Part One - Chapter Three

Part One - Chapter Three

A Chapter by Amber Eve Surdam

Derek did his best to relax but failed miserably during dinner. It took nerves sent from God to calm him down afterwards. When he arrived to pick Lily up, the only thing he wanted to do was carry her off and hide her. The possessiveness clawed at his insides. What did that damn Cherem want with Lily? His mind was in a jumble. He couldn't shake off that woman’s words from the hospital. Her voice continuously echoed through his mind. Jumping at shadows and noises, he felt no better than a rookie. Dinner had been a disaster; he didn't blame Lily if she refused to go out with him again. He really screwed up their first date, though she didn't seem too angry with him when he brought her home. Once everything was over, he swore he’d apologize for his behavior; but right now, he had a stake-out to concentrate on. And damn him, he couldn't stop thinking of Lily. Failure was not allowed. He refused to allow her to be taken away. Sitting outside of Lily’s house, in his car, he watched and waited for anything and everything. If he noticed any unusual details, he would make his move and charge inside. Five officers surrounded the house, waiting for his signal to move.

Derek leaned away from the steering wheel and yawned. He looked down at the digital clock. It was a quarter to midnight. Why was he so tired? He must be getting old. Derek smiled. Snoring filled the car. Derek glanced back in the rear view mirror at Myles and yawned again. His eyes were slowly closing. Damn, he was sleepy. Just as his eyes were about to close, the first light turned on. Derek grabbed for his cold coffee, took a gulp and then reached for the door.

Meow echoed through the house. Lily’s eyes opened. She lied awake in her bed waiting for the sound again. At first, she thought she was hearing noises, but when the sound echoed again, she kicked off the covers. Lily slid out of her bed and grabbed for the robe that lay on the chair next to her lamp. Pulling on her robe, she walked to her bedroom door. The wooden floor in the hall creaked under her feet. Lily felt along the wall and then switched on the light.

The meowing was louder now. Her hand trailed along the wall. She stepped into the living room and turned on the next light. She didn't see a cat. Lily moved further into the living room, past her grandmother’s couches and the TV. She waited for the next sound then ambled past the glass sliding doors and then stepped into the kitchen. The meowing came from behind her. Something cold touched the back of her neck. Alarm rushed through her, spinning around she saw nothing.

Meow.

She rubbed her arms, feeling the goose bumps on her skin. Lily noticed that the sliding door was cracked open.

A shadow stirred from behind the couch. She stepped closer and in the light she saw the head of a cat. She crouched down. “Hi, little guy. I guess you got through the sliding door. I don’t remember leaving the door opened…unless Myles stopped over.”

The cat meowed. Lily inched toward the shadow. She reached out her hand to pet the cat. The shadow morphed into a large round clump. A hand appeared in the light and caught her wrist. The shadow suddenly enlarged to where she found herself starring at a man with the face of a cat.

She screamed.

 

An icy chill flushed through his system when a piercing scream rang through the darkness. Derek flew across the yard and kicked open the front door. He reached for his pager when he stopped moving. Terror rushed over him when he caught a glimpse of the creature that held Lily over his shoulders. Swallowing, he willed his body to move. He wasn't sure how long he stood frozen staring at the thing that was walking toward the sliding door.

Derek’s eyes trailed over the cat-man. He wore a black and gray ancient-looking suit. A top hat rested on his head and a cane on his arm. The cat-man reached the door. Lily was flinging her arms and legs as she pounded her fists on his back. She frantically looked up, spotted Derek and then screamed his name.

Cursing his fear, Derek unhooked his gun from his belt and quickly pushed a button on his pager. He shoved a chair out of his way and jumped onto and over the couch. Derek shoved open the sliding door and sprinted outside, cocking his gun.

“Derek,” Lily screamed.

Derek looked around and saw that the cat-man had already reached the entrance to the woods. He heard the shouts of the officers from nearby.

“Give me a flashlight,” Derek shouted as he started running after the cat-man. Derek caught an incoming flashlight as he made his way across the yard.

Gun in hand, Derek switched on the flashlight and entered the woods. Lights suddenly turned on behind him. Derek pushed in between two trees as he forced his way into the woods. Shoving branches out of his way, the lights of the other officers began to fade. He heard Lily’s voice again as it echoed around the trees.

Derek’s heart pounded in his ears. Where was she? He directed the light through the trees as he kept running. He was going to lose her. Derek shoved another branch out of the way. The light reflected the disturbed air as the branch cascaded off. His shout of warning was too late; Derek ran right into the distorted area.

 

Lily Jacobson no longer heard Derek’s voice. She was alone, and she had no idea where this creature was taking her. She prayed out loud, hoping for a miracle. She was no longer fighting her captor. Her strength ran from her; exhausted she allowed the man with a cat’s face carry her to her doom. She believed that once dawn came she would no longer exist. Wherever her captor was taking her, she knew she would never see her brother, Myles or Derek again. She was on her way to meet death.

A carriage awaited them. The cat-man set her down on her feet and shoved her into the open door. She fell onto the floor and waited. He pointed at the seat, patiently waiting. Lily stared at the cushion for a second and then pulled herself off the floor. She sat on the cushion and waited. She told herself, even if she escaped, she had no idea where she was. In a robe and a pair of pajamas, she couldn't do much without any shoes. She accepted her fate.

The cat-man climbed in and sat on the cushion across from her, shutting the door behind him. Using his cane, he tapped on the roof. The carriage started in motion. The blinds to the windows were closed. Suddenly, the carriage was cast in dim light. A lamp, inside the carriage, flickered in the corner behind Lily.

She eyed the cat-man with fear. His face was in light and shadows. He still wore the top hat on his head. His eyes were directed at her.

“W-who are you?” Lily finally asked after a long period.

He cocked his head to the side and remained silent. His whiskers twitched and then he finally replied, “My name was once Lord Dalestrom, but after a great many years, a new name was given to me. I am now Mr. Alestair Westmire.”

Lily remained silent. She wasn't sure if she should say anything or converse with the creature. He could speak which was unusual. She hoped her hair didn't turn gray. Finally she opened her mouth and asked, “Where are you taking me?”

“To my home.”

“Why?”

“Because my master has wished for it. And now it is done.”

“But what does your master want with me?”

“I only receive his orders. I do not know.” Alestair crossed his left leg over his right and leaned back against the cushion. He propped his cane against the door.

Lily watched him for a moment and then asked, “Where is your home?”

Alestair smiled. “You would not know of it. Because it does not exist.”

“I don’t understand.”

“I am sure you wouldn't. We were wiped off the map a thousand years ago. In reality, we do not exist.”

“We?”

“Right now, we are traveling between worlds. Just look out your window and you will see.”

“We?”

“Right now, we are traveling between worlds. Just look out your window and you will see.”

Lily’s hands shook as she slowly unhooked the rope cord and slid open the curtain. She caught a glimpse of a black and white sky. She then looked down and saw a whirlpool-like crater. Lily let out a cry and jumped away from the window.

“Have a care and try not to rock the carriage too much,” Alestair advised. “If the road breaks too soon, we will meet our end. But I doubt it.”

“What do you mean?” Lily whispered.

“I mean if the carriage is rocked too much, then the path will break. It is made of a fragile glass that shatters from a great amount of weight.”

“What?” Lily shrieked.

“Don’t worry; the path has not broken yet. Now if something were to enter from the other world before the portal closed, then we have something to worry about.”

Lily let out a shuttered breath and curled into a ball. She hoped and prayed Derek did not follow her, because if he did then they would all surely die.

 

She gradually opened her eyes and then closed them. Had she fallen asleep? Her eyes flew open; she glanced around the carriage. A cat slept on the cushion across from her. Alestair was gone. A great panic claimed her; did they pass through that chasm? Lily pushed open the curtain and was amazed at the view the forest gave her. From her position in the carriage, she saw only the trees’ trunks. When she tried to glance up, she couldn't see any branches or leaves.

A shadow separated itself from one of the trunks and leaped toward the carriage. Lily screamed.

The cat, from the cushion, jumped onto her lap and placed its paws on her chest.

She kept her attention on the dog that ran toward the carriage. Glowing red eyes and white teeth kept her from closing the curtain. Caught in a trance, all she could do was scream.

“Close the curtain.”

The voice broke through the spell. Her fingers released the fabric, and it closed. The howling from the dog was silenced and the threat disappeared.

The cat soared away from her and back onto the cushion. Lily sunk back into the seat and closed her eyes.

“What was that thing?” Not expecting an answer, she took a deep breath.

“That was a black dog.”

Lily jumped in her seat.

“As I said before, my home does not exist. Everything that becomes either forgotten or unreal comes to life here.”

Lily stared wide-eyed at the cat curled in a ball. “Who-who…”

“I apologize for my appearance.”

“Alestair?”

“Yes.”

“Why are you a cat?”

“I don’t know if that is a question you should ask yet.”

“Could you at least tell me something?”

He exhaled. “I will only tell you a small piece. The rest you must figure out yourself. Understand?”

She nodded.

“My home once was a beautiful land. I cannot remember the name because it has been so very long. A curse was placed on my home. Since that day, we are animal by day and man at night. We must wear the mask of the animal we possess. It can be taken off, but at a price. I have never tried. But I have heard stories about those who have.”

“And?”

He shook his head. “That is all you’ll be getting out of me. As I said, you must figure out the extensity of this curse and ask why.”

“I don’t understand. Why me? Couldn't it have been someone else?”

“We tried three others before you. But they only made it so far. We must see if you will pass the same tests they undertook.”

“And if I fail?”

“Fail? That is no longer an option. You must be the one.”

She swallowed and huddled closer to the cushion. “Should I be warned of anything else that might pop out at me?”

His cat eyes met hers. “Are you referring to the black dog from earlier?”

“Yes. I mean…what is a black dog?”

“Something that you do not want to cross. You were lucky that we were in the carriage. If you had been outside, a curse of death would have been taken hold of you.”

“Death?”

“Every myth and legend that has been told comes to life. Though in your world, there were multiple ones told, and everyone happened to be true. With the black dog, they predict death. But as I said, we are safe inside the carriage.”

Lily’s hand went up to her throat.

“We will be arriving.”

“Arriving where?”

“To meet my master.”

Lily was silent as she waited. She didn't dare open the curtain again, so she kept her hands balled on her lap. Alestair jumped down onto the floor and then strode out just as the door opened. Lily took a deep breath, tied her robe together, and stepped out with bare feet.



© 2015 Amber Eve Surdam


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very good chapter. Some good conversation making the cat-man have life and form. I like the set-up of chapter. Slowly bringing the reader in and holding their attention. Thank you for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


This is the start to a really interesting story, one with quite interesting characters .Can't wait for the next chapter.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

339 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 11, 2015
Last Updated on January 11, 2015
Tags: Fantasy, Romance, Adventure, Mythology, Christianity, Fiction


Author

Amber Eve Surdam
Amber Eve Surdam

Bay Saint Louis, MS



About
I graduated in May 2014 with a BFA in Creative Writing and minors in Visuals Arts and Art History. I work as a Front Desk Representative in a hotel and casino. I love reading and writing. It's somethi.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Amber Eve Surdam



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Sunlight Sunlight

A Poem by iveltac