The Pursuit of Misery

The Pursuit of Misery

A Story by Apebble
"

A story of how guilt can taint your life, even permanately.

"

Hey all. It's me again...you remember me? I know you've seen me around town; I'm that guy always staring at the floor, kicking the little pebbles in my path just to entertain myself. I'm the guy you saw lurking in the corner looking for the next someone to ask me how I was doing. I'm the one you hear crying next door. Yeah, you remember me now, right?

Ok, good! I was hoping I was able to be remembered in some way, even though this isn't that preferable. I've heard you chuckle to your friends about how “unsocial” I am. Well, I'd just like to teach you how I grew to become this way.

It started many years ago, long before I met any of you, or any of you knew who I was. Long before life had placed its branding seal of pain on my life. Yes, this is long ago, very long, long ago. Before everything went down, I was just like any other happy and joyous child: clueless of life's cruelties, blind of the hate pointed at competitors, and naïve of life's little tricks and games.

So let’s begin, shall we? Very well:

This all started 18 years ago. I was 14 years old at the time, having strong aspirations to be a Medical Doctor. I would go about my daily life, see my friends at school, shake the teachers' hand and be on my way back home. I even went out with some of my friends after school. We would wander everywhere and anywhere we could or wanted.

I remember this one time. My best friend, Laura, decided to wander out into the forest. She and I had gone into the forest before, but we had always stuck to the trail, too fearful to wander off of its distinct pathway. That changed when we tested the waters on that late August evening.

As the path headed left Laura had her wry smile on and slyly said, “Hey, let’s head out to the lake.” 

I replied, “But, that takes us off the path, what if we can't find our way back?”

“Oh stop worryin'. Where's your spirit of Adventure!? We'll be just fine, I promise,” argued Laura.

So I believed her, in all my naivety. I told her I'd go. I agreed to get off the path and follow into the dark forest…the chilled, dark, ominous August forest.

Ten minutes in, I found I was enjoying myself very much, and it appeared she was enjoying herself the same. After over an hour of this: climbing rocks, jumping streams, scaling trees, and crawling over what some may consider small mountains, we finally made it to the lake. Once we arrived we stripped down into our underwear and hopped in. We swam and played for countless hours, until we heard someone off in the distance.

There were houses back in the woods, of course, but we were scrawny 14 year old kids. Any sound when you are alone is scary as a kid. We scurried out of the water as fast as possible, just like a mouse hiding from a cat. We both hid behind a rock next to the lake, occasionally peeking out like a boy peeping into a room he's been shut out of.

Oh we were curious alright, and just as this climax came to an end, the sound we had heard peered around the rock. Laura and I both shrieked in exact synchronization, and soon a deep calmness came over us.

“Son! I've been searching for you for hours! You had your mother and I worried sick, and here you are half-naked with a girl in the forest lake? How inconsiderate can you possibly be?!” exclaimed my father.

In an effort to rationalize my actions and nerf the situation I relied, “Dad, I was only having a little fun with my frien-”...

He would hear none of it. He said we would wait for Laura's parents to make it and we would head off. They arrived in a half hour and I was forced to give an un-felt and unjustified apology. My father and I then headed off. He grabbed me by the back of the neck and dragged me back to the house.

*****

When we got back home, my mother was on the porch waiting. You could see her eyes were red from extensive crying and worrying. I couldn't bear to look at her face; all it did was cause an unending pit in my stomach. She ran and hugged me, quickly followed by a smack to the face. I took it like a man would, no tears shed...not a single drop.

She told me, “I will always love you. There is absolutely nothing that can change that.”

I was sent to my room, forbidden to come out except for school. I was taken off the buses, and my mother decided to take time off her job to pick me up daily, to make SURE I was going straight back home.

My father every night told me, “Son, never go into the deep forests. It is dangerous, both by the elements and by the people.” 

I simply told him I understood and shrugged off his advice and headed to bed. At night I would tell myself how unreasonable they are being. How cruel these people are. I would repeatedly say that I hated them, making sure it wasn't in their earshot. I didn't mean any of it, but every teenager mistakes petty anger for hate. 

This went on for two months, with one more month in the punishment.

*****

I was curled up in bed, trying to cure my boredom with sleep. It was working, until I heard this tapping sound, then a cracking sound. It was Laura throwing rocks at my window. At first I tried to ignore her, pretend I couldn't hear it. That proved ineffective after the next 10 minutes of repeated taps and cracks.

I got up, and lifted the window. Unlucky as I could be, a rock hit me square in the forehead. Laura was unable to contain her laughter. We were both in tears, her from laughing and I for getting pelted with rocks.

I asked her what she wanted and she only gave a blank stare, as if she expected me to already know. I told her I had no idea what I was supposed to do, and she just sighed and gave a darting look toward the forest. She wanted to go back.
Hesitatingly, I decided I would go. I told her to come back the next night and I would be ready. So she left, and I walked back to my bed and got snug in the covers and fell asleep.

At 9:00 A.M my mother came into the room and woke me up. She said she needed me to help clean the kitchen. Still tired from the interaction I had with Laura, I slowly crawled out of bed and began to help clean. As I cleaned off the eggs my mother had made earlier for her breakfast, I stumbled and dropped the pan.

My mother screamed when the pot clashed on the floor, then proceeded to ask if I was ok. I nodded, and started back to my cleaning.

“So, how did you sleep son?” my mother asked.

“Fine, I guess...I'm still a bit tired.”

“I was thinking, y'know, about your punishment. I know I said two months, but I decided to let you off a month early because you have behaved so well the recent weeks.”

This struck me near speechless. All I could do was give a shaky “Thanks” to my mother, then continue on with cleaning in silence.

*****

With my new freedom, I decided to head out to see a new movie with my friend Jeremy. I had wanted to see the movie for months, and was depressed that I was going to be grounded while it was out. Now that I could go, I jumped at the opportunity.

When we arrived at the theatre, Jeremy and I ran into Laura. She was going to see some chic-flick with one of her friends, as usual. As we passed her by, she nudged me and asked if we were still on for the night. I nodded back, and she gave a flirting wink back at me and held her hand up like a 'W'. Jeremy wouldn't let it go for the rest of the day. It was quite the irritant.

*****

Now near midnight, I stood by my window watching for Laura. An hour passed. Nothing. Another hour. Not a sound. Now another hour making 3 in the morning, still nothing. Finally, about 20 minutes later she arrived.

I quickly, yet silently, tip-toed through the house and out the back door and began circling toward Laura.

I asked her what took so long, and she just gave me a puzzled look.

“I told you 3 o'clock at the movies. I swear sometimes you are so blind to the most blatant things.” sniped Laura.

“When would you have told me the time? All you did was ask if we were still on, and then winked at me and made a 'W' with your hand.”

“You idiot...why would I make a W? I meant three. Like, one, two, three fingers, for 3 o'clock? Make sense now?” giggling as she explained herself.

Embarrassed, all I could utter is a humble “Oh”.

“Yeah, 'Oh' is right. Now, are we goin' or not?”

“Of course we're going. I'm not missing out on this; I've waited all day for this, not to mention waiting the entire month to finally get out again.”

We headed into the direction of the forest. We walked for about an hour, then came to the old lake we were at just slightly over a month ago. We both got into our under-wear and decided to swim. We played for hours on end, and then it finally came to a halt.

There was this loud rustle next to the edge of the lake. It wasn't a bear, no, a bear would have been too large. Wanting to show Laura how brave I was, I darted out of the water to investigate. I walked over to the source of the noise and fumbled through some brush looking for an animal of some sort. Nothing was to be found.

“See Laura, it's nothi-”, just as I began to finish my sentence, a shriek from a Mountain Lion silenced the entire forest. Nothing made a sound. For the next three seconds, the only sound you could hear was that of your heart beating. Faster. And faster. And faster until you knew it could not any more. The darkness was but a small obstacle in my path as compared to what lied ahead.

I darted back to the lake to grab Laura and rush back home. We had left our clothes behind on the rock, and we ran. Oh boy we ran as fast as we could. We made it maybe about halfway to the house when we could hear the Mountain Lion behind us. Chasing us. Shrieking at every chance.

In a desperate attempt to save ourselves, Laura and I climbed up this small tree to hide. We slid out to a branch, and waited to see what would come. Ten minutes passed, and the silence continued.

“I think it may have-”, as I cut her sentence off to keep her silent. I saw it. This huge cat, with fur so elegant. His eyes gleaming in the dark. He was so majestic; it was so glorious and beautiful. But even beauty has danger. It had heard Laura, and began to dart straight toward us.

It clawed at the tree, but its paw seemed hurt so he was unable to climb the tree successfully. He leaped up at the branch we were at, but kept missing by a few feet. We felt we were safe, but the cat persisted. He jumped and jumped, and would never stop. Then, in one jump he scraped the branch in between where Laura and I sat. The branch snapped and she began to fall.

I grabbed her hand, her screaming as loud as any has ever screamed. Blood curdled at the very sound of it. She knew death was right at the door. The branch had cut my arms deep into them, blood gushed out from it, but my pain was nothing compared to what Laura experienced.

The lion continued to claw at her. Scratching her legs bare. Blood poured from them unceasingly. Tears streamed from her face from the terrible pain. Then one leg. SNAP! It had been broken. But it did not end there. The branch had been weakened by prolonged weight on it. The edge of the branch snapped leaving a jagged edge where I was still holding Laura. It sliced my arm, as if it was even recognizable as such. The muscle was exposed itself, and the bone had very little protection left itself.
My hand, now engorged with blood, had begun to lose its grip. I couldn't pull her up; I was nowhere near strong enough. Her hand slowly slipped from mine, and then...

She fell. The mountain Lion then tore her apart limb from limb, right in front of me. All I could do is scream...horrifically. A body dismemberment, and I had a front row seat of it being my best friend. Her face was beyond recognizable. Her skull had been smashed so much that her hair was blood red.

Her hands were gnawed off, and the flesh around the bone stripped. The worst part of it all, I could hear her screaming while it happened. She screamed for help, and none was there to give. This episode continued on until the lion finally smashed her throat, silencing all sound other than his carnal monstrosity.

All I could to was turn into the tree and cry. For hours upon hours I cried and wept over the loss of my friend.

*****

As the day went on and the sun protruded out above the trees, I could hear the faintest noise calling for Laura. I screamed for their attention, but no reply was issued back from them. I went louder and louder and still NOTHING! Then in the silence, I heard their voice ask, “Who's there”.

“Over here, help please!”  I begged for them to hurry as if it would do anything for Laura.

As they arrived they saw me in the tree, and I saw their face. It was Laura's father. He had in his hand a necklace for her, as it was her birthday next week and he would be gone out of town for business.

When I saw him, my body finally had given out. My eyes began to black out, and I could feel myself slipping.

*****

The next morning, I woke up in a hospital bed with an IV in my good arm. My room was empty for the first few minutes, and then a nurse came in and asked what my parent's names were. I told them, and the nurse said they would work on contacting them.

I begged her not to, but the nurse insisted that the hospital is obligated to contact the parents if they patient in question is a minor, which I was at the time.

In an hour the nurse comes back in saying they got in contact with my parents and they would be here momentarily.

Sure enough, 20 minutes later my mother came in with tears streaming, and my father with eyes watering to the brim. They thanked “god” that I was alright...they said they were glad I was safe...but if only they knew what I had seen, what I had gone through. The last thing I was, was alright or safe. I had killed my very own best friend.

It was my fault, was it not? Had I said no to going to the forest, she would not have died. If I had not gotten in the lake, she would still be here. Had I not wanted to impress her by finding the source of the noise, she'd still be breathing. Had I been strong enough to pull her back up, she would be laughing beside me now. Had I not let her blood stained hand go, she would not have suffered at the claws of that beast. It is my fault alone! I am to blame, am I not? Tell me where I am wrong! TELL ME!

*****

Two years later, I was still harboring this guilt and blame in my heart, I heard her screams every night when I tried to sleep. I saw the claws of the mountain lion scrape at her leg, and I could see my hand slip and let her go over and over again. Unending.

The incident had rid me of the life I once had. The friends I knew, slowly left me as my cold shoulder turned them away. My life became the epitome of anti-social. No one was allowed in, not my teachers, not the two remaining friends I had, not even my own mother.

My mother had the worst of it all. Anything she said, whether it be mean or kind, I would discount as the ramblings of a crazed lunatic. She said she loved me, and I would simply remain silent and glare into the nearest corner trying to hold back tears of my knowing that no one could love me.

But time pressed on. My father soon grew restless of all my antics, so one night he left, and I have yet to see him since. My mother mourned at this, but she didn't blame me like my father did. She blamed herself. 

The next few months were the worst I have ever had in my lifetime. Every word I said was negative. Anything positive I discounted through logic and reason. I concocted this world view that love could not exist, and that everything was motivated by selfish desire, no matter what the surface reason was.

My mother and I would get into countless arguments. Every day, something new. One time it was about the garbage, another time about religion, and again about chores...it was unceasing.

Then something broke inside of her. As if all that she had lost finally came into view and all it took was just a single push for her to crack. And I was the catalyst.

She turned to me, and looked straight into my eyes as serious as could be and said, “Son, I despise you with all that I am. You are no longer my son, I disown you. Get out of my home.”

Trying to brush it off, “But mom I was only...”

“GET OUT!”

And I left. This was the last thing I ever said to my mother. And those were the last words I heard her say to me. I had harbored such hate and resentment over the death of my friend that I had let it turn away the woman that promised me there was nothing I could do that would make her stop loving me.

*****

Since I was kicked out, I couldn't afford to eat and go to school, so I had to get a part-time job. Without the high-school diploma or funds to get into college, I was never admitted. The years went by, same job same place with very little change. My dream of being a Medical Doctor was but a faded dream of a different life.

My manager hated me, so I never rose from my position at work, but he never fired me because I worked so efficiently. My co-workers didn't speak to me, but rather avoided me in general. It is a lonesome life.

Now I am here today, talking to you. Explaining my life story in some desperate attempt it may teach you something or will simply make myself remembered. 

So what is the point of this story? Why bother telling it at all? It can't be anything special, can it? If you are asking this, then you missed the entire point of the story. Bitterness, hate, and guilt were stored inside of me. It was never let go, never forgiven. It changed me. Caused me to grow callous and spiteful toward everyone I see. There's little hope for me now, other than to warn you, do not become me.

This is the pursuit of misery, and I am at its end.

© 2013 Apebble


Author's Note

Apebble
I know there are grammar problems at the moment, and I am working on finding them all. The story is still easily read despite them, so please ignore them for now :)

Other than that, feel free to tell me your opinion :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

234 Views
Added on July 28, 2013
Last Updated on August 24, 2013
Tags: guilt, hate, death, pain, misery, love, change

Author

Apebble
Apebble

About
Hi all :) I go by apebble, but you can call me almost any variation of apebble you wish (peb, pebs, pebbles, ape, etc.)...just don't call me apple :P As for myself as a writer: I write generally.. more..

Writing
This One Life This One Life

A Story by Apebble