen and I understand--does that happen to any of you?

Anyways my poem "Remember (the Flight of Scars)" is a take off on WC #7. Its not about one song but about the free concert at Altamont that featured such acts as Jefferson Airplane, the Stones and Santana (the Grateful Dead were on the venue but they walked off after seeing the Hell's Angel, who worked as security, get out of control). The concert was known for sex, drugs and rock n' roll--and tragically ended in the deaths of four people. My poem is about a troubled boy named "Lies" who grows up fantasizing about Altamont, and how the images he sees fuels the rage he has within. Lies grows up to be an abuser. The poem is about his girlfriend who considers her fate--and the legacy passed down to her Firstborn.

Seriously--when you are in a relationship, I have learned, it is important to consider the influences of a person's life. What do they speak about as memorable? Who were the adults or authority figures in their life, what impact did they have? How does the person speak of their childhood--experiences--and what they want you to know? If the person recalls many life events (or seems stuck on) that are violent, chaotic/dysfunctional, overly sexual or sexually inappropriate, or extremely immature, and/or criminal--you may need to reconsider your relationship with this person. That's a red flag. You are not meant to love everyone so please be careful.

Blessings, Lynn