The Sorcerer-King

The Sorcerer-King

A Story by Albert Freeman
"

A short story

"

The Sorcerer-King

 

    The cobbled streets were black with the grime and filth of years of neglect, ruin, and decay. The wooden structures that housed the many businesses were falling apart systematically. Loose boards hung by single nails as the owners of shops glared at passersby, maliciously awaiting to catch anyone stealing from their shops.


    Missing shingles dotted the rooftops, bricks were lying among the debris and litter in the streets, presumably belonging to many of the chimneys that were barely fit to be recognized as remnants of a time long past. Clouds slowly crept across the pale gray sky, citizens huddled in what had been warm shelters, houses, and stables.


    Now most were missing walls, floors, and in some cases roofs. children stared with envious eyes as a contingent of soldier escorted a large cart piled high with meats vegetables, and fruits of every kind was taken to the sorcerer kings palace. the sky grew darker as the procession passed awaiting the sorcerers verdict,a long line of men stood outside the palace gates when the cart reached the palace it stopped the soldiers unloaded the cart of the rotted food and took it to the front of the line of hungry men, the sorcerer appeared he was in his late fifties he had a gray beard and mustache but was bald he was short quite round and his clothing was ill fitting.

 

    The sorcerer-king stared greedily at the cart for a moment and then rubbed his ample belly with a pleased smile. He hummed a tune as the soldiers finished unloading and nodded rather pleased to the Guard-Captain. The captain relaxed visibly and made a hand gesture which relaxed his men as well. The sorcerer-king noticed it, but decided to let it go as he ticked down tonights feast.

 

    "I'm very pleased, Martel," the sorcerer-king murmured looking back up the steps leading into the palace. "Since the program started I've not missed a fine meal at all!"

 

    "As I thought it would be, milord," Martel said. The giant Demon-Abysser towered over everyone and cast a long shadow that cowed all thoughts of protest. His sightless face moved over the crowd of men slowly before settling back upon the sorcerer-king.

 

    The sorcerer-king turned back to face the crowd of men and cast his voice, with the aid of his power, to reach all of the citizens of the city. "Good citizens of Marivar, it does my heart proud to see you give so generously to your kind and considerate king. I will not forget this kindness and if you keep it up on the night of the Shooting Star of Goliage I shall elevate one of you as I promised these several score years ago! Rejoice in your kindness and I shall enjoy what you bring me for tomorrow!"

 

    With his speech done, the sorcerer-king gestured to the captain to make sure the food was brought into the palace. He surveyed the anxious waiting men and raised an eyebrow before making his way back up the palace steps. By the time he made it to Martel's side he was weezing and sweating profusely.

 

    "The same as usual," he said to the demon. "I don't care which of the men it is, but make sure the people have an understanding of what can happen if things don't go well tomorrow." Not waiting for the demons bow, the sorcerer-king headed into the palace to prepare himself for the night.

 

****

 

    "Cocky b*****d, isn't he?" Rafe said from the window as he watched the sorcerer waddle back into the well kept palace.

 

    "Very," Kabrin said lazily as he polished his sword. He turned an eye to Gabriela and she smiled sharkishly at him in return.

 

    "I wish you two would stop mooning over each other."

 

    "Oh do be quiet, Marik," Gabriela said with a laugh. "I'd hardly call what we do mooning or romantic..."

 

    Rafe ignored the light banter going on and watched the demon walking towards the now cowering men hanging around the palace. It puzzled him why Jelemkr would call up such a powerful demon only to use him as a cheap ploy to cower these people. The immense power it was taking to maintain control of the demon had to be taxing to the old sorcerer, which could explain how he was letting himself go.

 

    "Are you done contemplating like a wise woman and ready to come up with a plan or not," Marik tossed out too Rafe. He set on a rickety chair and pawed through his packs to inventory his gear. He detested the damp weather of this area and the depressed looks upon the peoples faces. Of all the places they had been called too this was the most insulting to him. The Gods truly had a rotten sense of humor.

 

    "I thought we'd do as always," Rafe said moving away from the window. "I'd drive them crazy with an overcomplicated plan, Gabriela would give them a kiss, Kabrin would try to hit them with a blunt object...and you'd talk them to death via your constant moaning and groaning." He grinned at the outraged look upon Mariks bearded face.

 

    "Besides that of course is the approach of the Shooting Star three days hence. That would seem to me to be the best time to strike at Jelemkr. He'll be at his weakest when he tries to transfer his Being into the body of the person he chooses. That will be the best time to take on the demon as well. Jelemkr's will of him will also be weaker."

 

    Gabriela shrugged her slender shoulders. "It matters not too me. I'm here to do the will of the Goddess."

 

    Marik sneered, but refrained from saying anything. Gabriela was a true devout witness of the Goddess and she knew how to handle the throwing knives she carried.

 

    Kabrin frowned, but nodded along with the plan. He did not like the thought of the wizard and his pet demon continuing to take and kill until the star, but he trusted Rafes judgement. They had taken on enough of these cases to understand Rafe had a feel for when to strike and when to wait.

 

****

 

    "I hate skulking under a friggen' fool moon," Marik growled.

 

    "Keep your voice down, idiot!" Gabriela snapped. She turned to Rafe and rolled her eyes.

 

    Rafe grinned. He always felt a bounce before something big happened. It was the night of the shooting star and they had positioned themselves for an easy view of the gathered crowd before the palace steps. People waited in an eery silence for the sorcerer-king to appear. Rafe had a feeling the people didn't know what they had gotten themselves into, but waited with hope that one of their own could better them.

 

    "Why did we have to purchase these woolen robes? They itch!"

 

    Kabrin cuffed Marik gently on his head. "Everyone is wearing one, Marik. It's some type of ritual robe. Just be glad it's large enough that it hides all the gear you're carry."

 

    "I need it all," Marik said defensively. "I remember the last sorcerer! Damn near turned me into a bloody zombie."

 

    Rafe rolled his eyes. Marik always moaned that this wizard or that freed dead God wanted to turn him into the living dead. "Be quiet, Marik. Let's move in and mix with the crowd. You know which angles to take and not to do anything until the comet is at it's brightest arc." He looked his companions over carefully. "Don't be a hero." His eyes lingered the longest for Gabriela, who returned it with a playful smile.

 

    Rafe stopped himself from giving her a stern look and moved away to mingle into the crowd. Stern looks did nothing with Gabriela. Something about being a century older than him kept her from being cowed into commonsense. He looked towards the palace to see soldiers come out of it followed by Jelemkr and his demon. He pushed his way through the crowd and ignored the beaten and dazed looks upon the faces of the citizens. He had a feeling the Council would need to come in and help the people once this business ended.

 

    He made it to his position in the middle of the sorcerer giving his big speech about the kindness and givingness of the people and how he was now prepared to give them a reward that would awe and enrapture them. Rafe rolled his eyes and carefully checked to make sure all he needed was in place. He would be lying if he said this wasn't when he felt most alive. Killing b******s like Jelemkr simply made his day.

 

    "...and now the lucky person will be brought to me by Guard-Captain Tagin," Jelemkr concluded with a flourish.

 

    Rafe gave a thin smile at that. Fewkin' copper valin a dozen for these tin pots. He reached inside his robe to touch the amulet tied to a sacred rope chain around his neck and breath deeply. He could sense the others finding their positions and breathe in deeper. The comet was fast approaching and he watched as a helpless man was pulled from the crowd and marched up the steps.

 

    Rafe thanked vanity. By attempting to transfer himself into a male instead of a female, Jelemkr would leave himself open for a split second as he broke down a like will. Rafe heard the ritual of transfer begin to be chanted from the sorcerer and he felt the comet beginning to appear along with the gasps of wonder and fear from the crowd as they turned to watch the approaching comet. He smiled grimly as he felt Gabriela make her move towards the demon as Jelemkr began to glow a dark red.

 

    With another breath, Rafe felt himself rising into the air. The demon made his move towards Gabriela only to be met by a roar from Kabrin and his cursed blade. Rafe turned his senses to Jelemkr who stared at him in wonder, held in place as his soul began to unattach from the flesh. Marik's cry of 'Des ex Volte!' held the soldiers frozen to their spots.

 

    "Nooooo!" Jelemkr cried out. "Destroy them all, Martel!"

 

    Rafe smiled sadly for the sorcerer and said simply, "The God's have judged. Your time is up."

 

    He reached out with his hand and felt an astral force grip the soul of the sorcerer. He noticed absently the crowd breaking up as people fled in terror. To his left sparks flew as Kabrin's sword clashed with the damned blade of the demon and while Gabriela unleashed his purified daggers and chanted the song of the Goddess. He drew his hand back letting the astral hand grip Jelemkrs soul harder and with a sigh ripped his soul from the world.

 

    The demon roared and stared a promise into the eyes of Kabrin as it vanished back into the Shadow world. Kabrin shrugged his shoulders and caught a leaping Gabriela as she laughed and planted kisses.

 

    "How come I never get the girl?" Marik called out.

 

    Rafe sat his feet on the ground and withdrew his hand from the amulet. He turned to Marik and a frown before he grinned. "You're welcome to try to get her, but I wouldn't advise it."

 

 

© 2008 Albert Freeman


Author's Note

Albert Freeman
All reviews are welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow, What can I say? I know my story line, however I did not see it being able to be told so very differently. I do like how you took the initial beginning and made it your own. Very creative, very well written. Thank you for your submission.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I'm very impressed baby, this story is unique in my mind and I found the story line complete within itself, even though it seems to have been picked out like a chapter out of a longer story. my point being it can easily stand alone. I wonder if you intend to complete this or add to this story?? I loved it.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

280 Views
3 Reviews
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 27, 2008

Author

Albert Freeman
Albert Freeman

raymond, MS



About
I'm one of 5 boys born to my mother and father. My dad served 23 years in the Army. I served 6 years in the Air Force and enjoyed traveling to Korea, Japan, and Maryland while in. My interests vary, b.. more..

Writing