Old Tennis Shoes

Old Tennis Shoes

A Story by Analgesia

     A face in a diner, a stubble covered face, a sullen look, an unwashed smell: some men, they say, can't much stay put.  That's what they say "some men," an oddity, a break from the homogenous mixture of mens' thoughts.
    That man you see on the side of the road at night, he is marching to a broken drum.  His steps, however are at a familiar tempo, a rhythm you've beaten out before: the heart of man is made to run.  Yes, we all feel it, the urge to just stop.  Drop everything.   Walk.   Stalk.   Smile.   Hum.   Stager.   Flee.   See.   Reach.   Touch.   But mostly just run.  That shadow on the side of the road, the ghost of your own ambitions -a spector of your heart.  He runs, why then, can't you.
     You are anchored, secured, shackled to insecurity.  You fear the long walk, the unbeaten path.  You measure your strides with the footprints of those who came before you.  You wish to steal your feet from the road, and lock them away forever with the rest of your soul.  Yes, that man in the woods, feet dirty with the love of true things, he is a knight.  His mangey mane a badge of courage: courage you;  I, do not have.
 

© 2010 Analgesia


Author's Note

Analgesia
This is inspired by John Steinbeck's Cannery Row. The name, if ou haven't read the book, is a reference to a nickname for a bottle of cheap whiskey in the story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is powerful man, I like it.

You introduce this diner, these people, and with a few words - "sullen look"; "unwashed smell" - we know what you're talking about.

And then you talk about the "ghost of your ambitions" running free, when you're "chained to your insecurities". So this diner the reader's just left is a bit like the hum-drum pace of life and when you try to get out and to run away you can't because life has left you so insecure.

This is a very evocative prose-poem, it sounds like a saga reduced to a few lines.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is powerful man, I like it.

You introduce this diner, these people, and with a few words - "sullen look"; "unwashed smell" - we know what you're talking about.

And then you talk about the "ghost of your ambitions" running free, when you're "chained to your insecurities". So this diner the reader's just left is a bit like the hum-drum pace of life and when you try to get out and to run away you can't because life has left you so insecure.

This is a very evocative prose-poem, it sounds like a saga reduced to a few lines.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
LSS
Tyler,
This is a complete story in its own right; chapters and pages rolled into one short prose. So well written. Your self-comparison to Steinbeck is not off the mark. You too have a way of poignant delivery, a mastery of the imaginary words that express the image from the soul's eye. The intro is well placed, keep it.
Lar


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I'm quite curious as to how this turns out.

I like the introduction, although the word diner made me instantly think of arizona for some reason. Maybe that's just me.


More of a prologue than an introduction, but not in a frankenstein manner, moreso setting the scene like...oh, i cant find an appropriate example.


so far, so brilliant.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 10, 2009
Last Updated on March 23, 2010

Author

Analgesia
Analgesia

FL



About
I've settle into a routine: I'll stew in my own words for a few months, then, when there's been enough rumination I'll dispatch some sort of half cocked pile of context riddled with pretension and lov.. more..

Writing
Adam's Love Adam's Love

A Story by Analgesia


Monster Monster

A Story by Analgesia





Love Me Not
1986, Penny Herrera falls into the predatory clutches of Matt, an older man who has no other intention than to alter Pen
Beautiful author websites
Stop wasting time and money on Wix & Wordpress. Authors are creating beautiful websites with Myauthor.space FREE!