The Gardener

The Gardener

A Story by Apebble
"

A father-son project with universal impacts

"

Son, I was thinking about starting a garden,” said the father.



Why? You already have so much. Why bother with a garden? Couldn’t you just go to the market?”, the son asked.



I could, but I would like my own. Don't worry, I'll hire a gardener to tend to the plants and animals.”



Are you going to make me help build it?



I would like your help, yes.”



Days went on, and the Father was gathering his supplies in order to prepare for his new garden. He gathered soil, animals, and plants to fill his garden with. The son, being young at the time, couldn’t help with ordering the materials, but only with helping the father build the garden.



Tomorrow we will start constructing our garden, son. I'll need you to get to bed early tonight so we can start bright and early tomorrow,” the father informed.



On the first day, the father and son went out to the backyard, where the garden was to be built. The ground was ragged, the grass was long, and was not suitable for a garden...yet.



Why would you want to do this? It's going to take forever,” complained the son.



Nothing ever worth doing was easy,” said the father, ”If we work hard, everything will fall into place. If all goes according to plan, this garden will only take 6 days of us working. The first day we will put lighting out to help us see while we work. To get started, if you could, please go grab me the wiring, the light posts, and the bulbs.”



I’ll be right back,” the son promised.



A few minutes passed, and the son did not return. The father, beginning to become concerned, decided to go check on him. When the father came to he had put the materials, he saw his son trapped up under the beams.



Son! Come out of there!”, the father yelled.



They're too heavy. I’m stuck. I tried to carry the wires and beams at once, but the wires caused me to trip.”



After helping his son up, and brushing him off, the father told him, “You never have to bear the weight of everything by yourself. I will always be there if you call my name. I am your father, and I love you, but if you do not ask for my help, I do not know you require it.”



Yes father”



The two carried the materials back to the site and began to put up the lights. The father wired the lighting and put up the posts.



Oh! Oh! Can I plug it in? Please!”, the son asked.



I’m sorry son, but I don’t want you to get hurt. I promise that once we finish, you and I will have a nice day of relaxation,” the father said as he picked up the plug.



The father walked over to the outlet, and plugged the lights in, and they illuminated the darkness.



It’s beautiful father! What will we do tomorrow?”, the son said excitedly.



It is good, my son. For tomorrow, do not concern yourself. Focus on today, and for today only. Do not dwell on the past, as it cannot be changed, and do not attempt to change the future, as no one knows what it holds. Now, turn off these lights, and we are done for the night.”



Yes sir.”



On the second day, the son and father woke and started their day.



Today, son, we will be making a pool. I already have the hose, so can you go and get me the shovel?”



Sure! Will we get to go swimming in the pool?”



One day, you will.”, the father said.



The son ran to get the shovel, and returned.



OK, son, start digging a hole over there,”



How big should it be, father?”



It will be about three-fourths of the garden.”



Why so big?”



Because I want it that size. We have a lot of land here as it is, and to keep that land green and luscious, we will need a large water supply,” the father said.



As the son started to dig, the father went to the back and grabbed another shovel and started to help his son. When they finished the digging, the father grabbed the hose and began to fill the hole.



Son, we made a lot of progress today. You should be proud. This is good.”



Thanks, you didn't do that bad yourself. When do you think we are getting the animals?”



Soon enough son. First we have to get the land ready for them and make sure they can see well enough.”



With this, the father and son went to bed, and woke up the next day. When the two woke up, they headed to the shed where the soil, lawnmower, and plants all were.



Son, this is the day where the garden itself will be completed. After we do this, the only thing that remains is the more permanent lighting, the animals, and the gardener.”



Cool! Looks like we’re gonna be done just in time!”



We will indeed, but only if we remain diligent in our work. You must never quit what you begin, and must never start anything you do not intend to finish. Never try and fix something, and later ask to leave it be.”



OK father, I understand.”



Good. Now, go up on the porch while I get the lawnmower.”



The father started the mower and went over the remaining land. Once he finished mowing, the potential beauty of his garden was finally apparent.



Wow! It looks incredible!”, the son praised.



It looks good, yes, but we are not done. We need to plant the plants and prepare the land for the animals.”



Where do you want me to begin?”



Go dig holes for every tree. There are only two trees I need in specific locations: put one in the very center of the garden and the other next to the gate.”



Yes sir. What will you be doing?”



I am going to be planting the ground with the plants, place the grass seed down, and will be placing the trees in the holes you dig.”



Hours went by, and the son and father both finished. The garden embodied every beautiful color and brought life to the once dark land.

This is good, my son. I am very proud of your work. We only have three more days, and then our garden will be entirely complete.”



The two headed off to bed, and decided they would both sleep in a tad later as the next day wasn't as difficult.



Why didn’t we put the permanent lights up to begin with, father?”



Because I didn’t want any harm to come to them. These are more precious than the ones I put up before. Always protect what is valuable to you, whether it be the lights you use, or what you believe.”



Yes sir.”



Could you go take down these lights, and Ill put up the day light and the night lights.”



Once the son took down the lights, the father placed one big light post in the corner of the garden. It illuminated every corner the light reached. Closer to the center of the garden, the father put up the main night light, and scatter other lights throughout the garden.



So, tomorrow we get the animals?”



Some of them, yes. For now, I need you to head off to bed. I won’t be long.”



The father walked through his garden, looking and what he and his son had done. He looked at the centerpiece tree, and noticed its beauty.



The father, thinking to himself, “This tree is incredible...it is the most beautiful of all the trees in the garden. I will let your grow and blossom. For all the other trees, you will be the center and the prize.”



The father then headed off to bed.



The next day, the father and son woke extra early, as today was an important day. The animals.



Father! Father! What is this one called?”



It’s a bird son, but they have no specific name. Not yet at least.”



Can I name it?”, the son asked.



No, we are going to let the gardener name it.”



But why? They aren’t HIS birds, are they? They are mine, and I want to name them,” the son persisted.



The gardener will be given dominion over this garden, and the animals in it. It is only right for him to name what he is over. You will be over the gardener, and you and I will name him.”



The son and father took the fish out of their temporary containers and put them in the pool that they had dug on the second day. They then took the birds, and let them loose inside the garden. Despite the bird's freedom, none decided to leave, as they all found peace and food in this garden.



The birds are cool, but why didn't you bring in the land animals today? Those are the fun ones!”



One task at a time, my son. You cannot change the world in a day, but if you work hard at your task for long enough, you can make a difference. Tomorrow, we will put the animals here, and will hire our gardener.”



OK,” the son said as he went inside.



This is good,” the father finished.



The night went on, and the two woke up. They drove to the shed where the animals were being held, and let them loose in the garden.



Can I go play father? I want to see the animals!”



Not yet son. We must first hire the gardener. There is a time for everything, whether it be work, or play. This is a time for work.”



The two went outside the garden, and met a man. After speaking with him, the father began to enjoy his company. The man was without work, so, being charitable, the father offered him a  spot as their gardener.



Oh, I would love to! It would be an honor to come work for you Mister...hmmm...Mister?”, the man said.



You may call me father. Can you start today?”, the father asked the man.



Yes, I can, but do you mind giving me a ride? I am alone out here and don't have a quick way to your garden.”



No problem. Son, hop in the back and let me give this man a ride.”



But, father, why do I have to get in the back? I am your son. This man is only a gardener, and only the gardener for a day.”



Never give a man your second best, simply because you feel superior. The last are first, and the first are last. Be a servant to those below you, and obey those above you.”



Yes father”

The three rode back to the garden, where the father tasked the gardener with his job.



These animals need names, I will need you to take care of that. Name them anything you wish. Once you are done with that, you need to tend to the trees and plants, and make sure they are watered. For food, you may eat of any tree in the garden, except for one. The one in the center.”



Yes sir, I will get started right-a-way!”



The gardener then began to name the animals, and take care of the trees. He then began to eat of the trees, obeying the rule not to eat the center.


The father and son went back inside to the house, and looked out the window. The father began to tear up as he looked at what he and his son had built. They had made a new life, a new world for the gardener to grow in.



It is good,” The father said.



So, son, what do you want to name the gardener?”



Lets call him Adam,” the son said.


And the two headed off to bed.

© 2013 Apebble


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

amazing very imaginative loved it I think you should see if you can take the story further and write a book based on this poem lots of people love reading about different theories how it all began very original as well

Posted 10 Years Ago


Apebble

10 Years Ago

I do plan on continuing it with the introduction of Eve, The Fall, possibly the flood, the cross, an.. read more
Jackie Porter

10 Years Ago

glad to hear your going to continue with it I think with the fallen angels you could make that the 2.. read more
Apebble

10 Years Ago

Hey, I managed to figure out a way to continue it! The reason I hedged is because I didn't know how .. read more
THis is a marvellous Genesis anology. I enjoyed reading it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Apebble

10 Years Ago

Thanks for taking the time to read and for reviewing!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

341 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 16, 2013
Last Updated on September 16, 2013

Author

Apebble
Apebble

About
Hi all :) I go by apebble, but you can call me almost any variation of apebble you wish (peb, pebs, pebbles, ape, etc.)...just don't call me apple :P As for myself as a writer: I write generally.. more..

Writing
This One Life This One Life

A Story by Apebble