Rosabelle

Rosabelle

A Story by Stan Lee
"

WIP

"

Rosabelle hits the snooze button on her alarm. She rolls over into her boyfriends arms and closes her eyes. But just as she is about to fall back asleep her alarm shrills again. 'I dont want to get up today,' she moans. 'I want to sleep.'

'Okay,' says her boyfriend, 'Sweet dreams,' and he kisses her head.

She punches his arm sleepily 'Don't be silly. I have to go to work. '

But she hits the snooze again.


Five minutes pass.

The alarm beeps wearily.

She groans again and rubs her face against his chest. 'I don't want to go to worrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrk.'

'Okay,' says her boyfriend, 'Sweet dreams,' and he kisses her head.

She punches him grumpily. 'Don't be silly.'

Sitting up on the side of the bed she rubs her eyes. 'I wish I didn't have to go. I wish you were the boss,' she says.

 

Rosabelle gets home from work at six. 'F**k I had a bad day.'

'F**k,' repeats her boyfriend. 'You don't like me cursing but you can?'

'That's different!' she yells angrily. 'I'm swearing because I'm angry. You swear because you like it.'

She storms off to the bedroom and cries. He follows her in and sits next to her licking the tears that stream down her face. 'Don't cry,' he whispers.

'Don't boss me!' she says angrily pushing him away.

'Okay,' he says and he kisses her head and cuddles her instead.

 

Rosabelle opens up her laptop after dinner. 'I don't want to study,' she sighs. 'I'm too tired.'

'Okay,' says her boyfriend, 'Sweet dreams,' and he kisses her head.

She leans over and bites his arm  softly. 'Don't be silly. I have to study. '

'Okay,' says her boyfriend, and he kisses her head.

'I wish you were the boss,' she says. 'I wish I didn't have to study.'

'Me too,' he says and he kisses her head and cuddles her against his chest where she falls asleep in less than a minute.

 

 

 

 

© 2017 Stan Lee


Author's Note

Stan Lee
Something that came to mind after reading mondaine.
Bit rubbish and wafflish but I thought I'd share anyway.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
A very relatable story......

My first impression is that this poor girl is working way too hard and despite his moments of slight affection, her boyfriend seems way too chilled to truly bother with her concerns. It is all well and good to give a hug and kiss when someone is under duress, but sometimes it takes just a little more than that. Real love and concern constitutes a deeper level of care and tenderness.

This is a different type of story to your usual work. A kind of day in the life piece, where life is not all wine and roses. And you captured that essence perfectly.

Well written as always.



Posted 6 Years Ago


Stan Lee

6 Years Ago

You're right of course. It's a weird, different idea I scribbled down and decided to post even thoug.. read more
.

6 Years Ago

No idea. We are even at present. Just maintain tit for tat i suppose. I have a new one coming but it.. read more
Sweet indeed. Flows nicely without losing the touch of reality. Well written!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Stan Lee

6 Years Ago

Thank you for your review Zoe. I appreciate your words. :)
Zoya

6 Years Ago

No problem
Sweet and a testament to a loving relationship in a real world setting.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Stan Lee

6 Years Ago

Thanks for your review Shannon. :) I'm glad you thought it sweet and realistic.
Very cute. Very sweet. In these sort of situations, I'm sure many of us would want to be like her boyfriend. We would love for our sweethearts to not have to stress about so much, but unfortunately, they have to. Though to an extent, that would be very unhealthy for said sweethearts' lives. We would be enabling them to not do important things. Sometimes love isn't protecting people from the world, but helping them cope with it. I love how much realism and unspokenness exists in this story. Short and seemingly simple, but surprisingly deep when I think about it.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Stan Lee

6 Years Ago

Thank you very much for your review Clifford. Your words mean a lot especially that you found it dee.. read more
i like reading about these two characters' relationship. Rosabelle seems to be conflicted with several things (don't want to get up but then gets up; doesn't want to work but then works; doesn't like bad language but uses it herself; doesn't want to study but then studies). it reminded me of some quote that is something like "life is 90 percent maintenance." and then at the end of the story it seems like she got what she wanted: to cuddle and fall asleep with her boyfriend.

what's interesting to me about the boyfriend is that on everything but the cursing he says "okay," as if he has tried to respond in other ways to be supportive but saying "okay" is the only thing that works (and he doesn't get yelled at for) and it maintains their relationship. funny how he hasn't learned to say that regarding cursing though! i somehow think that if he was the boss he wouldn't tell her "okay," he'd tell her to go to work!

it was a cute story. i enjoyed reading this. it put a smile on my face.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Stan Lee

6 Years Ago

Mondaine. Thank you for your interesting review. I'm glad you enjoyed it and that it made you smile... read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

438 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 18, 2017
Last Updated on May 20, 2017

Author

Stan Lee
Stan Lee

About
I've turned RRs off for now because I'm really behind. I have 50 to do! Hope to get to them... eventually :) “If only you could sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; ho.. more..

Writing
The Companion The Companion

A Story by Stan Lee