Souls in the Snow

Souls in the Snow

A Story by Alex Ware
"

Forming patterns of those that were once there.

"

Souls in the Snow

It was a thoroughly biting cold, that evening. The kind that would pierce through you, attack you ‘til you didn’t feel or know what you were anymore. Such was life.

 

Lucas had finally made it home. It was only right, now that the town had forgotten him. Walking listlessly through the streets, flakes and wisps of snow lit like fairies, ghosts in the streetlights. He marvelled at them, thinking more of what the place had been, who it had been, than his mother still waiting for him.

 

So many years. Without a trace, without a word, he’d had to go. Lucas walked past the old swing-set, the playground. If he looked just right at how the snow danced amongst the swings, he could see the ghosts of his childhood, he and his friend Sam playing.

 

He could remember the day the men came. A vision flashed of what had happened, how it happened. His friend, the sorbet of blood. Distant gunfire. Perhaps Lucas had gotten lucky after all. His own cold came now, later than then.

 

Lucas shivered violently, pushing his hands back into the sleeves of his overcoat, his old uniform. He’d been staring for so long that heavy snow began to weigh on him, memories dampened and frozen. Shaking them off, he shuffled onwards.

 

Before long, he reached the town square. Despite the blanketing snow rendering it comatose, he could recognise the same old life. Ghosts of street merchants, farmers markets and townspeople. Lucas could see them tending to their business, as the snow whipped him. It was here where he’d last seen his mother, her lovely soft face, telling him to be careful as always.

 

He was grateful in a way to have left, taken by the men, before having seen what they must have done here. Smashed glass, groaning bodies, furious flames. No heat was here now. A few lights on, those who had remained. His mother’s house, once his, looked just as he remembered it.

 

Lucas hesitated up the cobbled steps, grateful for the ice forcing a careful tread. Tenderly, his hand shook against the brass knocker, before grasping it and banging with determination. Moments passed, minutes.

 

He was beside himself at once, outside his own freezing body, looking in. The ancient door creaked open timidly, an embrace of light and warmth.

 

An elderly lady, hunched over slightly and wrapped in thick blankets, straightened her crooked back to lock eyes with him, suspicious and bewildered.

 

“Can I help you?” the voice croaked. Lucas saw some of the same warmth in her eyes that he’d remembered. Saw none of the recognition. He pushed out the lump in his throat.

 

“Y-yes. It’s...it’s me, Lucas.”

 

“Lucas? Hm, you know I used to have a son called Lucas. Bright, curious young boy he was.” She shivered, looked Lucas up and down. “He...you must know what happened to this town once. They got him.”

 

“Ma? It’s me, don’t you know that?” Lucas whined, fidgeting with something in his pocket.

 

She stood in the doorway, staring into space, not seeming to recognise his words. Stirring to, she glanced back up at him, finally recognising something. She was transfixed on that uniform.

 

“Yeah...those b******s got him. My friends, husband...my son. My son is gone, now.” She paused, glared at the dagger insignia on his uniform, then stabbed out with a biting cruelty: “They got him.”

 

“Ma, you’ve got to...” Lucas trailed off, not knowing what to say. In the end, he took it from his pocket. He could have considered getting his mother a nice gift, jewellery would have been fine, but not as powerful. Not as important as the little white data cartridge in Lucas’s left hand. He held it to his mother, staring at her intently.

 

“You’ve got to understand. They took me. I’ve taken something else.”

 

“Are..those..”

 

“The plans.”

 

She straightened up a little too quickly for herself, allowed herself to smile.

 

“For God’s sake Son get in here!” she cried, pulling him through the door. In a matter of seconds she’d clutched on to Lucas’s uniform and clawed the insignia from his chest, grabbed the cartridge, and hurled herself around his neck.

 

“My boy! I can’t believe it! All these years...”

 

The two stayed in their embrace forever. The hot sting of their shared tears, years lost between them, their emotions and souls recalibrated to one another.

 

Shortly, they released and faced one another. Lucas spoke first.

 

“I’ve got them Ma. They took me away, forced me to enlist, I couldn’t tell you. Finally I worked my way up. All their new technology, their every move, if we get this to the right people...”

 

“Calm down Lucas! You always were over-excitable. Don’t you see, I’m just glad you’re still alive! It’s been lonely here, as you can imagine. My goodness, where do we start? I’ll get some tea...”

 

She scuffled off in a hurry. Lucas looked around him, the warmth of his old home had remained. At once he took a breath, and for the first time in twenty years, allowed himself to relax and be himself, the boy he’d been twenty years ago. He’d become someone else since, someone obsessed with war and fire. Left his soul behind, was overwhelmed and overjoyed to find it still here in the old red brickwork, the now-worn knick-knacks and a family of furniture that refused to match.

 

Lucas had his plans, but his mother had her priorities right as always. Unlike the souls in the snow, it was amazing that he was still alive.

 

© 2017 Alex Ware


Author's Note

Alex Ware
Written to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7EVCuK7ZqM

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a gripping tale, told very well. I was hooked and held down all the way through. One little thing, if you don't mind my saying, is that his mother's transition from a dull state to excited believer seems a bit too fast. That's just my opinion, for what it may be worth.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Alex Ware

6 Years Ago

Hi, thanks for the review! Yeah it's a bit of a sudden change, I nearly went the other way and had n.. read more



Reviews

This is a gripping tale, told very well. I was hooked and held down all the way through. One little thing, if you don't mind my saying, is that his mother's transition from a dull state to excited believer seems a bit too fast. That's just my opinion, for what it may be worth.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Alex Ware

6 Years Ago

Hi, thanks for the review! Yeah it's a bit of a sudden change, I nearly went the other way and had n.. read more
Very well written but I'm still trying to work out what you meant by 'the plans' What were they for?
Maybe I missed something. Thank you Alex.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Alex Ware

6 Years Ago

Hi, thanks for the review. Yeah, it is vague, I wanted something that would bring a change in affect.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

291 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 30, 2017
Last Updated on November 30, 2017

Author

Alex Ware
Alex Ware

Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom



About
Hi all I'm an I.T professional and student living in Oxford who enjoyed writing when I was younger, and want to explore those abilities again. I'd love to work towards collections of longer stor.. more..

Writing
The Lookout The Lookout

A Story by Alex Ware


Missing Link Missing Link

A Story by Alex Ware



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Roots Roots

A Poem by Chris Shaw