The College Brew : Forum : Bitter

Bitter

9 Years Ago

Feel free to share your thoughts of all of the bitter parts of college life.

Re: Bitter

9 Years Ago

Here's one to start. In the first few weeks of the first semester back to school, you are sure to get a crap ton of e-mails recruiting you for this or that. Usually i'm a wallflower and getting me to join anything would be an attempt that would only get you showered with a million excuses. Despite my shyness, one e-mail stood out to me. It was an online culture magazine that pretty much nobody knew about. I went to the first meeting and found out real quick that the leader of it all was a tyrant. She had all these rules and specifications that needed to be met in order to post anything. EVERYTHING had to be run by her, except for blogs which she demanded once a week. She demanded articles and reviews and comic strips, etc.., but only the people who had been in her group the previous year actually got anything published. She took the first blog i ever wrote down and lectured about how "it wasn't what she was looking for". I wrote this blog post to praise a local theater group and i thought it was amazing, but she made it very clear that she did not. Further on in the semester, she recruited me to write a review about a performance that the school did. I stayed up until three in the morning writing it, e-mailed it to her, was told to follow the difficult process of saving the draft as unpublished and i waited anxiously for weeks. My review never got posted, but a review about the newest peppy music album was up in a heartbeat. The load got heavier in the semester and i didn't get a blog up every week. She kept pressing about it so i tried but my studies had to come first. She wanted us to blog over breaks which i informed her i would not have the time to do. This semester she wanted to know exactly when everyone was free so she could meet with us. I could not attend the first meeting which she made very clear would mean that i was kicked out. I decided not to protest because it dawned on me that none of the kids on campus even knew what this magazine was and nobody read it. Even the people that would did not have the chance to add their thoughts or opinions because she blocked all comments.

Re: Bitter

9 Years Ago

Damn! That's horrible! People like that really should not be in charge of magazines at all, even if its just college ones.If I'm honest, I think you'd be better off just staying out of it, especially if the character running it is, as you said, a Tyrant. If you really want to write blogs and stuff, I wonder if you've considered maybe even starting up your own magazine, say between yourself and some friends in your class. I know its now a bit clichéd, but you could also try starting a Youtube channel and do video blogs about stuff (just mind the pervs all over the place though). If you're artsy, there's always Deviantart as well, and they're now appreciating blog posts/journal entries.There's tons of stuff you can do, so don't limit yourself to that crappy mag that nobody reads anyway. Going by your writing, you're better than that. :)