Monday

Monday

A Poem by Anima Inspired

 

Trinkets of our tattered love
lay scattered across a room too dark
to make out anything more than shadows,
where lines are drawn in the sand
and yet remain invisible, taunting me
with their epic insignificance.
 
It’s been three days since my footsteps
have led any farther than the kitchen,
ill-stocked for times like these,
and the bathroom, where my mirror and I
play a constant game of hide-and-seek.
 
I’m afraid to see my own face,
salt-scalded and stained with disillusionments;
frightened by my own eyes, the dull
sockets of a stranger staring through me
as though I’m nothing more than an apparition.
 
Tomorrow is dawning like a broken record,
skipping across the sky in shades too pale to name,
and I think briefly about escaping,
shelving my heartache for an hour, for a day,
 
but all I can manage is a moment’s glance
out of a window smudged with forgotten fingerprints,
before dragging myself like a too full suitcase
back to the twilight of a room
drenched in the stillness of waning memories. 

© 2008 Anima Inspired


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This one seems to remind me of sentiments contained in Kate Chopin's works, and by that I mean that there is a conveyance of imprisonment in a discontented situation that begs and cries for liberation and/or redemption. Though there is a definite distinction between the discontent contained in your work and Chopin's since she was speaking more about issues that pertained only to women, and in your poem, just about anyone can feel these emotions. But the idea of being imprisoned in drab emptiness is the same in a way. But unlike Chopin who tried to show what should be, you're showing how it really is. That's more effective, that it is. Showing the pain and longing and the emptiness within one soul is far more powerful than showing what that soul could be containing...if that makes any sense. There is an obvious lack of hope contained within the words, and that sort of intensifies the reaction to the negative or downtrodden state of the poem itself.
The language that you use in this poem only makes it all the better. =)

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A vivid picture of life.
You have created a theater where the events of your life are displayed again and again
through the very skilled use of words.
Enjoyed reading.
Thanks for sharing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
MAC
what a wonderful blend of darkness and hope. not to mention your ability to write this to perfection. excellent!

Posted 12 Years Ago


beautiful... nothing more to say - took my breath away

Posted 14 Years Ago


this is an amazingly skilled piece of writing. the mood is set and sustained beautifully throughout the poem. the feeling expressed are unmistakeable. your word choice and metaphors are perfect. i'm extremely impressed.

Posted 14 Years Ago


There were many lines in your poem that I loved! Your a great poet and I look forward to reading more of your work
I loved the line.........."frightened by my own eyes, the dull sockets of a stranger staring through me"
Descriptions make us relate and your poem made me see sadness in all that lies in your world.

Well I hope your better now. Thanks for sharing your world.

Kelley

Posted 15 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

snap snap!

impressive write... especially stanza 3, brilliant word choice.

You certianly captured the pain of a recent break up, or the loss of a loved one... theres a few ways this could be intrepreted bu that only adds to its identifiabilty.

I will certianly be reading more of your works

much love n' respect

-Lalli

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Fantastic write! Very descriptive and I can feel what you're going through. Contemporary, but stylish and passionate! I really enjoyed the piece!

I'm afraid to see my own face,
salt-scalded and stained with disillusionments;
frightened by my own eyes, the dull
sockets of a stranger staring through me
as though I'm nothing more than an apparition.

I had great visuals with this stanza! Your writing is very special!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow! You can write, i like this, beautiful i love the imagery you have created.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I've been away from Writerscafe for a while... sure I still check in but I haven't been involved like I wish I could be. I have to say that I miss your writings. Perhaps missed at first, but what I found is a great title here, using "Monday". It is a day of reflection and fits well with the painting you've done here.

I would like to subcribe to your brain, just to fill me with the thoughts of your muse. How much do I owe you?

Thanks for sharing,
Gordon

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a beautiful piece. I really like it. I could see every bit of it... Very vivid. Good job...

Posted 15 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1076 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on November 13, 2008

Author

Anima Inspired
Anima Inspired

Sunny California



About
RECENT NEWS: I'm proud to say that two of my pieces "The City" (a collection of Haiku) and "Jazz" will be featured in the Boston Literary Magazine's Fall issue. It's a great journal with very respon.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..