The Review Club : Forum : Rob's discussion

Rob's discussion

16 Years Ago

This is the place to discuss any of Rob's pieces

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

From what I can gather: Rob=Cdnsurfer

Review posted for "Once upon a blue moon"

Wonderful piece if you haven't had the pleasure.

-norm

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Hey I reviewed this too but it isn't a review I'd claim for a point. Poetry is a weaker point of mine and I wouldn't know what to really advise. But it was a really good one.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Take the point. Glad you enjoyed it. Apparently, editors think I'm a poet ... ugh! But it keeps my mind occupied while I avoid actually writing fiction. Just taking a protracting break for awhile on the fiction work. Cheers! Rob

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Anytime you read an authors work you wonder what are the influences(at least I do). Was there any in this piece that you could share?

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Quote:
Originally posted by Cdnsurfer
Take the point. Glad you enjoyed it. Apparently, editors think I'm a poet ... ugh! But it keeps my mind occupied while I avoid actually writing fiction. Just taking a protracting break for awhile on the fiction work. Cheers! Rob

I'm actually impressed, being that I really like some poetry, but I don't really care enough about it to learn how to do it right. I'm alway impressed when someone does.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
Anytime you read an authors work you wonder what are the influences(at least I do). Was there any in this piece that you could share?

Well I've been writing poetry for about 6 months, nothing before since about 1990, but I've been reviewing and reading poetry for about a year around these sites. In the last few months I've been studying short works of fiction and poetry by reading lit journals, like the Paris Review. So, influences ... there are a few people here I've learned tons from just by reading their work and also reading the type of work that gets published. Otherwise, as I've been told, my style is purely my own. Which is always good. Formal foundation ... none. Anyways, again, thanks all for reading it.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Thanks Belle. I don't think there's anything structurally I need to do on Lilac Fest any more; it is done. It's floating out there looking for a home. We actually had Lilac Fest last weekend -- about 100,000 people attended this year on a beautiful Sunday, crowding about 14 city blocks (that's a pretty good turn out for a city of a million people). Good fun.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Hi all, if I haven't said it thanks all for your superb reviews on my pieces. It's always appreciated.

If you haven't, have a look at A Certain Message as I have about 2 weeks to re-submit but would like to send it back within the next week. Thanks.

Cheers! Rob

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Hey Kim and Brent. Thanks for the reviews on that piece. Playing around with style a bit on that piece, a la Cormac McCarthy, but haven't really thought out what I'm going to do with it. Thanks. Cheers! Rob

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Blue lobster

Is it really about the lobster or am I missing some underlying lesson like hey even if you got a huge birthmark on your face you are still special? (I'm not the poet guy but I always look for a deeper meaning in them)

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
Blue lobster

Is it really about the lobster or am I missing some underlying lesson like hey even if you got a huge birthmark on your face you are still special? (I'm not the poet guy but I always look for a deeper meaning in them)

In essence it's a social commentary, but in poetic forms I prefer lines or words with at least two meanings, sometimes consonant and sometimes dissonant. For me poetry and prose start out from the same source, the difference is you get to play with words (like sudoku or crosswords) in poetry more than in prose. In prose the image has to be clear and unambiguous. Both are storytelling.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Thanks Brent for the review on that scene. You'll probably see alot of that from me from now on. I'll be tossing up segments and pieces as they come to me, and be workshopping them here. So don't be surprised if you see scenes and segments from me instead of completed or near completed pieces. It seems to work best for me...attention span thing. But eventually I do wind up coming back to them to add and develop. Cheers! Rob

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Thanks Belle for the insightful review. I've been letting that piece marinate for awhile before I take it into the next scene. Cheers! Rob

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Thanks guys for all the help. I've appreciated the assistance from this invaluable group of writers. "Bean and Nothingness" has been picked up by The Arabesques Review for Vol 3, Issue 3. Now, go out and buy it. -- j/k Cheers! Rob

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Rob:

Congrats! That is wonderful.

Julie

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Quote:
Originally posted by Cdnsurfer
Thanks guys for all the help. I've appreciated the assistance from this invaluable group of writers. "Bean and Nothingness" has been picked up by The Arabesques Review for Vol 3, Issue 3. Now, go out and buy it. -- j/k Cheers! Rob

Rock on. Congradulations :)

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Thanks all. You guys have helped me so much I owe some serious beers and wings (well, maybe just beer). None of this would've been possible without all your selfless assistance.

Cheers! Rob

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Thanks Belle! I will do something with that frag. ;-)

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Ok, now that I'm back looking at my novel start with fresh eyes again, I'm going through everybody's comments. With distance from the work I have only one thing to say: YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

;-)

First Page first
Previous Page prev