Just Breath

Just Breath

A Story by HerBloodBank
"

This is not based on actual events. But if someone you know is dealing with this situation, speak up. You might save a life. Thank you and enjoy

"
"Did you hear what they said? That rock and roll is dead? Yeah it's like a zombie, it'll dig itself back up again!" I sang along to the radio, until my mom turned it off. "Hun,it's time for dinner," she said, with a smile. "I'll be there in a minute" I said, staring at the wall now. Without another word, my mom quietly went down the hall. With a sigh, I put down my brush that I had been using as a microphone, slipped on my slippers and slowly made my way to the dining room. There, Jeff and my baby sister prayed quietly. I sat in my chair and joined in their prayer. Dear Lord, I know I'm not really suppose to ask for much, but please let me have one dinner without Jeff yelling... Thank You I opened my eyes and started eating the mac and cheese on my plate. They were leftovers, but I didn't care. I was seriously hungry. "Rebecca!" Jeff yelled.I stopped and slowly lifted my eyes so they met his. "Yes, sir?" "Stop eating so fast. It's disgusting!" his eyes burned into mine. I nodded and slowly chewed my food, trying to prevent him from yelling at me again. When dinner was finished, I helped mom do the dishes. "Your report card came in..." mom said and I froze. I remember my teacher saying I had a sixtey-eight in her class. "Does Jeff know?" I asked, hesitantly, handing her a cup. "Not yet, but, I will have to tell him" "Mom, please do not do that!" I looked at her with distress. "He'll be wondering...." "Mom, please!"My mom didn't tell Jeff. I was happy. Last time my grades were low, Jeff thought it was neccessary to raise his fist. That night, I took a shower, then stared at myself in the mirror. I put on the radio and started singing. I brushed my long, brown hair, lip-syncing. Later, I put on my boxers and white tee, then crawled into bed. Before turning off the light, I said a prayer. Lord, please keep mama safe tonight. And I beg you, please keep me safe...Amen Tears flooded my eyes as I turned off the light. It was 12 a.m. when I heard heavy footsteps coming towards my room. "Please God" I whispered. I shut my eyes when the door opened. "Rebecca? I'm coming in" Jeff said, his voice husky. I heard him undo his belt and his zipper. Next thing I knew, his fat, sweaty body was on top of me. I felt his beer coated breath on my neck, as he eased into me. It was so much pain. I letteraly could not breathe. My eyes were blurred with tears, I wanted to scream but I knew I couldn't. I couldn't. Please God! Please! Why! The next morning I woke up to a huge headache. I felt dirty and I didn't want to leave the bed. I got up and went to the bathroom to take a shower. An hour later my mom came in. "Happy Birthday, baby," she hugged me tight, giving me a kiss on the head. I wonder if she knew.... "How does it feel to be 14? Any older?" she said "No.. I feel the same.." I smiled weakly. At school my friends wished me happy birthday. I wish I could tell them that there's nothiing happy about today. Images about last night was burned forever in my memory. My best friends, Ronald and Addie pulled me into a group hug. "The big 1-4!" exclaimed Addie. "Yeah, so are you coming over tonight, Beck?" ask Ron. "I'm not sure. Jeff didn't exactly give me an answer..." "Oh, well, we'll come over then" Ron puts his arms around me and we walked to math together. Addie had gym this hour. As we were walking, millions of things crossed my mind. But this one topic spilled out. "Ever think about running away?" I asked. "Not really... why?" "No reasong. I was just wondering. Does it ever get tough with just you and your mom?" "Well, yeah of course it gets tough, but it's nothing to run away from. What bothering you?" We were in front of the class now. "Nothing" I wasld into class,sitting in my seat next to the window. I wish I could tell Ron all about Jeff, but what will it bring?
At lunch I sat in regular seat. Earlier, my mom brought me a cupcake for lunch. That made my day a little better. I didn't want to mess this day up by going home. Ron sat down and starting eating his burger.
"Before I come, I have to grab my guitar" taking another bite.
"Why?" I licked some pink frosting off my pinky.
"Going to sing you 'Happy Birthday', hon" he smiled wide.
I turned red all over, "No, please" I whined. Ron shrugged and with one bite he finished his burger.
After school, Addie and I followed Ron to his car. 
"It's so cool your mom got this for your birthday! Why are you still in 9th grade?" asked Addie.
"Thought you knew, I stayed back in 5th" Ron said, with so much pride. We got in his car, me in the front, and i put in a CD.

I got home at four, they came in, talking loud. Jeff quickly came down the stairs and told us to be quiet.
"Lizzy is sleeping. Stay in the living room" he gave me that look that said, Don't tell anyone our secret.
I quietly went upstairs, and grabbed my iPod. When I came down, Ron was tuning his guitar, while Addie was looking at the family photos. I sat down next to Ron, and watched him. 
"My friend's coming over" he said, breaking the silence.
"Who?" I stared at his fingers.
"It's this new kid in town. His name is Sully, I've known him for a while, when I lived back in Cali"
"Oh.. okay" I was afraid. I didn't want some random guy at my house. Who knew how Jeff  was going to react? I didn't want to be such a prick so I let it slide. I guess I'm use to the punishment.
20 minutes later, someone knocked on the door. I opened it and it was some guy, I guess Sully. He looked kind of awkward. Tall, black hair, tan-ish skin, wearing a plaid shirt and ripped jeans. 
"Uh, is Ron here? I'm Sully" he said, shoving his hands in his pockets.
"Yeah, he's right there. Hi, I'm Beck" I waved slowly and let him in. I closed the door and saw that Sully took my spot. I sat in the chair across from them. It was pretty quiet until my mom came in with the cake. I was so happy, it was so pretty. I really didn't want to eat it. I didn't want to ruin this day.
Everyone gathered around the table, as I sat in the center. The cake was blue, with a Spongebob theme. Ron starting playing his guitar and singing 'Happy Birthday'. I couldn't stop blushing. I blew out the candles, wishing, KEEP MY FAMILY SAFE...
My mom, sister and Addie were clapping. Honestly, I didn't feel any difference. Nothing felt different. I knew everything will keep happening. I smiled when Ron hugged me and kissed my cheek.

My friends stayed until eleven. We had so much fun, eating, watching Star Wars, listening to Ron play and Addie's horrible singing. I really got to know Sully and he was really cool. He liked most of the music i listened and when we sitting together, watching the movie, he put his arm around me. I really didn't want them to go. I wish i could spend the night at Ron's. When I'm there I feel safe. They left, hugging me tight, except Sully.
"Don't drink and drive!" I exclaimed, then rolled my eyes, realizing how lame that was. I closed the door, and cleaned up the mess they left behind. I was in the kitchen watching the cups, when I felt his hands grip my waist. 
"Fourteen, huh? You know I like my women young..." his hands felt my chest. I bit my lip hard. He turned me around and forcefully placed my hand on his groin. I snatched it back, disgusted of what i felt. He punched me in the face, angry that I pulled back and refused. I put my hand over my mouth and screamed. Jeff gripped my wrist tight and shoved my hand down his pants. Tears turned in muffled sobs.
F**k you, Lord.

© 2012 HerBloodBank


Author's Note

HerBloodBank
Excuse the last sentence if I offended anyone. That is not my intention. And excuse the grammar, I wrote this two years ago. I know it's all over the place. Tell me what you think and share. Peace and Love, morelia.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I read the description just now, and I am so glad that this is not a true story. Well, not true for you anyway.

Through the entire story, I really felt bad for the main character, trapped inside her own mind, not being able to speak up about this. This is very well written, and I can feel a lot of emotion in this piece.

Might I suggest starting a new paragraph whenever someone new starts talking? It would improve the flow a bit. Other than that, this is a great story. The grammar isn't bad, I think you did a very good job with this.

The last line might offend some, but not me... :) I think, from this person's point of view, she has every right to say that. Great write, I enjoyed it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

The darkness and fear in this felt very real. I wouldn't apologize for the last sentence though. This is such a well written story, and if the last sentence is anybody's take away, it's not your problem to worry about them.
Keep writing. This a very emotive story.

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

It is well written. I could feel the pain, the sorrow in this piece. I can't exactly call it a lovely piece because of the topic it handles, but it conveys the emotions that are felt in abusive situations perfectly.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow. Amazing piece. Love it. (:

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I read the description just now, and I am so glad that this is not a true story. Well, not true for you anyway.

Through the entire story, I really felt bad for the main character, trapped inside her own mind, not being able to speak up about this. This is very well written, and I can feel a lot of emotion in this piece.

Might I suggest starting a new paragraph whenever someone new starts talking? It would improve the flow a bit. Other than that, this is a great story. The grammar isn't bad, I think you did a very good job with this.

The last line might offend some, but not me... :) I think, from this person's point of view, she has every right to say that. Great write, I enjoyed it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

286 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 13, 2012
Last Updated on July 13, 2012
Tags: drama

Author

HerBloodBank
HerBloodBank

Austin, TX



About
About Me: No Description Available Music: Indie (Bon Iver, Daughter, James Vincent McMorrow, Death Cab For Cutie, etc) Punk (The Germs, The Misfits, The Sex Pistols, The Romones, etc.) Rock and R.. more..

Writing
I Am I Am

A Poem by HerBloodBank



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Drips of Wisdom #10 Drips of Wisdom #10

A Chapter by Pax