Part One - Chapter Two

Part One - Chapter Two

A Chapter by Amber Eve Surdam

Lily Jacobson was in real trouble. Her date with her brother’s partner was in two hours, and she couldn't choose between the black and white dress and the blue and purple flowered one. She wanted to be classy, but at the same time, she needed to be sexy. She gazed at the time again. It was five o’clock. She had enough time to take a shower, do her hair and put on some make-up; well, she hoped that was enough time. She took a quick glance back at the dresses lying on her queen-sized bed and chewed on her lip. She then remembered a few minutes later that she was wasting time. She gave a heavy sigh and then laughed at herself. She finally decided on the black and white one. It was classy and sexy all in the same dress.

She had just gotten out of the shower when her cell phone started ringing. Dressed in a white fuzzy towel, she flung open the bathroom door and made a run for the phone. She touched the answer button on her phone screen and said, “Hello? Babe, I’m going to put you on speaker phone. Yeah. I got to finish getting dressed.” Lily touched the button and then tossed the phone on the bed.

A female voice emanated from the speaker. “You’re my best friend, Lily. I hope you know what you’re doing…” There was a slight pause, and then giggling came from the phone. “I’m just teasing you. I know how you can get so tense about certain things. Don’t worry.”

“I’m not worrying. Well, not a lot. But maybe just a little. Are you sure this is okay? I mean he’s my brother’s partner.”

“Girl, he’s hot and that’s all that matters.”

“No, I don’t think so. He has to have personality and �" why are we even talking about this?”

“Because you need to get it out.”

“I guess.”

“Are you going to invite him back to your place?”

“No! Babe, you don’t do that on a first date. And you know I promised my grandma that I wouldn't do anything.”

“Yeah, yeah. But you’re lucky you know. I know I've told you this so many times already, but I still can’t believe your grandma left you the house!”

“Babe, it’s been a couple months already. But it was nice of her, wasn't it.” Slight pause. “Hey, I can’t stay on long. I just got out of the shower.”

“Yeah, I get it. Well, call me when you get back from your hot and sexy date. I’m so jealous, Lily, if this man-toy doesn't fall for you, then he doesn't know what he’s missing. And remember, call me. Good luck, better hope you get a kiss!”

The phone call ended.

Lily couldn't decide if she wanted to smile or frown, so she had to go somewhere in between. She gripped her towel to her body and made her way back into the bathroom.

She received another phone call forty-five minutes before date-time. She dug through her purse and pulled out her cell phone. Recognizing the ring tone, she quickly answered the phone and said, “Hey, what’s up? No. I’m fine…Myles, please…okay, fine, give me a minute. I was trying to finish up so last minute touches. Let me put you on speaker phone…yeah, yeah. Just hold on.”

“Are you sure everything’s okay?”

“Myles, why wouldn't I be?”

“It’s just…nothing, I’m just glad you’re okay.”

“Just because you’re my older brother and we look nearly alike, doesn't mean I’m going to let you talk me out of this date. Wait �" don’t tell me, Derek’s having second thoughts?”

“What? Lily, will you calm down. This has nothing to do with that. I just wanted to check on you.”

Lily stopped fixing her mascara and looked down at the phone that lay on the sink. “Since when have you had to check on me? I’m not a little kid anymore, I am twenty-five. I am a grown woman, thank you very much.”

“You sound okay. Then I guess everything was �"”

“Everything was what? Are you sure everything’s all right on your end? Myles, I think you need to take a vacation.”

“Man, do I need one…hey, Lily. Derek told me to tell you, he’s on his way to pick you up. So be ready.”

“He’s there?”

“He was, but he just left. Do you want me to go catch him?”

“No. I was just curious to see what he was doing.”

“Nothing, he never does anything. He just sits around like a lump of butter…but Lily, are you sure nothing strange has happened today? Like anything out of the ordinary?”

“Nope, it’s been another boring day. No weird stuff here.”

“Good. But if anything does, call me okay.”

“If I say, okay, will you drop it?”

“I’m serious, Lily.”

She sighed, “Fine, I will.”

“Well, I better let you go, so you can finish getting ready. Remember call me if anything strange happens. Love you.

“Love you too.”

“See you later, little sister.”

Lily sighed and shook her head over that strange phone call. It was usual for Myles to never stop talking, but that conversation was weird. She looked into the mirror and glanced over her features: black curly hair and green eyes. She fixed a smudge of eye liner; and when she was finally satisfied, she left the bathroom and turned off the light.

 

“If you would please come this way, we have a table all ready for you,” the hostess said while pointing the way with the menus. She gave a big smile and began walking past a section of tables.

Lily gave a sigh and elbowed Derek in the ribs. She smiled at him and followed after the hostess. She glanced back and looked Derek over. He was wearing a gray suit with a black shirt and white tie. His black hair was brushed back, though a few strands refused to stay in place. She knew his gray-green eyes had to be moving restlessly. He was acting more alert than his usual agitated self since he had picked her up twenty minutes ago. She groaned, faced frontwards and followed the hostess around the corner.

“Here you are.” The hostess said with a polite smile. “A server should be with you soon.”

Lily hooked her purse on the chair. She waited for Derek. He pulled out his chair and sat.

“I hope everything is okay?” Lily asked.

“Hmm? Everything’s fine. I’m just preoccupied.”

“With what?”

He was silent.

“Can’t say?” Lily looked down at the menu and plastered on a smile. She looked back up at him and found that his grayish-green eyes were centered on her. “I’m just teasing you. I understand it’s work-related. So…” Smooth, Lily thought.

A young man walked up to the table, but slightly backed-up when Derek turned his cold glare on the server.

“H-hi, what w-would you like to drink?” He stuttered.

Lily gave him an enormous smile and replied, “I’ll have a sweet tea, and the same for my friend.”

The server ignored Derek and returned the smile. “I’ll be right back with the drinks.”

“What was that about?” Lily nearly shouted, but then quieted her voice when she noticed the stares she was receiving.

“Nothing.”

“Nothing? You nearly sent the server flying away with the look you gave him.”

Derek cleared his throat and hid a smile. “Sorry, I’m just tense…a cold case opened up today and I’m tense. Okay?”

“I’ll forgive you this time. Just try not to scare off everyone who comes up to the table or our food might go flying next.” Lily opened her menu and scanned through the items. “Everything looks good.”

Derek opened his menu and sat quietly as he glanced down.

The server returned with the drinks. He avoided eye-contact with Derek and kept his attention on Lily while he talked. “Hi, my name’s Josh, and I’ll be your server tonight. Our special today is the Angus beef steak with a side of lobster tail. Do you know what you’ll be having or should I give you a few more minutes?”

“I believe we’re ready,” Lily said before Derek. “I will be having the shrimp fettuccine. Can I add mushrooms and take out the tomatoes?”

“That’ll be fine. And for you, sir?”

“I’ll try the special. And for an appetizer we’ll have the artichoke dip.” Derek replied tightly.

The server took the menus and then hurried off.

Lily took a sip of tea and remained silent. She kept her attention on Derek’s profile; as usual his eyes were directed elsewhere. His eyes fixed suddenly on hers.

“So how’s my brother these days?” she asked, not knowing what else to talk about.

“Fine, he’s fine.”

“Uh-huh. Okay… how’s your cat?”

“My cat?”

“Myles told me you had one. Black and white with a grey tail.”

“Oh, he did, did he?” Derek sighed. “Well, my cat’s fine.”

“That’s good.” Lily clenched her hands underneath the table and forced a smile. She swore her eye was twitching.

“Is everything all right?”

“Yes, just grand.” Lily said with a tight smile.

“I see.”

“Yes, I bet you do.”

“Are you sure everything’s okay?”

“Yes, first my brother and now you? Everything’s fine.”

“What?” Derek asked; his eyes remained on her. She found that she liked it better when his eyes were moving.

“Well, I mean, Myles called asking me if everything was all right. Then he kept prodding me if anything weird has happened. And I kept telling him my day was normal.”

Still his eyes stayed on her. She felt her face grow warm under his gaze.

“You know it’s not nice to stare.”

He smiled and took a sip of his tea.

“Oh, look, here comes our appetizer.”



© 2015 Amber Eve Surdam


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The chapter was very good. I like the way you bring together real life and story.
Still his eyes stayed on her. She felt her face grow warm under his gaze.
“You know it’s not nice to stare.”
He smiled and took a sip of his tea.
“Oh, look, here comes our appetizer.”
The above lines were a perfect closure. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

213 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 11, 2015
Last Updated on January 11, 2015
Tags: Fantasy, Romance, Adventure, Mythology, Christianity, Fiction


Author

Amber Eve Surdam
Amber Eve Surdam

Bay Saint Louis, MS



About
I graduated in May 2014 with a BFA in Creative Writing and minors in Visuals Arts and Art History. I work as a Front Desk Representative in a hotel and casino. I love reading and writing. It's somethi.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Amber Eve Surdam



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..